Heritage Owners Club

New H-555 Problems

Nolla

Id just return it to the dealer and get money back. Buy a different one. It's already defective so get rid of it, why wait months for reapairs and shipping hassle ect. Heritages are top notch you just got un lucky and got one with a problem.... Thier made by hand so every now and then somthing goes wrong but not very often. Dont let this sour you on a heritage thier almost always superb!!! Just get another and make nice and easy on yourself. problem solved :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul that was much less than steller. Headstock Vaneer was seperating as well as a lot of wear marks just from hanging on a wall. Frets were not leveled and selector switch was loose. Not exactly what I'd expect a custom shop guitar to be. Mistakes happen, but honestly, I don't like laquored necks anyway. I'd rather see it sanded down to a natural finish with no nitro on it...

This thread is strong with the fail.

For one thing, Nolla, you are not the original owner, end of story. Unless the warranty is transferable, Heritage has absolutely no legal obligation to help you out, and neither does the the owner of the store. You purchased a used guitar. If you have issues, you should be contacting the owner that you purchased it from, your friend. I would think the if he's really your "friend" he would quickly offer to help you with getting warranty service, by providing you with the original receipt, so you can go back to the store and have it taken care of.

Now, how long ago was this guitar purchased. You said your friend had it one day, right? How long have you had it? What is the serial number/build date? How long was it at the store you bought it from? was it polished with any kind of guitar polish or other polish?

Those aren't "smudges", they are air bubbles moving under the finish, and when it separates from the wood the finish becomes somewhat opaque. I have a guitar that has a blue finish with some dingers, and those parts appear to be lighter/smudges due to separation from the wood.

As for your opinions, I do not share them, and can conclude that you don't really want help, but just want a place to air your grievances. You were given the proper advice, but instead chose to take issue with these posters, and then are acting all surprised at a negative reaction.

So, I'll reiterate, if you aren't even going to bother with the proper warranty process with either heritage or the dealer, stop whining and go away.

I agree that folks here do not want to hear anything but rosy good news. I was even threatened by one member for something I posted. That's why I rarely hang out here

I think that we have had multiple threads that dealt with quality issues objectively. This thread seems a little bizarre though. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward. Dude has a warranty issue for an issue no one else has seen, he needs to use the warranty. My opinion, he got sincere advise on how to handle it. And I am assuming his side was accurate but who knows?

Sheetsof sound, if someone threatened you, I hope you let the mods know about it. Very unfortunate.

Just snagged a new h555 from a friend who bought it, had it for less than a day, decided it wasnt his shade of blue, and traded it to me. All was well for the first few days until I noticed what appeared to be a smudge with a tiny scratch next to it on the back of the 3rd fret. After running my finger over it for a minute I realized that it wasnt on the exterior of the finish but actually beneath it. Now on certain areas of the back of the neck, if I press down with my thumb, it makes a smudge like pock mark below the lacquer. Also if I run my (rounded, and in no way sharp) finger nail even very very gently over the finish of the back of the neck it leaves scratches and these awful marks on the layer below the top coat of finish. As if it were glue that hadnt quite hardened all the way through and was still kinda gooey under the hardened topcoat. Also where the heel of the neck meets the body of the guitar, the two layers of lacquer dont match up very well at all and I can see that any rubbing is going to cause some chipping in the finish in a very short period of time. I am really really disappointed as my understanding of heritage especially the custom shop Heritages were supposed to be of a much higher quality than Gibson or anyone else and in all my years and all the guitars Ive owned I have never seen such a poor job or thin finish. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or issues with the finish/lacquer on their H555's?

Ok, after re reading the initial post something springs to mind.

Have you used any form of insect repellant spray etc. on your hands or arms ?

Maybe there is a chemical reaction going on with the guitars finish, as the guitar is new and nitro finished.

Just a thought.

I agree that folks here do not want to hear anything but rosy good news.

Sorry, but that is complete BS. We like to hear about problems as well, so they can get rectified. Remember, you can go to ANY website forum about ANY other manufacturer, and they'll promote their brand as well.

I was even threatened by one member for something I posted. That's why I rarely hang out here.

If that is true, then you should have sent a PM to one of the moderators so it could be investigated. We are usually a very civil bunch.

I agree that folks here do not want to hear anything but rosy good news. I was even threatened by one member for something I posted. That's why I rarely hang out here

Unless there are a few secret Heritage extremists lurking here on the HOC, most folks around here seem more mature, tolerant and open to reasonable discussions about Heritage (pro and con) than on other guitar forums.

We've all acknowledged that these hand made instruments can have flaws. There have been a number of threads addressing that issue. The QC at Heritage has greatly improved over time. Their remaining shortcoming remains communicating with customers after an issue has been brought to their attention. But that is why the dealer must be involved...especially if a guitar may be under warranty.

Here at the HOC we still seem to get along better than most other guitar forums. If you've been "threatened" in some way by an HOC member, that is terrible and far outside the norm around here. I personally have missed your intelligent posts and serious guitar playing chops on YouTube. Don't be a stranger.

