Heritage Owners Club

in praise of old Gibson Amps

bolero

I plugged this guy in for the first time in a while, trying to learn the Stones tune "monkey man"....that riff has always captivated me...amazed to find it's in standard tuning!!

GibsonDiscoverer1.jpg

anyway that little amp sure sounds great...just plugged in & cranked the sucker up. as much as I like the main riff, the short A-B chugging change sounds righteous thru this thing!!

I believe it's a '62 or '63, model is GA8 Discoverer

I replaced the cheap ceramic speaker with a Bell & Howell alnico 12" from an old '60's projector

http://www.bolero.comyr.com/misc/music/monkey_nt4_GA8.mp3

gtr was my '93 H150 loaded with Wolfetone Legend pups

still getting random pops from my digital recorder, I think it's going back for warranty

Sounds so good makes me want to eat bananas. I've got my eye on a 61 Gibson Falcon. I love old tube amps cranked like that.

LOL!!!!

actually KB I have a question, there is an "echo speaker out" as well as monitor out on this thing....wondering how they're supposed to be hooked up? would be cool if I could drive a bigger amp from this little guy

I have a schem here somewhere...

Gibson Schematics can be all over the place from model to model - but it looks like this might be the one you are referring to

The Echo speaker out is just an external speaker jack in parallel with the internal speaker; monitor is a preamp out, so you should be able to run that into the input of a bigger guy

pg_0108.jpg

That does sound great. I think Brent's Colonial gets the same tone, which is why I like it so much.

When you record, are you plugging the guitar directly into your recording device, or are you using an external mic, or the device's mic?

ah, I also found out my recorder is FINE....figured out my antivirus started making all my audio click & pop for some reason, I guess some kaspersky update made it more aggressive in file scanning

kind of annoying

Archived