Heritage Owners Club

Built myself another fancy smancy new amp

kbp810

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the [CENSORED] is still in the research phase; but I have a bead on the correct [CENSORED] for it and will be working on the other [CENSORED] part for the [CENSORED] on it soon.

What a load of old [CENSORED] ;)

Yeah, the [CENSORED] is still in the research phase; but I have a bead on the correct [CENSORED] for it and will be working on the other [CENSORED] part for the [CENSORED] on it soon.

You are already on the [CENSORED]? I have pretty much all of the [CENSORED] planned out. All I really need do now is build the [CENSORED] and order the [CENSORED].

Hopefully by the time you have a working [CENSORED] ready, I will have my [CENSORED] ready for testing.

Oh Man... Another expurgated posting. Has anybody FOIA'd this committee?

You're right... I better re-post an FOIA friendly version:

Yeah, the orange sherbert is still in the research phase; but I have a bead on the correct spoon for it and will be working on the other beverage part for the sherbet float version on it soon. :icon_jokercolor:

Ok let's get back in track, I don't have a 4X12 cab at the moment. Whatever head i go with I will probably run a 4X12 or even better 2 2X12 cabs, one on either side of the stage.

Ok let's get back in track, I don't have a 4X12 cab at the moment. Whatever head i go with I will probably run a 4X12 or even better 2 2X12 cabs, one on either side of the stage.

It should run a 4x12 or two 2x12's. Always a good idea to pay mind to the power rating of the cabinet though. The greater the difference between power rating of the amp and cabinet, the less and less efficient it gets. I'd say you could easily run a set of four 12's regardless of whether or not it is a single 4x12 or a set of 2x12s if the 12's are 25w speakers.

As it stands, I am looking to push 100w worth of 12" as I am looking at two rated 50w.

I see no purpose for using a 4x12 or even a 2x12. Most places you play, that is too loud let alone for use at home.... Then again, KBP just got enough sound proofing material to muffle the sound of an atom bomb.

For the most part your right, indoors no need for a cabinet that big. Outdoors, a 2X12 is probably plenty but since all we run is voices through the pa, the bass player has a hard time hearing me so I've been running an extension cab on his side of the stage. Running the valveking at 8 ohms its hard to get it to clean up at outdoor volumes, I need a better amp.

For the most part your right, indoors no need for a cabinet that big. Outdoors, a 2X12 is probably plenty but since all we run is voices through the pa, the bass player has a hard time hearing me so I've been running an extension cab on his side of the stage. Running the valveking at 8 ohms its hard to get it to clean up at outdoor volumes, I need a better amp.

perhaps loading your combo with higher sensitivity speakers. A nice tube 40w through a loud single 12 should be plenty. Another 12 for color mixing. :D

perhaps loading your combo with higher sensitivity speakers. A nice tube 40w through a loud single 12 should be plenty. Another 12 for color mixing. :D

In the end I may run just a 2X12, That would easily cover any gig we'll ever do, If I aim it towards front/center James should be able to hear it. Or run a splitter and just set a small combo behind him as sort of a moniter.

In the end I may run just a 2X12, That would easily cover any gig we'll ever do, If I aim it towards front/center James should be able to hear it. Or run a splitter and just set a small combo behind him as sort of a moniter.

You must play in a LOUD, LOUD band. haha.

You must play in a LOUD, LOUD band. haha.

Not really, the voices are always out front, we don't mike the drums, the only problem we have is that With the bass rig right behind the bass player, he has a hard time hearing me unless I really crank it, then I'm too loud. I have been running a extension speaker cab behind him. Just a 50 watt combo amp with an extension on the other side of the stage, so actually the extra speaker is just to help me not be too loud. This would not be an issue if we ran through the moniters but we don't like to put anything in the moniters but voices.

Oh, and really what looks better on stage, a little combo, or a stack?!! :headbang:

I guess it depends on who you ask. ;) I love the little combo barking like a big dog look. :D

I guess if I had to do what you are doing with putting speakers all over the place, I'd just have single 12's. I'd have mine then run another single 12 extension behind the bassist. That way I don't need two power sources and don't have to bother with mixing the volumes.

Now.... I guess if two amp's sounds were part of my overall sound, then, yeah... I'd run two separate amps. :D

Oh, and really what looks better on stage, a little combo, or a stack?!! :headbang:

My guitar tech actually wants a 4x12 bottom cab for his rig. Not to plug in, but just for the look of a full stack... Awesome! Maybe I should get a 4x12 and just have a single speaker in it.....

I guess if I had to do what you are doing with putting speakers all over the place, I'd just have single 12's. I'd have mine then run another single 12 extension behind the bassist. That way I don't need two power sources and don't have to bother with mixing the volumes.

That's exactly what I've been doing so far, and it works. I could probably use the extension cab I have now but I need to upgrade the speaker, if the Starlight is okay at 4 ohms I have a celestion 70 80 already, but I have a feeling that it's not one of there more effecient designs. If I have to buy 2 new speakers I'll probably go with Weber, probably one alnico and one ceramic.

That's exactly what I've been doing so far, and it works. I could probably use the extension cab I have now but I need to upgrade the speaker, if the Starlight is okay at 4 ohms I have a celestion 70 80 already, but I have a feeling that it's not one of there more effecient designs. If I have to buy 2 new speakers I'll probably go with Weber, probably one alnico and one ceramic.

Celestions are not generally the louder speakers for sure.

I believe the Starlite will be switchable to 4 ohms. Give Brian (KBP810) a private message and ask him where he sits with that. Last I heard it would be switchable.

Celestions are not generally the louder speakers for sure.

I believe the Starlite will be switchable to 4 ohms. Give Brian (KBP810) a private message and ask him where he sits with that. Last I heard it would be switchable.

Yes indeed - 4/8/16 selectable output

Currently looking at the Eminence Patriot Canis Major and Eminence Red Coat Private Jack to have a mix of ceramic and AlNiCo as well as having one speaker that breaks up a bit sooner with a Brit sound as opposed to a slow break up with an American sound. Both speakers are very loud, indeed. I am sure they will fulfill my wants and needs but that is on paper. In amp.... that may be a different story. :D

Archived