Heritage Owners Club

Vintage Gibson GA-40 Amp Sighting

schundog

I stopped into GC today and saw this beauty in the used section. "Vintage" is RIGHT!! Very old, 2 prong plug, rusty-magnet-on-the-back-of-the-speaker old. Some old Sylvania tubes in there, I really didn't look them all over. I don't know how she sounds, or if it's priced too high, but it was sure a cool looking piece of Kalamazoo history.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/girls036.jpg[/img]"]https://girls036.jpg

girls037.jpg

girls038.jpg

girls039-1.jpg

Oh, yeah, and right next to it was a Fender Mustang V modelling amp Head for $200 and a matching 4X12 cab for $150. Nearly half the price of those items when new, but not HALF as cool as this old Gibson.

Given that it's even close to parameters, it should sound utterly bitchin'!!! As I've allowed here before, I played a '57 GA-30 a couple of years ago, and it was just incredible. Guy had just taken it off of the hands of a "friend" who was in a financial spot, for $350. I offered $800, on the spot, at the time. He didn't bite. Wanted to keep it. There have been a couple just like this on eBay in the last couple of years for $2400+. I think that guy was overly...optimistic. I don't know what the going rate is now, but everything "vintage" can get "out there" in a hurry. I do know that, if you're looking for that brown sound, this is a phenominal piece! Brian, you owe it to yourself to plug into that thing, if you get one-half a chance!

I'd rather hear YOU plug into that thing, man! :laughing9: Nah, wouldn't matter; you'd sound like "YOU" through a Peavey Rage 158 amp.....Tone's in the fingers, ya know.... Unfortunately, it cuts both ways; I, TOO, would sound like "ME" through either of the aformentioned amps, causing dogs within earshot to howl mournfully.

Couldn't tell you if the price was too high, but its definately a cool looking amp. Not sure if I'd want to actually play such an old amp on a regular basis, but when I have a local amp tech who'd love to tear into one of these, maybe its not such a bad thing....

Did a little digging, Brian. I thought so, but wanted a little confirmation. Price is not out of line. It's certainly no bargain, but not on Mars, either. Thing about that amp is that it is, what it is, and it's pointless to try to make it something else. If you want to have an authentic '50's Chicago sound, in a band that does just that, it'd be a great box. Not at all versatile, though. And thanks for the compliment...and I'm sure the dogs would remain respectfully quiet for you!

Absolutely love those amps!! As Rob says, one trick, but a beautiful raw harmonic overdriven crunch full power tube trick. A friend of mine used to play in one of the larger bands in town. He used 2 Princeton Reverbs along with a GA40 - Fenders for the cleans and the Gibson for the sweet singing leads. One of... maybe the best... overdriven amps I've ever heard. I was on the hunt for one of those a few years ago during the price hike (did find my '52 Gibsonette and '56 GA6 during that hunt, tho). The model pictured was only made for a short time, thinking '52-'54. Still would like one... they're cool looking and sounding.

I have one. Mine is a later version, leather top and tweed bottom. Been everywhere and looks it. Easily the most surprising amp I ever plugged into. Expected something rather quiet but toneful. Toneful it is for sure, but not quiet. An ass kicking 14 watts. The size of the cab is one reason why. It's really Gibsons answer to the tweed Tremolux (though it predates that amp I believe.) A dark, hot sound, not much like anything else I've tried. Roll off the tone on a tele for a warm, gainy, almost inside out sound. Mine has a ceramic speaker, as there's more than enough drive in here without adding speaker breakup. I get more thumbs up at blues jams with this amp than any other, cause it has that sound. Harp players love it too.

MD

Archived