Heritage Owners Club

Review of my new H150-LW

redshark

Well, I just picked this guitar on TGP a couple weeks ago and after a few "changes" I'm blown away again by the superior quality of heritage versus "G".

The biggest change done to it was pickups and pots. The last owner had Suhr pickups there and I think they sounded great, just not what I like. So I replaced them with Fralin pure PAF which has become my favorite affordable humbucker and I put the Gibson historic spec CTS pots. This ones are great and actually I prefer them over the RS super pots which are good too but I think this ones recreate the performance and feel of the old centralab pot that I think is a very important part of the Gibsons from the late 50's.

Of course 50's wiring for the versatilty and smooth feel and I'm just amazed!!!

The guitar plays amazing and sounds awesome!!

Here she is:

100_1195.jpg

Gorgeous guitar, redshark! : ) Congratulations!

It's interesting to hear your assessment of Suhr and Fralin pups. I've got Fralin noiseless p90s in my h 137 and get a lot of complements on the tone. Enjoy your first Heritage!

It's actually my second heritage. My first one was a H535 with Seth Lovers that I had to sell because I never bonded with the neck. It felt wider, sorta like a D profile and I had to sadly let her go.

Going back to this guitar, the pickups make it really versatile. I also like the woody feel of the chambered body. This does jazz to blues to classic rock really well.

One more pic:

100_1208.jpg

Thats a nice looking H150. About how heavy is a Light weight H150?

I think is like 7.5 versus 9-10 of a solidbody, Not a big diference but it feedbacks easier than my old Les Paul classic and for some reason the Fralin pure PAF's sound better in this guitar than it did on the classic. Maybe is the pots, maybe the woodiness of the chambered, maybe diferent winding on this pickup set compared to the other, who knows...it could be diferent things...

My 157 is Almond Sunburst, and it was the lighter shade like yours. A few years ago, the basement flooded and the guitar was sitting on the stand with water up to the tailpiece. I sent it to Heritage for a refinish and now it's a darker shade of brown.

There's always some variation in the finishes.

gallery_790_192_1123409.jpg

Guest HRB853370

It says inside the control cavity almondburst, but i don't think is correct. I had a H535 that was almondburst and this finish is diferent. Like a lighter tobacco burst. I think G call this finish icetea burst.

Yours is the same exact finish as my 150LW however mine has binding on the headstock. The inside of my cavity says ALSB. Gibson's closest finish to that is their Desert Burst. Iced Tea is a bit lighter, but not as light as their Light Burst finish. I'll take a photo in a day or so of my Iced Tea LP right next to the ALSB 150LW and post it.

BTW, did you do the electronics swap-out yourself or did you take it to a pro? Just curious. It seems as though you might live in the Atlanta area.

Yours is the same exact finish as my 150LW however mine has binding on the headstock. The inside of my cavity says ALSB. Gibson's closest finish to that is their Desert Burst. Iced Tea is a bit lighter, but not as light as their Light Burst finish. I'll take a photo in a day or so of my Iced Tea LP right next to the ALSB 150LW and post it.

BTW, did you do the electronics swap-out yourself or did you take it to a pro? Just curious. It seems as though you might live in the Atlanta area.

I do it myself, I learned how to use a soldering iron and actually built a couple of trainwreck clones. Is good to have a roomate that is an electronic tech!! ;) he showed me some electronics and to use the iron.

This are my amps by the way, I always use 50's style wiring....

100_0872.jpg

Guest HRB853370

I do it myself, I learned how to use a soldering iron and actually built a couple of trainwreck clones. Is good to have a roomate that is an electronic tech!! ;) he showed me some electronics and to use the iron.

This are my amps by the way, I always use 50's style wiring....

100_0872.jpg

You have me wondering, what the heck is 50's style wiring? The stuff that is covered in cloth, like what is in my Grannies old Zenith radio from the 40's? And why would that be superior to modern technology wiring? Would you use a 50's guitar cable between your guitar and amp rather than a modern cable (such as a GT cable), and if so, why? I just wonder sometimes why "old technology" is favored over modern technology, unless it is a certain sonic quality that you are after.

50s or vintage wiring refers to the order of the chain of components inside the control cavity. Seymour Duncan's website has some easy to read diagrams of various layouts so you can see the difference.

I use it on my humbucker guitars as it makes a good difference to the way the tone controls work.

OK I will try to answer the questions. Bolero, the box on top is an attenuator, basically clone of an airbrake. Slammer, my guitar cables are not 50's style, actually guitar cables are better now when low capacitance cables started being popular (for some aplications). When I talk about vintage and 50's wiring is the way the capacitor between the tone and volume controls on the guitar is wired. Yes you can follow schematic of some pickupmakers. Is also known as 57 wiring. What is more important to get the old feel of the late 50's Gibson guitars is an audio taper potentiometer 500k with a taper like the old style (80:20 ratio). Gibson paid CTS a bunch of money to clone that old centralab pot and is sold now as Gibson historic pot. Those ones are very good.

Archived