Heritage Owners Club

"Walnut" Finish on my 575

gpuma

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2005 H575 with a finish that I did not see anywhere. It is a very dark brown and in the pics it tends to show a reddish color that is not really there.

Since it is something I have never seen before (and the reason I fell in love with this specific 575) I thought I would share it with you guys. Does anyone know the "exact" name of this finish?

Here she is, next to my other baby (89 Stat deluxe with floating tremolo).

post-5532-0-78113900-1328157567_thumb.jpg

Looks like the walnut stain used on maple for sure. There were a few 535s and 575 with that finish, I also recall seeing some two tone finish guitars, i.e. walnut back and sides with a natural or a gold top finish on the top of the guitar.

check out this one on gbase ....

http://www.gbase.com/gear/heritage-h535-25th-anniversary-2011-gold-top-1#

Yes SPG, it may be the same finish as the back of the guitar you linked. It is difficult to tell from the pics. As soon as we have a sunny day in Chicago in which my wife and kids leave me 5 mins I will try to take a pic in natural light. Hopefully that will show the warm dark brown without the reddish reflex that again is not there at all

my brother in law has a 'walnut' H535 not a common color, nor a color on the Heritage color chart. Like John said, now mostly known as a similar "burnt amber"

there are walnut colored H137's too, one for sale on the sale board.

I don't think the walnut finish is a burnt amber variation, could be wrong. I've seen a few Heritages from Wolfe guitars with the walnut finish. In particular a couple of lefty 150 goldtops, one in natural back and the other with the walnut stain. I think the idea was for a more retro look.

It looks like Burnt Amber to me as well. The lighting in the photo makes it a little more difficult.

Keep in mind that each guitar can come out a little lighter or darker depending on the color mix and the wood.

That 575's finish looks very much like my 150's Burnt Amber finish. Digital cameras make that finish appear to be more reddish than they really are.

post-8-0-02373400-1328196160_thumb.jpg

What Heritage calls amber and burnt amber looks different from spray to spray.

The H555 I showed looks exactly like what Gibson called walnut.

The Millie I showed was custom sprayed to be more root beer in color, according to the Heritage dealer. The label says burnt amber.

The color is whatever the label says it is, whether the label is right or wrong!

Those master mixers up in the finishing area are actually mad scientists.

I call them mixologist artists with colors and these great guitars are their canvas. And they turn out masterpieces!

Archived