Heritage Owners Club

Why did YOU buy your first Heritage guitar ?

peteraltongreen

I bought mine out of pure luck. Of course we all know luck is when preparation meets opportunity. I've been wanting a real American made Les Paul but the sticker shock kept me from it. When an opportunity came to buy one that was a headstock repair, I knew my time had finally come. I couldn't pass it up, I had to have it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was playing music locally in Kalamazoo. Watched Heritage start and grow. All my friends were buying Heritage guitars. I knew they were great guitars but I was playing a '66 ES-335 and a '72 Thinline Telecaster and wasn't interested in buying another guitar. Took another day job and moved an hour north. Eventually ended up finding an old time swing-jazz gig. Started looking for an L-5. Walked into a ma & pa store and on the wall was a Heritage Eagle Classic production model that was all mahogany. Literally the second it hit my hands my heart & soul knew it was really built for me, somebody else just happen to own it. We agreed upon a price and end of story. Still own the 335 and Tele along with some others but the Eagle is my main ax.

I started with a list of criteria that the guitar had to have...

semi-hollow

humbuckers

ebony fret board

made in America

great value

beauty

... led my right to a 555.

Horace

semi-hollow

humbuckers

ebony fret board

made in America

great value

beauty

Horace

I should add that my search lasted about 6 or 7 months and along the way I found this forum. Reading the notes several times a week here put me way over the top for a Heritage and the excitement on this forum really added to the pleasure of my buying and waiting ( Wolfe guitars - custom order = 4 months ) for the great day of its arrival.

Horace

When I was busy rockin' a Gibby Les Paul, and occasionally a strat, my jazz yearnings resulted in a search for a semi-hollow. On the surface, used prices for 535's and, occasionally, Gibby's Howard Roberts Fusion models, drew me that direction. Also, every Gibby 335 that I played felt and sounded different. Meanwhile, everytime I played a 535, there was a consistency of great feel and play that I couldn't ignore. After dropping several hints, it was actually my wife who bought my first Heritage for me....sight unseen on Ebay...her first-ever Ebay transaction...killer, man! I will someday re-obtain that particular 535, when the new owner is over HIS love affair with it (if that ever happens...hope it does).

The rest were just a case of fine-tuning the sound I was looking for.

Guest HRB853370

Just thinking today ( Raining,of course ) Why did I buy a Heritage guitar in the first place ?

O.K. Why ? For me,I'd been getting a little worried carrying a Gibson L5 to some of the gigs I was doing.As things changed,and I seemed to be getting less 'prestige' work,and more general,run of the mill stuff,with it's rougher audiences,I feared for my guitar.So,I thought I'd approach Gibson to do me a custom job.I'd always liked the Les Paul,but it was too heavy for me.I scanned the catalogues,and came up with an idea for a blend of the ES140,with it's attractive sharp (175 like ) cutaway,and small hollow body.I didn't like the short scale.So,I thought with a bit of adjustment,it might take a 24 3/4" scale,still be in balance on a strap,and I'd get what I wanted.Then I thought,if they make it with a centre block,like the 335 & a stop bar..wow what a monster ! I approach Gibson initially,but they said I had to deal with Rosetti,the British distributors.I knew then the price would go through the roof,and I was right.The estimates went sky high,and the appeal of having a custom Gibson,that would hopefully have cost a little less than the L5 vanished into thin air ! Fate,of course,intervened ! I was down my local guitar shop in Hull,Yorkshire,U.K. (Then Music Workshop,now 'Antones Guitars') on one of my regular trips ( Feb 1987 ),when Tony ,the owner showed me the Heritage H140CM. Love at first sight ! It fitted the bill,perfectly.Right shape,Right scale length,wasn't heavy,and oh!,that top ! A deal was done,and I went home a very happy man. The Heritage H575 came soon after (1988).I've come up with a crude mock up photo to show what I wanted,and a photo to show what I got.I'm taking H140 out for a spin tonight,through a Fender Concert & a Blonde 2 x 12" Fender cab.I know it will sound great !

