Heritage Owners Club

NAD? For me? Indeed!

barrymclark

Well, I managed to cobble a couple hundred dollars for something for me that won't impact saving or anything. So, first, I contact KBP810 to see if he still had an amp he offered me awhile back at a killer price. Sadly for me, it had been sold.

So, I went to see a friend at lunch. There, they had a used amp I think the world of its tone. The Jet City JCA20H. It is based on the Soldano Atomic 16. From my experience with it, I'd say it is like a Marshall 18w with a little more hair down there. Great, great rock tones Can clean up nicely where the cleans are all kinds of smokey. I played everything from a 78 Les Paul, to an ES335, to an LTD EC1000, to a Tele, to a Gretsch....

I spent a solid hour or more just going through guitars and they were kind enough to let me play through several cabinets which were all variations of 412 and 212 cabinets.

I played jazz standards, rockabilly, rock and even some metal. It sounded pretty good at low volumes. The sweetness came in when, and you tube lovers know this, when I started to wind the dial up. :D

Easily band level volume and a BEAUTIFUL tone the louder it got. The jazz tone I'd say is very, VERY classic. Not like 70s. Think more 50s and older.

Anyways, I am as pleased as can be at the moment. Just gotta find a way to wrangle a 212 cab on the cheap. I can get a Jet City JCA24S+ (2x12) for a couple hundred brand new. It may actually mean the sale of the Cube (gasp!). We will see though.

Until then, the new amp will sit quiet.

post-987-0-60828200-1328140462_thumb.jpg

Barry, you need to take a little trip south. I hear that there's this guy down that way who JUST got a 2 x 12 cabinet. It must not have been put together right or something, because the first thing he did was take it apart (Its True, I saw the picture). After he finishes shellacing it, I'm sure he'd be happy to let you borrow it for .. .oh, 6 months or so. :rolleyes:

Guest HRB853370

Barry, you need to take a little trip south. I hear that there's this guy down that way who JUST got a 2 x 12 cabinet. It must not have been put together right or something, because the first thing he did was take it apart (Its True, I saw the picture). After he finishes shellacing it, I'm sure he'd be happy to let you borrow it for .. .oh, 6 months or so. :rolleyes:

Barry IS in the deep South Mr. Talisman, it is YOU that is up NORTH!!

:icon_scratch:

Guest HRB853370

Well, I managed to cobble a couple hundred dollars for something for me that won't impact saving or anything. So, first, I contact KBP810 to see if he still had an amp he offered me awhile back at a killer price. Sadly for me, it had been sold.

So, I went to see a friend at lunch. There, they had a used amp I think the world of its tone. The Jet City JCA20H. It is based on the Soldano Atomic 16. From my experience with it, I'd say it is like a Marshall 18w with a little more hair down there. Great, great rock tones Can clean up nicely where the cleans are all kinds of smokey. I played everything from a 78 Les Paul, to an ES335, to an LTD EC1000, to a Tele, to a Gretsch....

I spent a solid hour or more just going through guitars and they were kind enough to let me play through several cabinets which were all variations of 412 and 212 cabinets.

I played jazz standards, rockabilly, rock and even some metal. It sounded pretty good at low volumes. The sweetness came in when, and you tube lovers know this, when I started to wind the dial up. :D

Easily band level volume and a BEAUTIFUL tone the louder it got. The jazz tone I'd say is very, VERY classic. Not like 70s. Think more 50s and older.

Anyways, I am as pleased as can be at the moment. Just gotta find a way to wrangle a 212 cab on the cheap. I can get a Jet City JCA24S+ (2x12) for a couple hundred brand new. It may actually mean the sale of the Cube (gasp!). We will see though.

Until then, the new amp will sit quiet.

Congrats Barry, timing is everything. I would have sold you my Jet City cab at a steal 6 months ago, but its long gone!

Congrats, Barry, but....Don't sell your "skateboard!" haha. I dunno, though, I'd have a hard time getting the amp head with nothing to play it through; kind of like the old saying "it's like giving them ice cream but telling them they can't eat it." Either that, or it will just motivate you all the more to save up for the cabinet. Good luck!

How much further south do I need to go? haha. Or are you telling me to go straight to hell? :D

Glad you found something you liked Barry. A guy has to be able to make some sounds you know.

Yeah. Very cool amp.

Congrats Barry, timing is everything. I would have sold you my Jet City cab at a steal 6 months ago, but its long gone!

I appreciate it... 6 months ago... hell 1 month ago I still couldn't have gotten it off ya!

Congrats, Barry, but....Don't sell your "skateboard!" haha. I dunno, though, I'd have a hard time getting the amp head with nothing to play it through; kind of like the old saying "it's like giving them ice cream but telling them they can't eat it." Either that, or it will just motivate you all the more to save up for the cabinet. Good luck!

