Heritage Owners Club

New H-555 Problems

Nolla

Just snagged a new h555 from a friend who bought it, had it for less than a day, decided it wasnt his shade of blue, and traded it to me. All was well for the first few days until I noticed what appeared to be a smudge with a tiny scratch next to it on the back of the 3rd fret. After running my finger over it for a minute I realized that it wasnt on the exterior of the finish but actually beneath it. Now on certain areas of the back of the neck, if I press down with my thumb, it makes a smudge like pock mark below the lacquer. Also if I run my (rounded, and in no way sharp) finger nail even very very gently over the finish of the back of the neck it leaves scratches and these awful marks on the layer below the top coat of finish. As if it were glue that hadnt quite hardened all the way through and was still kinda gooey under the hardened topcoat. Also where the heel of the neck meets the body of the guitar, the two layers of lacquer dont match up very well at all and I can see that any rubbing is going to cause some chipping in the finish in a very short period of time. I am really really disappointed as my understanding of heritage especially the custom shop Heritages were supposed to be of a much higher quality than Gibson or anyone else and in all my years and all the guitars Ive owned I have never seen such a poor job or thin finish. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or issues with the finish/lacquer on their H555's?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would take it back to the dealer where it was purchased and let the dealer handle it....i should say, your friend should take it back to the dealer, the 1 year warentee applies to the ORIGINAL PURCHASER.

Before everybody jumps in....

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS TURN INTO A BIG BASHING THREAD!!!!

I have been told by Vince, Ren, Jim and Marv.....

"if you have a problem with one of our guitars take it back to your dealer and we will take care of it"

- enough said....

i would take it back to the dealer where it was purchased and let the dealer handle it....i should say, your friend should take it back to the dealer, the 1 year warentee applies to the ORIGINAL PURCHASER.

The problem with that is, the friend is an hour and a half and the dealer in more like 2 and a half hours away.

Im just disheartened and disappointed that a company that prides itself apparently on being such "high quality" would let an instrument labeled "custom shop" leave their facility with a problem like this. I have to assume that everything Ive read on other boards about the total decline in and of craftsmanship and quality control over the past few years is true. I emailed them days ago and they still have yet to respond. I hate to ever agree with Ed Roman on anything but...

Before everybody jumps in....

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS TURN INTO A BIG BASHING THREAD!!!!

I have been told by Vince, Ren, Jim and Marv.....

"if you have a problem with one of our guitars take it back to your dealer and we will take care of it"

- enough said....

Im not bashing here. Im just putting out there a poor experience Ive had with the guitar and their customer service. I didnt realize that every post on here had to be rosy and sunny and full of praise for heritage guitars, or obviously I wouldnt have joined and posted about it. My original post ended with a question about whether or not anyone else had any issues with H555s and their finishes. I apologize in advance if thats out of the depth of the people and/or moderators of this website. Thanks anyway.

The problem with that is, the friend is an hour and a half and the dealer in more like 2 and a half hours away.

Im just disheartened and disappointed that a company that prides itself apparently on being such "high quality" would let an instrument labeled "custom shop" leave their facility with a problem like this. I have to assume that everything Ive read on other boards about the total decline in and of craftsmanship and quality control over the past few years is true. I emailed them days ago and they still have yet to respond. I hate to ever agree with Ed Roman on anything but...

I understand your disappointment but it's now on you to handle this situation. If your friend sold you a defective guitar that you are unhappy with than he should do the right thing and take it back (unless your friend actually is Ed Roman, than your SOL!). If however, you like the guitar and want the finish problem fixed than you need to do as Brent suggested.

Either way, complaining about it on the intrawebs but not following up with real action will get you no where. Good luck!

I understand your disappointment but it's now on you to handle this situation. If your friend sold you a defective guitar that you are unhappy with than he should do the right thing and take it back (unless your friend actually is Ed Roman, than your SOL!). If however, you like the guitar and want the finish problem fixed than you need to do as Brent suggested.

Either way, complaining about it on the intrawebs but not following up with real action will get you no where. Good luck!

Once again, I emailed them about it days ago, without having received a reply. I emailed them again today, hoping for the best. I went with my friend when he picked up the guitar and essentially he didnt play it at all and within say, 16 hours the guitar was mine anyway. My friend didnt sell me a bunk guitar or a guitar that had any problems associated with it that were done by him. Just looking for some clarification by other people who own Heritage guitars, on whether or not mine is an isolated incident. Also, just the fact that there even is anything now "on me" with a brand new guitar of this caliber says something in and of itself.