Peter Alton Green :icon_thumright:

I think there was a very similar thread a while ago. I read the storyline. I believed in the storyline. I ordered one, without ever having held or played it. It arrived and it was heavenly and I never really gravitated to anything else since. Amen.

Guest HRB853370

:this_thread_is_useless_without_

semi-hollow

humbuckers

ebony fret board

made in America

great value

beauty

Horace

Guest HRB853370

Cool Story! Unlike you, I am merely a hobbyist player, and have WAY more stuff than I need/deserve. After looking high and low to finally find a Gibson ES-335 without finish flaws that felt and sounded good, I ended up with my Gibson ES-335 Memphis Reissue. Great guitar, but in the process of finding it, a small, dying music shop had a few Heritages on the wall, on of which was a 535. I really liked it, but I HAD to have the Gibson. Fast forward a couple of years, and I was on The Gear Page forum, when some "Brent" guy casually asked the masses "How many of you own a Heritage Guitar?" or something like that. The pics and the praises started flowing in, and I went on the hunt, naturally, right there on The Gear Page. I found my trans-red 535 in April of last year, and thought, "there, that should scratch THAT itch.." Not so fast. I found more and more "can't pass up" deals on Heritage guitars, and I now own six. I had to sell some pretty decent guitars to fund some of the Heritages, but I don't regret it for a minute! Here's what started it all....

Summer2011020-1.jpg

Ha, I bet my trans red 535 is prettier than yours.

Just kidding Dog.

Nice!

post-2130-0-56364200-1308539582_thumb.jpg

Browsing eBay a couple of years ago, I noticed High End Guitars (the UK distributors) were selling off old stock. I already had a 1989 335 Dot reissue (which I still have) and saw a 535 VSB at a reasonable price. I contacted High End and arranged a visit; the original 535 (with Duncan 59s) was nice but not quite right for me, but I then tried one with HRWs and that was the one. It was a bit more expensive, but worth it.

post-1813-0-14431100-1308560614_thumb.jpg

Well, I guess it was about 1996 or so. I was working at a mom and pop shop that happened to also be a Gibby dealer. I had a VERY low opinion of Gibby especially after having worked there. That opinion was "This thing costs how much? ... and WHAT is wrong with it?" Just felt like you had to fight it to play it.

Anyways, one day, a used Heritage came in. I thought it was a sub line of Gibson because of its appearance and that it was made in K'zoo. I didn't know the story nor that Gibson had long closed that plant.

I happened to mention to the standing manager my thoughts about the budget Gibby and was wondering how much worse a Gibby could get at that price. He told me to play it. I did. I told him that is the first time I had ever wanted to own a Gibby. Then he filled me in. I was stunned. Of course, my initial reaction was like most, "WHY DOESN'T ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS?"

I couldn't afford one but when one came in used, I never had to try to sell it. They rarely lasted more than a day in the shop. I would usually send a frustrated Gibson buyer over to it, and they had the same experience I did. I told them the story... and it was gone.

After a divorce, I met a girl and we started dating. She found out I played guitar and she asked me if I had ever heard of Heritage Guitars. I was, first, shocked she even heard of it as it was more of a musician's thing to know of Heritage. I then went into my rant about how great I thought they were. She then laid it on me that she was the grand niece of Marvin Lamb.

We eventually married and I got my first Heritage a couple of years later.

:this_thread_is_useless_without_

Old and only photo from the arrival day in 2009. I'll take more and post soon, now that I know how...

555.jpg

Horace

Well, I guess it was about 1996 or so. I was working at a mom and pop shop that happened to also be a Gibby dealer. I had a VERY low opinion of Gibby especially after having worked there. That opinion was "This thing costs how much? ... and WHAT is wrong with it?" Just felt like you had to fight it to play it.

