Heritage Owners Club

Built myself another fancy smancy new amp

kbp810

As I was building Haloworlds ODS, lagging just a bit behind was one I was also building for myself (just in 100watt form)

Just finished it up today so thought I'd pile on the ODS goodness with a few more new amp day pics (sounds clips to come a little later on)

Haven't had a chance to really open her up yet... but so far she is sounding mighty good, just like I knew that she would.

I have some NOS Raytheon long black plates (12ax) in V1 and V2 and a Sylvania in the PI -currently have modern production Sovtek 6L6wxt+'s in the power section, as it turns out they were the only matched quad of 6L6's I had on hand at the moment.

...I also have a matching suede 1x15" cab for it coming soon too :)

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1207-1.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I suppose that would perhaps be something along the lines of a Tweed Bassman with built in reverb?

Yeah pretty close to what I was thinking. My amp needs have changed since the last time I;ve talked to you but I'm definately going to upgrade as soon as possible, Thinkin' I could run it through two cabs loaded with 15's, nice hard bottom, or one 12 and one 15 maybe. I'm open to suggestions!

How much would a cab with 2 tens and 1 fifteen weigh?!!!

Yeah pretty close to what I was thinking. My amp needs have changed since the last time I;ve talked to you but I'm definately going to upgrade as soon as possible, Thinkin' I could run it through two cabs loaded with 15's, nice hard bottom, or one 12 and one 15 maybe. I'm open to suggestions!

How much would a cab with 2 tens and 1 fifteen weigh?!!!

Same reason I am going to try out a 1x15 cab with this amp, so I'll let you know how it goes; I could also run it with my 2x12 at the same time which could be very interesting!

As far as weight... it depends a lot on the speakers. The 2x12 pictured above actually doesn't wight all that much, and it's solid cherry... it has a Jensen Jet Electric Ceramic and a Jensen P12n Alnico in it. Going with something like a JBL and/or an EVM could really weight it down... for my 1x15" I'll likely go with an EVM15L, which is a beast of a speaker. The cab might end up weighing as much as if not more then the head cab!

@kbp,

you might like a JBL g135 even better than the EV 15...I have a couple in a 2/15 semi closed back and they are sensational! Also a bit lighter in weight than the EV. 3" flattened aluminum ribbon VC, efficient (104 db 1w 1 meter) and designed for bass or guitar use with a tone that works well with the D-clone tone set. Articulate in the top end without being too bright. Secret tone weapon for sure.

@kbp,

you might like a JBL g135 even better than the EV 15...I have a couple in a 2/15 semi closed back and they are sensational! Also a bit lighter in weight than the EV. 3" flattened aluminum ribbon VC, efficient (104 db 1w 1 meter) and designed for bass or guitar use with a tone that works well with the D-clone tone set. Articulate in the top end without being too bright. Secret tone weapon for sure.

Good call, I'll keep my eyes open for one!

Let me know if you find the magical formula for the cabinet/speaker(s). I'm thinking either a 2x12 or a 1x15, preferably something that will keep the articulate nature of it but maybe also get it a nice thick/fat/syrupy/bass response and an open/articulate top end without being too bright. That and to be a bit different than the V30's in my 4x12.

Also, if anybody has any good advice for finding a nice cabinet, even an empty one to add my own speakers to, feel free. I'm not as handy w/ the tools as Brian, but may be able to find something gently-used here on the local market to save on S&H.

Keeping it on-topic, did you change anything from how mine is as far as the OD/Gain or whatnot? The outside looks great!

I will give that a try! I would have to imagine I would perhaps feel more of the low end

i think it makes lower end more manageable + gives better dispersion of sound to the sides for lower mids-to-highs (but i play mostly small places, not much call for miking, smaller footprints highly prized, etc.)

Let me know if you find the magical formula for the cabinet/speaker(s). I'm thinking either a 2x12 or a 1x15, preferably something that will keep the articulate nature of it but maybe also get it a nice thick/fat/syrupy/bass response and an open/articulate top end without being too bright. That and to be a bit different than the V30's in my 4x12.

Also, if anybody has any good advice for finding a nice cabinet, even an empty one to add my own speakers to, feel free. I'm not as handy w/ the tools as Brian, but may be able to find something gently-used here on the local market to save on S&H.

Keeping it on-topic, did you change anything from how mine is as far as the OD/Gain or whatnot? The outside looks great!

I'm a big fan of mixing Alnico and Ceramic speakers - my 2x12 with the Jet Electric and the p12n is actually a great combo. One speaker rings through with clean crisp highs, while the other provides more of the fat low end tone.

Mine and your's are nearly twins - just a couple more 6L6's and the respective bigger iron and few extra wires that go with them

Also, if anybody has any good advice for finding a nice cabinet, even an empty one to add my own speakers to, feel free.

I've been using this one for a couple of years now, it's a Lopo 2-12" Vintage cab that I ordered with the baffle cut for a single 15" and then loaded it with an Eminence Commonwealth (JBL-D130F clone). I really like this cab.

100_0506-1.jpg

I'm a big fan of mixing Alnico and Ceramic speakers - my 2x12 with the Jet Electric and the p12n is actually a great combo. One speaker rings through with clean crisp highs, while the other provides more of the fat low end tone.

Mine and your's are nearly twins - just a couple more 6L6's and the respective bigger iron and few extra wires that go with them

I'm happy to say, I'll be one of the first who get's to demo this amp. I saw it in its near finished state on Friday, but no KBP amp is complete until I have provided my quality assurance of G.U.I.T.A.R's (Guitar's Universal Immensity to Astoundedly Rock).

@kbp,

If I'm not mistaken SRV loaded his Vibro Verbs with 15" JBL's before the Dumble era.

Archived