Guest HRB853370

Look, I think you have a legitimate issue for discussion (not bashing) on the board. Very few folks have had such major difficulties, but it is very good to voice them here. And as Brent pointed out, it may seem an inconvenience for you to take the proper steps, and you definitely should not have had to in the first place, it is what it is. I am very curious as to why your friend did not have knowledge of these problems prior to selling it to you! By the way, calling them is always better than emailing them, especially with a quality issue. Ren usually answers the phone and he will take care of you.

I would still argue it is worth the drive.

Im just disheartened and disappointed that a company that prides itself apparently on being such "high quality" would let an instrument labeled "custom shop" leave their facility with a problem like this.

Totally understandable. Just let them have the chance to fix things.

I have to assume that everything Ive read on other boards about the total decline in and of craftsmanship and quality control over the past few years is true.

No, you really don't. You do not have to assume that based on one guitar that happens to have a finish problem. In ANY shop, mistakes will happen.

I emailed them days ago and they still have yet to respond.

Call them. They are not noted for being great with email.

I hate to ever agree with Ed Roman on anything but...

DoubleFacePalm2.jpg

Im not bashing here. Im just putting out there a poor experience Ive had with the guitar and their customer service.

Sure. Just give them a call, or have your friend take it back to the dealer. Honestly, having your friend take it back to the dealer is probably the quickest & best way to resolve this.

I didnt realize that every post on here had to be rosy and sunny and full of praise for heritage guitars, or obviously I wouldnt have joined and posted about it.

They don't. Complaint threads on ANY board do run the risk of turning into bashing a/o gripe fests between people. It's teh nature of teh Interwebz.

My original post ended with a question about whether or not anyone else had any issues with H555s and their finishes. I apologize in advance if thats out of the depth of the people and/or moderators of this website. Thanks anyway.

Occasional problems do pop up. Generally, they are both the exception AND Heritage has a pretty good track record of taking ownership of said problems when given the opportunity. In this case, the original owner should take it back to the point of sale and ask the dealer to take care of it. A 2.5 hour car trip will be less hassle than shipping it somewhere. They should replace the guitar with one that has no issues, or give your friend the money back, and then you can go from there hopefully with an immediate result.

Best of luck, and I hope you stick around.

Look, I think you have a legitimate issue for discussion (not bashing) on the board. Very few folks have had such major difficulties, but it is very good to voice them here. And as Brent pointed out, it may seem an inconvenience for you to take the proper steps, and you definitely should not have had to in the first place, it is what it is. I am very curious as to why your friend did not have knowledge of these problems prior to selling it to you!

I am pretty sure that any issues with the finish or lacquer when he (and I, because I was there) picked up the guitar initially other than where the heel meets the body would have been very hard to see. I am under the impression that they became more and more apparent as the guitar was played the following few days. The top coat of the lacquer has no scratches that can be felt by running your fingers over it, but if you press down on the top coat with your nail, however gently it may be, it will leave a scratch mark below the surface of the lacquer. the more I play the worse the marks get. possibly too thin of a finish? maybe the lacquer didnt bond completely in some spots? hoping someone on here might have had a similar experience to relate to is all.

p.s. I am in no way associated or friends with, nor would I purchase a guitar from, Ed Roman.

Once again, I emailed them about it days ago, without having received a reply. I emailed them again today, hoping for the best.

Call them. I love Heritage, but if you wait for them to email you back you might be waiting a while. For all we know it ended up in their spam folder or something. So, um, call them. They are very friendly.

I went with my friend when he picked up the guitar and essentially he didnt play it at all and within say, 16 hours the guitar was mine anyway. My friend didnt sell me a bunk guitar or a guitar that had any problems associated with it that were done by him.

That makes sense. Still, the shop is your main point of contact for this. Since your friend bought the guitar (and sold it to you), it would at least be nice (and appropriate) for him to help you out with the return/exchange.

Just looking for some clarification by other people who own Heritage guitars, on whether or not mine is an isolated incident.

It's an isolated (or at least uncommon) incident.

Also, just the fact that there even is anything now "on me" with a brand new guitar of this caliber says something in and of itself.

It says that Heritage is not perfect. That is really what it says in my opinion. To be fair, you get that with any manufacturer. You are totally right to be upset, however, that seems like a pretty legit beef. I hope you give them another shot, to either fix this guitar or replace it with another one.

I would still argue it is worth the drive.

Totally understandable. Just let them have the chance to fix things.

No, you really don't. You do not have to assume that based on one guitar that happens to have a finish problem. In ANY shop, mistakes will happen.

Call them. They are not noted for being great with email.

DoubleFacePalm2.jpg

Sure. Just give them a call, or have your friend take it back to the dealer. Honestly, having your friend take it back to the dealer is probably the quickest & best way to resolve this.