Anyways, one day, a used Heritage came in. I thought it was a sub line of Gibson because of its appearance and that it was made in K'zoo. I didn't know the story nor that Gibson had long closed that plant.

I happened to mention to the standing manager my thoughts about the budget Gibby and was wondering how much worse a Gibby could get at that price. He told me to play it. I did. I told him that is the first time I had ever wanted to own a Gibby. Then he filled me in. I was stunned. Of course, my initial reaction was like most, "WHY DOESN'T ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS?"

I couldn't afford one but when one came in used, I never had to try to sell it. They rarely lasted more than a day in the shop. I would usually send a frustrated Gibson buyer over to it, and they had the same experience I did. I told them the story... and it was gone.

After a divorce, I met a girl and we started dating. She found out I played guitar and she asked me if I had ever heard of Heritage Guitars. I was, first, shocked she even heard of it as it was more of a musician's thing to know of Heritage. I then went into my rant about how great I thought they were. She then laid it on me that she was the grand niece of Marvin Lamb.

There are a lot of neat stories here, but THIS one is the thread-winner, in my opinion. What are the odds?!

I bought my Heritage cause I just found that heritage is the best. How I got my H555 was an extremely lucky encounter. I was in Wolfe Guitars and I was about ready to leave when I saw this H555 (my H555) all covered by other guitars way in the back of the row it was on. So I asked Graham the main worker there, "How much is that beautiful guitar" and waited practically cupping my hands over my ears, thinking the price would blow my head off. Then he says "$1950 dollars" and I ask if I could play it. Then you know the rest of the story.....post-3895-0-82989100-1308575044_thumb.jpg

There are a lot of neat stories here, but THIS one is the thread-winner, in my opinion. What are the odds?!

You're telling me! haha. She is VERY proud of her great uncle and what he has done. Strong supporter of me getting Heritage guitars. I just wish my bank account was as supportive. haha.

I can't remember how I got wind of Heritage guitars, but my first was a 555 antique natural that I won on an eBay auction about 3-4 years ago for 1200-ish dollars. It arrived in "9" condition at least. Since then I have purchased two Millies, a 2000 limited edition ultra, (#11) and a one of a kind custom order guitar from a heritage dealer, he sold it to put some money into his next custom build. Two xmas's ago, a Gretsch-y looking h516 arrived, and most recently, the 576 mentioned in my very recent thread about "Don't look at guitars on eBay after drinking." All have been stellar values, all have their own, absolutely wonderful tones. Could not be happier, so proud to own a few from the folks at K'zoo! Camera's busted, so please don't razz about no pics. I apologize for that, but I don't have to apologize to anyone about how my Heritage guitars look and especially sound on stage... :music_mini2:

One of my buddies told me that he noticed that Heritages on average tend to look better on on eBay's auctions than G brand gits of the same type do, as if Heritage owners tended to take better care of their instruments than the G owners do. I think he's right, as if there's tendency to more owner's pride in a guitar built with more care and pride.

Hey,Guys.

Thanks for all those great stories.As promised,I took my H140CM out gigging last Sunday(19th June 2011 ).I'd forgotten just how good that little monster is ! I've included a couple of shots.Photo 1 is the English view of Rock 'n Roll,by an ageing player.The guitar,of course,A book of words & chords ( memories giving up ! )and a pint of best English bitter beer.( to steady the nerves ! )

Photo 2 shows the gear,all set & ready to blow the old girls away ! The amp is a Fender Concert ( Rivera Design )into a 2 x 12" Fender cab.Anyone notice the old Orange Ludwig 1960's Kit ? The band are the 'Aces',who have been in the area since the late 1950's.The night was fantastic,as we dealt out all the old songs from the early rockers. Coda : I got re booked for Friday,1st July !