Understood! Well, the 'skateboard', I defend it, sure. I think it gets unjustly attacked. People find something they personally don't like about it and assume the amp is crap when it is their problem and not the amp. The Cube has its shortcomings just as the Jet City does. Just as any Marshall does. Just as any amp does. The Cube shows it shortcomings, for me when I turn up with a band. It just is too thick and either gets lost or too thin. As a bedroom amp, it can sound like a HUGE amp with speakers pumping! The Jet City, the more you turn it up... the better. The JCA can't do the JC sounds like the Cube. Sure. But it can do damn near everything else in a way that is more pleasing to me. A couple bars of Back in Black, Paranoid... and I was just loving it.

I've heard a lot of good things about those Jet Citys. Congrats!

Thanks! I find there to be less worry and regret with really good cheap amps. I'd LOVE a Triamp...but it'd never leave the house. Then... what's the point. This amp gets knocked over by a drunk... sure, I will be pissed, but I can go get another one easy under normal circumstances.

I remember being tempted by a Jet City combo that was a great deal once, but I don't need anymore amps anymore than I need more guitars....

They really seem like they are well designed and would be a very good deal. Congrats.... and good luck on a deal on a speaker cab soon...

How exciting!!! And here I thought you had no more gear budget! Miracles happen! Enjoy! :)

Well, after parsing out all the money to bills (not monthly but loans and what have you) after paying all those off, we had some play money to split after savings. A reward for being so good over the past year, I guess. :D

I remember being tempted by a Jet City combo that was a great deal once, but I don't need anymore amps anymore than I need more guitars....

They really seem like they are well designed and would be a very good deal. Congrats.... and good luck on a deal on a speaker cab soon...

Indeed a VERY well made amp. After long talks with an amp tech friend of mine, I am convinced these are as solid as any tube amp out there. ...and they sound incredible!

Congrats Barry. I had a JCA2112RC a couple years ago. I needed more clean headroom, so I parted ways with it not knowing any better. It had a great tone to it, it really rocked! Wish I'd kept it, but the reverb (only in the combo) was rather weak and I couldn't keep it clean at high volume which is a must for a band. However, with the head version (which I should of bought!) a larger cabinet could of been used to correct the volume issue. At the time, I always though higher wattage meant higher volume. I didn't realize at the time, higher volume could be achieved with more speakers/bigger cabs. I've been recently thinking of downsizing for ease of moving. I've been looking at the JCA 22H which is a two channel model w/effects loop of the same amp you just bought. Costs a bit more, but I've been using the 2nd channel as more of a boost then a 2nd channel on the Peavey, so it should be the same on a JCA. Basically the tone/gain is about the same, just a step up in volume to give me that extra "UMP" for soloing. However, that amp head is highly moddable, so you could always add those later. Bugera cabs do sound rather good and speaker swaps are easy to do... Just don't buy one of those amps....

hey, congrats! that is a nice looking amp....you're not going to go nuts, not being able to play it?

may be able to hook it up to a combo speaker, if you have to

I'll be alright. :D No worries!

Barry, go to Guitar Center's Used Gear section, look up Jet City. I'm seeing 1x12 cabs for $100 on up.

Thanks! Although, if I have a $100, I just figure I will save up the rest and get a 2x12. Their speakers are based on the Eminence Legend series. So, I figure their are probably pretty frickin' loud!

To give you an idea, the Gibson GA40RVT is 30w into a single Legend is ear splitting loud on cleans with it not even really cracked open. This amp, it will be something like a 2db reduction due to power difference. HOWEVER.... with the doubling of speakers it is adding 3db. So.... it will definitely be in the ball park of how loud a GA-40RVT can get. BUT... if... later I wanna get stupid... and you know how I like to be stupid, I can load her up Cannibis Rex speakers for that extra bit of sensitivity... OR.... I can load her up with Red Fangs. I mean... holy crap. A db here or there won't matter all that much on their own but add them up... and it gets crazy stupid. I have no idea what the sensitivity rating of the Jet City Eminence (based on the Legend) speakers are. The Legends I think hover around 101db/1w/1m. That ain't too shabby.

I hear that Gainesville is nice this time of year.

http://www.heritageo...__fromsearch__1

Oh yeah! Florida. Georgia frequently forgets about Florida. haha. That is our southernmost yankee friend. haha.

Now I remember that. I had to get a laugh when I saw those pictures. I thought I was bad about not leaving well enough alone. haha.

Indeed a VERY well made amp. After long talks with an amp tech friend of mine, I am convinced these are as solid as any tube amp out there. ...and they sound incredible!