They don't. Complaint threads on ANY board do run the risk of turning into bashing a/o gripe fests between people. It's teh nature of teh Interwebz.

Occasional problems do pop up. Generally, they are both the exception AND Heritage has a pretty good track record of taking ownership of said problems when given the opportunity. In this case, the original owner should take it back to the point of sale and ask the dealer to take care of it. A 2.5 hour car trip will be less hassle than shipping it somewhere. They should replace the guitar with one that has no issues, or give your friend the money back, and then you can go from there hopefully with an immediate result.

Best of luck, and I hope you stick around.

Thanks Halowords. I have tried calling them and invariably I get their machine, even during normal hours. I will be very disappointed if the guitar needs to be sent away so quickly as my understanding is their turn around time is not the quickest. I will of course try them again tomorrow and see how that goes.

Once again, I emailed them about it days ago, without having received a reply. I emailed them again today, hoping for the best. I went with my friend when he picked up the guitar and essentially he didnt play it at all and within say, 16 hours the guitar was mine anyway. My friend didnt sell me a bunk guitar or a guitar that had any problems associated with it that were done by him. Just looking for some clarification by other people who own Heritage guitars, on whether or not mine is an isolated incident. Also, just the fact that there even is anything now "on me" with a brand new guitar of this caliber says something in and of itself.

If someone sold me a guitar that I deemed to be defective, I would get my money back. Period.

Good luck to you. I hope you get this resolved in a manner that makes you happy.

Thanks Halowords. I have tried calling them and invariably I get their machine, even during normal hours. I will be very disappointed if the guitar needs to be sent away so quickly as my understanding is their turn around time is not the quickest. I will of course try them again tomorrow and see how that goes.

Odds are the guitar will need to be sent back to them. I doubt a finish problem is something they can talk you through over the phone.

If someone sold me a guitar that I deemed to be defective, I would get my money back. Period.

Good luck to you. I hope you get this resolved in a manner that makes you happy.

Ditto! Your friend, intentionally or otherwise, sold you a defective guitar. By extension, the guitar shop sold HIM a defective guitar. That implies no intentional wrongdoing by anybody. The guitar really should A) go back to your friend and then B) back to the shop. Granted, maybe Heritage makes it right, they tend to have a reputation for doing so. Still, the guitar will almost certainly have to go somewhere to be fixed, returned, or repaired. As somebody who bought it from a friend who just bought it new, the best choice is for you to get your money back from your friend, for him to get his money back from the shop, and then start with a clean slate thereafter.

Odds are the guitar will need to be sent back to them. I doubt a finish problem is something they can talk you through over the phone.

Ditto! Your friend, intentionally or otherwise, sold you a defective guitar. By extension, the guitar shop sold HIM a defective guitar. That implies no intentional wrongdoing by anybody. The guitar really should A) go back to your friend and then B) back to the shop. Granted, maybe Heritage makes it right, they tend to have a reputation for doing so. Still, the guitar will almost certainly have to go somewhere to be fixed, returned, or repaired. As somebody who bought it from a friend who just bought it new, the best choice is for you to get your money back from your friend, for him to get his money back from the shop, and then start with a clean slate thereafter.

Well other than this issue I LOVE this guitar. Sound and plays like butter. If it has to go back I will be extremely saddened, like a kid who gets a new puppy and has to take it back to the pet store because its tail fell off or something.

I agree with what others have tried to tell you to do.

If you call Heritage between 7:30-9:30 AM (EST) M-TR (THEY ARE CLOSED ON FRIDAY) someone always picks up.

Let the dealer and/or Heritage directly deal with this issue.

You also have to realize that, like it or not, you bought a used guitar. Your friend might have to step up and help, or there probably will be some refinish cost on your part. If he is a friend he will help, if he is not a friend, well then you might have to pay the costs.

Heritage is not good/don't use e-mail so reach out via the phone.

Regardless of your situation with the guitar, the seller (your friend) is the one resonsable for making this right with you....and then it is nextly the dealers responsability to make it right with your friend.

PEROID

This guitar is under warentee. i suggest you/your friend uses it.

Another straightforward solution is to have your friend call the dealer, explain the problem, and then one of you ship it to the dealer to take care of.

Probably the dealer will ship it back to Heritage. He may also give you credit at his store to buy something else.

I'll bet it would cost only $20 to ship once you've boxed it up.

BTW, I've never heard of this finish problem before. The finish is made up of two nitro solutions. The first goes on dry wood and has coloring. The second is clear coat. The first can't still be wet while the top layer is dry.

Maybe someone can explain.

Another straightforward solution is to have your friend call the dealer, explain the problem, and then one of you ship it to the dealer to take care of.

Probably the dealer will ship it back to Heritage. He may also give you credit at his store to buy something else.

