Heritage Owners Club

Built myself another fancy smancy new amp

kbp810

Same reason I am going to try out a 1x15 cab with this amp, so I'll let you know how it goes; I could also run it with my 2x12 at the same time which could be very interesting!

As far as weight... it depends a lot on the speakers. The 2x12 pictured above actually doesn't wight all that much, and it's solid cherry... it has a Jensen Jet Electric Ceramic and a Jensen P12n Alnico in it. Going with something like a JBL and/or an EVM could really weight it down... for my 1x15" I'll likely go with an EVM15L, which is a beast of a speaker. The cab might end up weighing as much as if not more then the head cab!

Slightly off topic, but was it Jensen or Eminence who made the old Fender "special design" speakers?

Back on topic, every alnico Jensen speaker I've ever heard was sweet as honey.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me know if you find the magical formula for the cabinet/speaker(s). I'm thinking either a 2x12 or a 1x15, preferably something that will keep the articulate nature of it but maybe also get it a nice thick/fat/syrupy/bass response and an open/articulate top end without being too bright. That and to be a bit different than the V30's in my 4x12.

Also, if anybody has any good advice for finding a nice cabinet, even an empty one to add my own speakers to, feel free. I'm not as handy w/ the tools as Brian, but may be able to find something gently-used here on the local market to save on S&H.

Keeping it on-topic, did you change anything from how mine is as far as the OD/Gain or whatnot? The outside looks great!

Have a chat with Jeff McMurray at Bandmate USA about his Tone Ring cabs and tell him Howard pointed you his way. If you're looking for good bass response but retaining articulation you won't be disappointed.

that is a sweet looking amp!! nice styling

what does a dumble sound like? I always got the impression it was a hotrodded twin reverb?

I think eminence and EV both made fender special design speakers....but the ones everyone wants are the JBL Fenders

I really like old MIA Jensen's, but I bought some of the new Italian Jensen's & didn't like them at all

Have a chat with Jeff McMurray at Bandmate USA about his Tone Ring cabs and tell him Howard pointed you his way. If you're looking for good bass response but retaining articulation you won't be disappointed.

I'll give it a shot. Currently their webpage is down, but I can check back later.

I'll give it a shot. Currently their webpage is down, but I can check back later.

9489 1 St

Nelsonville, WI 54458

(715) 824-4524

The Tone Ring cabs aren't on the site yet. Give him a call, he's a nice guy :)

Detroit Blue's stopped by after work to give the amp a short workout... to try out his new pedals and to of course make sure the effects loop was working properly on the ODS

He couldn't stay long so didn't get a chance to really dial the amp or the mic's in; ...H170, schaller pups, through my 2x12.

Here is a dry clip with the amp on the OD channel - it was on lower volume with low OD level

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3272872/HB%20ODS%20OD%20dry.mp3

And one on the clean channel using his delay pedal

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3272872/HB%20ODS%20Clean%20Delay.mp3

Still more clips to come a little later

I don't even remember recording the second one. I can tell its me, but still don't remember it. In the beginning of the 1st clip, the guitar slipped down my lap and there was a slight hestitation in the rhythm. Lot's of fun and even with the volume at 3, my left ear hurt after 20 minutes. Love new amp day!

You two are having far too much fun. Well deserved as it may be, just a lot more than normal human beings.

Happy NADs KBP810

I'm a big fan of mixing Alnico and Ceramic speakers - my 2x12 with the Jet Electric and the p12n is actually a great combo. One speaker rings through with clean crisp highs, while the other provides more of the fat low end tone.

Mine and your's are nearly twins - just a couple more 6L6's and the respective bigger iron and few extra wires that go with them

Is it the Alnico speaker that rings through with clean crisp highs?

Slightly off topic, but was it Jensen or Eminence who made the old Fender "special design" speakers?

Back on topic, every alnico Jensen speaker I've ever heard was sweet as honey.

Of recent information, its Eminence making the new special design speakers.

• 1 month later...

@kbp,

you might like a JBL g135 even better than the EV 15...I have a couple in a 2/15 semi closed back and they are sensational! Also a bit lighter in weight than the EV. 3" flattened aluminum ribbon VC, efficient (104 db 1w 1 meter) and designed for bass or guitar use with a tone that works well with the D-clone tone set. Articulate in the top end without being too bright. Secret tone weapon for sure.