Peter Alton Green :icon_thumright:

post-1702-0-03226400-1308688492_thumb.jpg

post-1702-0-86158100-1308688541_thumb.jpg

I first heard about Heritage from my amp tech, who was remorseful because he had a killer H150 but *had* to have a Gibson, so he sold the Heritage & bought a les paul. needless to say, he was disappointed and rued the day he got rid of the Heritage. In Canada they were pretty rare at the time so he never got a chance to replace it

couple years later I was in a local store & saw one on consignment….since there were plenty of Gibson gtrs in there as well, I had lots of time to compare the two breeds

the H150 came home with me that day, and is still my #1 electric gtr

Cool stories! I've often wondered how or why others have purchased Heritage Gutars.

I bought my first Heritage guitar entirely on a whim in 1994, and at the time I was looking for a ES-335 and had never heard of Heritage. A guy at a local music store just happened to have a like-new 1992 H535 in stock, showed it to me, and from there he gave me a short history about Heritage Guitars. I fell in love with that guitar the second I picked it up, and within 15 or 20 minutes I was out the door with my new (used) H535. While I really had no specific reason to buy a Heritage, I instantly knew that I had found a very fine instrument.

I also replaced the original maple pickguard on it right away, for I knew the finish wouldn't last long if I had left it on. The current pickguard is a 3-ply plastic black jobbie that I cut and installed, but I still have the original one that's in perfect condition. The laminated top has also cracked and lifted around the f-hole from arm sweat, and it's been refretted as well. It's been played pretty hard, but she's still a warrior:

Heritage535.jpg

Your guitar has that perfect color combo that I'm going to have my H-550 refinished in, now that I finally have a job!

I can't remember how I got wind of Heritage guitars, but my first was a 555 antique natural that I won on an eBay auction about 3-4 years ago for 1200-ish dollars. It arrived in "9" condition at least. Since then I have purchased two Millies, a 2000 limited edition ultra, (#11) and a one of a kind custom order guitar from a heritage dealer, he sold it to put some money into his next custom build. Two xmas's ago, a Gretsch-y looking h516 arrived, and most recently, the 576 mentioned in my very recent thread about "Don't look at guitars on eBay after drinking." All have been stellar values, all have their own, absolutely wonderful tones. Could not be happier, so proud to own a few from the folks at K'zoo! Camera's busted, so please don't razz about no pics. I apologize for that, but I don't have to apologize to anyone about how my Heritage guitars look and especially sound on stage... :music_mini2:

One of my buddies told me that he noticed that Heritages on average tend to look better on on eBay's auctions than G brand gits of the same type do, as if Heritage owners tended to take better care of their instruments than the G owners do. I think he's right, as if there's tendency to more owner's pride in a guitar built with more care and pride.

Wanted my guitar to be as much like Kessel's as possible. Put a CC pickup, etc., on it.

Ok, THAT'S a story!

I used to jam every Friday with my buddy, Rob D. He introduced me to the Heritage brand and told me that now iconic story of their beginnings. Next thing I know he's dragging me to Berkeley's Blue Note Music to check them out. I was immediately sold on the quality and value, but did not have the cash for a new one. I wanted an archtop SO bad.

Rob ended up getting an Academy Custom right off of the floor at NAMM. I later found a gorgeous Sweet 16 on Ebay that I have quite the emotional bond with to this day. She is such a 'sweetie'!

its a #1 looking guitar!!!!

• 9 months later...

Owned a 1977 G Johnny Smith for over 25 years. Bought it with money from my first really good paying job when I was 21. Started to have issues with the 25" neck (my old, banged up hands) and also wanted a tone control and neck in the body. Learned about Heritage from RMMGJ newsgroup where I regularly lurk. Started looking at the H-575 Mahogany/Spruce with 4pt. HRW on the website. Purchased mine from Jay Wolfe (after a long phone call) who is a great guy to do business with BTW, back before he opened the stores I think. The 575 is lighter (the G JS was WAY too heavy) and far more resonant. The first thing I noticed is how I can feel the back actually vibrating against my belly. It is not as ornate, nor does it have the "snob appeal" of a G JS, but it works better for me. I love it with a set of TI strings ...

Archived