I'll bet it would cost only $20 to ship once you've boxed it up.

BTW, I've never heard of this finish problem before. The finish is made up of two nitro solutions. The first goes on dry wood and has coloring. The second is clear coat. The first can't still be wet while the top layer is dry.

Maybe someone can explain.

For all intents and purposes, my friend bought it, paid cash, and I had it in my possession within 24 hours. It might as well have been me handing the cash over as i dare say anyone would consider this me purchasing a "used" instrument. I could have hurt my hand and he was just the one handing over the cash and picking up the guitar for me, as I was standing there too. In any event, as far as it goes, I cant describe the problem any better than, if i run my fingernail over the top coat gently, it doesnt put a scratch in it but it does however leave a visible scratch or line or mark in the lacquer beneath it. I should be able to run even the sharpest of fingernails over the coating of a quality guitar neck without leaving such marks. I have never had this experience before either and thats why I posted originally.

All of us here are anxious to see how you handle this very unique issue. You have been given some excellent suggestions and answers to most of your concerns. That is all any of us can do. The first steps towards resolving the guitar's QC issues you've raised now rest in your hands.

Yes, it is a pain to have to spend your time and energy working towards a solution, but Heritage is known for making good on warranty issues once brought to their attention.

Keep us posted on how you work this out with the seller, the dealer and Heritage.

I can't say that I've ever heard of that type of problem before. It could be a materials problem with the first down lacquer coat, but generally, an NC lacquer will dry even after you put a second (or third or 4th) coat on. It takes time but it's not like a paint with a clear coat where you have two different coating types. There one may seal the second to prevent curing.

Can you see the defects with a camera. That might help.

As previously said, I would have the dealer work with them.

I can't say that I've ever heard of that type of problem before. It could be a materials problem with the first down lacquer coat, but generally, an NC lacquer will dry even after you put a second (or third or 4th) coat on. It takes time but it's not like a paint with a clear coat where you have two different coating types. There one may seal the second to prevent curing.

Can you see the defects with a camera. That might help.

As previously said, I would have the dealer work with them.

I have taken a few photos but the flash tends to obscure the "whiter" areas leaving only the smaller superficial looking lower coat "scratch marks" in the picture. This just makes it looklike ive accidentally scratched the finish rather than the whole, every time i push on it or run my fingernail against it, it leaves a mark type thing.

My H-555 is, dare I say it, perfect! And I bought it used! So, I would say yours is definitely an isolated case.

I had a problem with an H-157 I used to have. Like you, I was very disappointed in Heritage. Even though I had to send the guitar back--twice--they did take care of it.

Give them a chance. They will try to do everything they can to please you. They aren't some big corporation just out to get your money. When you talk to them on the phone, you are talking to the owners!

This one is sort of sticky.

This would be warranty work; however, since you are the second buyer, the warranty is void. BUT... if your friend is indeed a friend and this issue really gnaws at you (and it may), then I would see about having your friend call it in as warranty work. Heritage is very good about making good on warranty work gone through proper channels and even sometimes not through proper channels.

Ultimately, whatever this issue is, the previous owner didn't notice it or didn't think much of it if he did. The sale is between you and the friend. That is where the real issue needs to be worked out. Either return it to him, get some of your money back or see if the previous owner will act as a go between in getting this issue dealt with. If a refinish is in order, you may be waiting a couple months for a new guitar to be sprayed and cured.

In the end, as nice as it is to hope you get a flawless guitar when new, I have never known a manufacturer to live up to such a standard. Understand I worked for a couple of the big box guitar retailers and saw literally hundreds and hundreds of examples of every major brand.

The only place I believe you can get anything approaching FLAWLESS quality is from the one-at-a-time-by-one-builder shop and, believe me, what you spent on that Heritage... or even three times that amount wouldn't even get the build started. These tend to cost 10's of thousands of dollars and will take a VERY long time to build as the wood may not react to a part of the process as it normally would, or the finish doesn't cure properly... or a bit of the binding got knicked in the binding process.... and some or all of the whole thing has to be started over.

My H575 has some flaws. Minor. Chances are, I will be the only one to ever notice them. The fact that these flaws happen are hardly a mark on the company. If they were unwilling to tend to the issue, then that would be on Heritage. If you don't give them the opportunity to tend to the issue, then that is hardly on Heritage.

The character of a company, to me, is not as much in how high their ceiling is, but how high the floor is and how well they work with issues. Heritage comes through big time in these. They have pretty high ceiling and their floor isn't much below that and will take care of issues that fall below that floor.

Give them the opportunity through proper channels and you will not be dissappointed. Don't... and well, you probably just need to keep looking for that guitar that is, to you, flawless.

Archived