I've had the JBL G135 on hand for a while now... but just now got my matching 1x15 cab in today (Built by Amp Garage member Amplified Nation, he works magic with suede!)

All I can say is Mavguy was right on the money with this speaker recommendation, it sounds good, really, really good.

I'm terrible at describing tone, or at least without using every cliche description in the book... but my observations in a nutshell were as follows: Bass is deep and tight, Treble rings through crisp and clearly. Cranked it up for a bit and it was tonal bliss. I did find I had to dial down the mid's on the clean channel, and the mid boost made the speaker want to bark... conversely, the mid boost was just what the doctor ordered on the OD channel.

I also snagged some sound absorption foam today... guy on CL had an ad up saying it was enough to cover a room... got there and come to find out it was enough to cover half my house! - anyways, I layered my back wall hoping to shield some sound from my nearby neighbor, and then put a little here and there throughout. I'm not sure yet if it helped the noise level outside the room, but on the inside the actual sound quality seems to have substantially improved. - oh, and if anyone's looking for foam right now, I still have 4 boxes full of 12"x12" and 6"x12" sections, lol.

Here is the new pair

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

Nice collection there KBP810! I Like the new fancy-schmancy amp. Hell, I like the whole collection!

Looks great Brian. Keep up the good work.

Do you currently make a head around 50 watts single channel with nothing but reverb?

Beautiful amp by the way!

Hmm, I suppose that would perhaps be something along the lines of a Tweed Bassman with built in reverb?

Sounds like he'll want a Starlite. Single channel? Check. Reverb? Check. 50 watts? 40 watts but that's pretty darn close. Just sayin. ;)

Sounds like he'll want a Starlite. Single channel? Check. Reverb? Check. 50 watts? 40 watts but that's pretty darn close. Just sayin. ;)

Maybe, got any more info? On his site just says coming soon. What I really think I want is another 6L6 . powered amp, in head form, control layout would just be volume-treble-mid-bass-reverb. Switchable impedance would be nice but not necessary. I plan on gigging the hell out of it so mine as well be plain jane that way I won't feel too bad when I ding it. 40 watts would be fine. I would like to have a British sounding amp, but since I plan on using this one as my new gig rig I don't want to stray to far from my comfort zone, I love the low end rumble of Fender style tube amps.

Maybe, got any more info? On his site just says coming soon. What I really think I want is another 6L6 . powered amp, in head form, control layout would just be volume-treble-mid-bass-reverb. Switchable impedance would be nice but not necessary. I plan on gigging the hell out of it so mine as well be plain jane that way I won't feel too bad when I ding it. 40 watts would be fine. I would like to have a British sounding amp, but since I plan on using this one as my new gig rig I don't want to stray to far from my comfort zone, I love the low end rumble of Fender style tube amps.

Well it is being prototyped still. He is about to build the first functioning chassis.

As it stands it is all the things you say.

The Starlite as I designed it will actually a combo intended for use with an extension cab. One of the speakers is a British tone type of speaker to give it that growly break up against the more Fender-y clean.

The stand alone head unit I still have to design the cab for, but will be available based on my discussions with Brian.

The only knobs are Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume and Reverb.

After the chassis is built, experiments with speakers will begin starting with the mix of the Eminence Patriot series Canis Major and Eminence Red Coat series Private Jack.

Well it is being prototyped still. He is about to build the first functioning chassis.

As it stands it is all the things you say.

The Starlite as I designed it will actually a combo intended for use with an extension cab. One of the speakers is a British tone type of speaker to give it that growly break up against the more Fender-y clean.

The stand alone head unit I still have to design the cab for, but will be available based on my discussions with Brian.

The only knobs are Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume and Reverb.

After the chassis is built, experiments with speakers will begin starting with the mix of the Eminence Patriot series Canis Major and Eminence Red Coat series Private Jack.

Forgot to mention it is indeed 6L6 powered.

This amp promises to be awesome. I just simply can't wait to test out the working prototype. Which means I need to get some speakers and build a box or two for testing.

That sounds great, could I run a 4X12 cab?

I don't see why not. It really depends, like always, what you have in the cab.

If the impedence and power rating is right... knock yourself out. ;)

As it stands, I am looking to push two 50w 12's.

You could run 2 4x12 cab's if you wanted to. Its a 100W head.

He was talking about the Starlite. He's looking for a 40w 6L6 powered amp.

Archived