Heritage Owners Club

H-150 2 piece bodies versus 1 piece bodies

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

What is the rational for Heritage producing some 150's with 2 piece mahogoney bodies, versus 1 piece bodies? Is it cheaper or easier for them to do that? And is there any weight differences or tonal differences, in particular, sustain?

Brent? Bueller?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, it most likely comes down to cost... or more so, not wasting wood.

When I asked for a 1 piece body for my 157, Marv had to check and see if they had a piece that would work - for a one piece, they have to not only have a slab big enough, it needs to be big enough and defect free. It's much easier to come by two smaller defect free pieces and glue them together.

Large pieces of quality mahogany are getting harder to find and costs are going up. Its easier for someone to put two or three pieces of wood glued together than find a nice solid piece. Then like Fender and Gibson, they use dark paints to hide the seams from the multi-pieced bodies. That's why the new Gibson Studio line has a black painted back and neck. You won't be able to see the bodies made of a few pieces of wood rather than one.

One piece tops are a little bit cool because of their uncommonness. Book matching makes for some outrageously beautiful tops though.

One piece mahogany bodies look better to me usually. But who looks at the back?

The back of the neck is a different story altogether. That is almost literally in your face.

One piece tops are a little bit cool because of their uncommonness. Book matching makes for some outrageously beautiful tops though.

One piece mahogany bodies look better to me usually. But who looks at the back?

The back of the neck is a different story altogether. That is almost literally in your face.

Another reason why I feel my 140 is very, very rare. Not only is the body a 1 piece, the flamed top is too.

I agree, it most likely comes down to cost... or more so, not wasting wood.

When I asked for a 1 piece body for my 157, Marv had to check and see if they had a piece that would work - for a one piece, they have to not only have a slab big enough, it needs to be big enough and defect free. It's much easier to come by two smaller defect free pieces and glue them together.

Many guitar manufacturers use 2 or 3 pieces of wood in their bodies. Fender is a good example of using 2-3 pieces in their US & Mexican bodies and as many as 5 pieces in their Asian bodies. As Brian put it, I believe it's more about not wasting good wood than cost. When you cut up a good slab of wood, why would you waste any of it at all? I have seen many Gibson Les Pauls with a 2 piece body. Especially, painted bodies.

So its not a bad thing if a 150 body is composed of two pieces of wood. Does this affect weight or sustain at all?

Nope, the wood glue is just as harmonically sound as the wood itself, maybe even a little better. But anyone who can tell the difference is full of it.:pottytrain5: :D

(and let the fight begin :boxing:)

Keep in mind that all Les Paul type guitars have at least a 2 piece body: Mahogany & Maple. Some have a 2 piece Maple top (bookmatched) glued to a 1 or 2 piece Mahogany back. So when you look at like this, they all have a multi piece body. There is still a lot of glue in them and that is why it is important to use the correct glue that never releases it's bond over time and permits vibration throughout the body and neck which is another piece that is glued to the body and contributes significantly to the overall sound, sustain and vibration.

In the G-world, I believe one-piece bodies are now the exclusive province of the Historics (R4-R0).

Studios are mostly multi-piece (as in more than two) bodies.

Ahhh, makes me nostalgic for the "good 'ol days" of Norlin. :thumbsup:

I was at the Heritage plant a week ago, Jim was showing me some of the wood stocks in the back room on carts. maple and mahogany. 1 or 2 piece mahogany just depends on the available stock at the time.

and as no name mark points out, they are all at least 2-piece since it is maple cap on mahogany

Well, if you want to get right down to it, the H150 has many pieces affecting tone.

And if you want to get metaphysical, the H150 is almost nothing but void and a tiny volume of charged and gravity-susceptible particles. And these particles are also most void and vibrating strings.

http://superstringtheory.com/

So you see, it's all about strings not the wood.

:icon_smile:

Keep in mind that all Les Paul type guitars have at least a 2 piece body: Mahogany & Maple. Some have a 2 piece Maple top (bookmatched) glued to a 1 or 2 piece Mahogany back. So when you look at like this, they all have a multi piece body. There is still a lot of glue in them and that is why it is important to use the correct glue that never releases it's bond over time and permits vibration throughout the body and neck which is another piece that is glued to the body and contributes significantly to the overall sound, sustain and vibration.

There's a lot to be said for a one piece body ....

DSCF0731.jpg

137-01.jpg

:icon_salut:

There's a lot to be said for a one piece body ....

:icon_salut:

I think you just said it and yet a wonderful economy with words.

No effect on weight or tone.

Ahhhhh..... well.....

I prefer, and will go on record to say, if I order guitar it will have a one piece body.

Terry McInturff says the difference may be only marginal if the two pieces of wood vibrate at the same frequencies.

One piece bodies also have better resale value. Again, based on the fact that it is more expensive to build them.

If I am paying $2K or over for a guitar, it has to have a one piece body, IMHO.

I like to use 1 piece blanks when building, but mostly because it's what people keep asking for. It saves me a little time too not having to join the pieces.

If it's good wood, and good joinery nobody would know the difference. Also, hide glue is better for tone.

I'm going to build an archtop for a guy that specified one piece top and back! In this case it's better because there is no center joint to fail.

Archived