Every forum seems to attract a few trouble makers, trolls, and folks that simply cannot express themselves in this format without coming off negative or with some agenda. That goes with the territory. Hopefully that is not the case with this new member's 555. Hopefully he takes the necessary steps to get the guitar back to the dealer and to Heritage for proper redress of his issues.

What is the problem with posting a picture of the guitar and serial number, and revieling the dealer? Sans that information, this doesn't pass the smell test.There have been others on this site who have had problems they weren't happy about. Most if not all of them ended up satisfied with help from HOC members and the folks at Heritage.

Yeah, also what is with the constant reiteration of it being purchased with "cash money". Why is the payment method important at all? or is to show that his friend has money just lying around? and yeah, purchasing it, and then realizing a day later that the color doesn't "do it for him"? This entire thread reeks.

Sorry, but that is complete BS. We like to hear about problems as well, so they can get rectified. Remember, you can go to ANY website forum about ANY other manufacturer, and they'll promote their brand as well.

If that is true, then you should have sent a PM to one of the moderators so it could be investigated. We are usually a very civil bunch.

Now that's unheard of and should be reported. You'll find bad apples every where. In guitar and people. Just don't let it ruin everything else.

What is the problem with posting a picture of the guitar and serial number, and revealing the dealer? Sans that information, this doesn't pass the smell test.There have been others on this site who have had problems they weren't happy about. Most if not all of them ended up satisfied with help from HOC members and the folks at Heritage.

If that happens, either in the thread or PM, report it to a moderator. In the end Heritage does a lot of things "the old way", and that means putting on the fretboard BEFORE putting the neck on, which means that the fretboard is put under clamping pressure, which can deform the board. Also in different moisture areas, you can get problems with leveling.

I haven't had any problems yet, though I did notice quite clearly that the fretboard on the kahuna I got a month or so ago has milling marks on the higher area of the fretboard, as if it was not sanded down enough when radiusing the fretboard to remove the rough mill marks. Also it looks like quite possibly the black binding on the body was just painted over cream binding. There are also some definitely finishing "defects" on my Millennium, though nothing major. I also have finishing defects on my Gibson SG Supreme. There is a VERY small gap between the back and top finish where I can see raw wood under the clear coat. Also the neck near the body did not get nearly as much finish as the rest of the body, and is somewhat orange peeled looking. Then there was the work that I saw BCR greg over at the Hamer Forum do on Tommy Thayer's Les paul, and he had to do a total refret because the fretboard had a pretty sizable dip in it., right around where it would have been clamped.

So, in the end, there is no "perfect" maker, if you are going to do things by hand without machines. I have a few carvin guitars, and honestly, they are perfect. The finish is perfect, the construction is perfect, etc etc. They also use CNC machines, diamond fretboard polishers, and an automotive style paint setup, which means they are done very quickly, without multiple coats, and instantly UV cured.

I too my friend was threatened by a forum member, I wonder if it was the same guy? I'm still here

I too my friend was threatened by a forum member, I wonder if it was the same guy? I'm still here

Anyone who would threaten someone with the word "big" in his alias can't be too smart.

dan

Look, I think you have a legitimate issue for discussion (not bashing) on the board. Very few folks have had such major difficulties, but it is very good to voice them here. And as Brent pointed out, it may seem an inconvenience for you to take the proper steps, and you definitely should not have had to in the first place, it is what it is. I am very curious as to why your friend did not have knowledge of these problems prior to selling it to you! By the way, calling them is always better than emailing them, especially with a quality issue. Ren usually answers the phone and he will take care of you.

Yes Please CALL the factory!! I'm sorry you are having an unsatisfactory experience, but rest assured if you call them they will take care of you.. As far as those who feel they have been atacked by members of the club, let me say on behalf of all of us who want this to be an open honest and fun place...I'm sory about that!! Really.. We value open and honest discussion of Heritage, but sometimes we will defend them if we feel someone has maliscious intent..That's all.. We're all humans here..Live and Let Live..

I think we are all aware of a couple of over the top arguments here a couple of months ago.

The matter has been resolved and the party is no longer here.

Let's not drum up issues that have already been resolved. We don't want new people to think that they are, will be, or are going to be threatened here at HOC!!!

( and I am not threatening anyone, LOL).

Can we out the person/people threatening forum members? That seems seriously out of line with the normal vibe of this forum.

It was me. I just don't care for Celing Dion and I am willing to pick fights over it even against those who agree with me.

I had some issues with a newly purchased 575 and have to admit that I felt attacked by some members here for posting about it. Sometimes the unwavering dedication to all things Heritage can make people forget that they are not always perfect and that s*it happens. When you're on the receiving end of the s*it happening it does feel pretty lousy.

The response I got was enough to put me off of this forum and Heritage guitars for a while but I dig my 525 so much I just couldn't stay away!

All that said, I stand by my original posts on this thread that the friend who sold the guitar needs to be actively involved in rectifying this situation, either through refunding the money or handling the repair with the dealer and Heritage. I don't care if he owned the guitar for 5 seconds, he is the original owner and the reseller. He needs to help make this right for the OP.

Archived