+1 - I had one of these a couple of years ago and I regret selling it! These amps make really really great OD sounds when pushed, and they are plenty loud enough to gig with. Oh, and the price is right on them, for sure! I'm stoked for you, Barry! That's a GREAT amp. I may be a little jealous too! (Currently grumbling under my breath about being a tool and selling MY Jet City) :icon_scratch:

I'll be alright. :D No worries!

Thanks! Although, if I have a $100, I just figure I will save up the rest and get a 2x12. Their speakers are based on the Eminence Legend series. So, I figure their are probably pretty frickin' loud!

To give you an idea, the Gibson GA40RVT is 30w into a single Legend is ear splitting loud on cleans with it not even really cracked open. This amp, it will be something like a 2db reduction due to power difference. HOWEVER.... with the doubling of speakers it is adding 3db. So.... it will definitely be in the ball park of how loud a GA-40RVT can get. BUT... if... later I wanna get stupid... and you know how I like to be stupid, I can load her up Cannibis Rex speakers for that extra bit of sensitivity... OR.... I can load her up with Red Fangs. I mean... holy crap. A db here or there won't matter all that much on their own but add them up... and it gets crazy stupid. I have no idea what the sensitivity rating of the Jet City Eminence (based on the Legend) speakers are. The Legends I think hover around 101db/1w/1m. That ain't too shabby.

I'd recommend two separate 1x12 cabs... Makes portability easier and you have a full mini stack with the amp head high enough you don't have to bend over. Not it will help control the volume control, then you can put one of each speaker you want for further tonal variety. Run both and get both options or one or the other for the days you want something a little different.......

I'd recommend two separate 1x12 cabs... Makes portability easier and you have a full mini stack with the amp head high enough you don't have to bend over. Not it will help control the volume control, then you can put one of each speaker you want for further tonal variety. Run both and get both options or one or the other for the days you want something a little different.......

Here's the kicker though.....

Unless I invest in 8 ohm speakers, this head will handle online one 16 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs. The stock 112 is a 16ohm. Further... while there is flexibility there, there is a flexibility in the 212 that isn't in the 112. It is a convertible. AND... it is a really well done convertible. There is a tab along the top seam to ensure that the the sealed cab is indeed sealed and not have that little gap that makes interesting noise on most convertible desisngs. Just have to decide which direction of flexibility means more to me. That's why I am leaning to the 212. :) That and there is a speaker emulation out (JCA24S+ only) on the cab designed by Soldano so I can run an XLR direct to house with no mic'ing needed. :) Very cool stuff.

+1 - I had one of these a couple of years ago and I regret selling it! These amps make really really great OD sounds when pushed, and they are plenty loud enough to gig with. Oh, and the price is right on them, for sure! I'm stoked for you, Barry! That's a GREAT amp. I may be a little jealous too! (Currently grumbling under my breath about being a tool and selling MY Jet City) :icon_scratch:

I am still shocked these cost what they do. No surprise they are spreading like wildfire. Exceptionally good quality at an insanely low price.

+1..I admire your patience!! :icon_smile:

Here's the kicker though.....

Unless I invest in 8 ohm speakers, this head will handle online one 16 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs. The stock 112 is a 16ohm. Further... while there is flexibility there, there is a flexibility in the 212 that isn't in the 112. It is a convertible. AND... it is a really well done convertible. There is a tab along the top seam to ensure that the the sealed cab is indeed sealed and not have that little gap that makes interesting noise on most convertible desisngs. Just have to decide which direction of flexibility means more to me. That's why I am leaning to the 212. :) That and there is a speaker emulation out (JCA24S+ only) on the cab designed by Soldano so I can run an XLR direct to house with no mic'ing needed. :) Very cool stuff.

Um, yep something like that. You can use two 8 ohm speakers to create a 16 ohm 2x12 cab or have 2 seperate 8 ohm 1x12... Sort of the same thing, but with Flexibility. All a 2x12 will give you is a lot of volume, most of unusable at home or a small gig, unless you prefer your volume at about 2. I pointed out that if you wanted a pair of 12 cabs, they can be found cheap. Its up to you to decide what drivers you put in them 8 or 16.

Um, yep something like that. You can use two 8 ohm speakers to create a 16 ohm 2x12 cab or have 2 seperate 8 ohm 1x12... Sort of the same thing, but with Flexibility. All a 2x12 will give you is a lot of volume, most of unusable at home or a small gig, unless you prefer your volume at about 2. I pointed out that if you wanted a pair of 12 cabs, they can be found cheap. Its up to you to decide what drivers you put in them 8 or 16.

Yeah.. but that is extra expense is my point.

This would be my gigging amp by the way. ;) Not a bedroom amp. I have the MicroCube for that. So... It'd be driven into that sweet spot more often than not. Unfrotunately, this is blend of metal, punk, surf and rockabilly. So... low volume just isn't gonna cut it! haha.

Archived