Heritage Owners Club

Learning about Heritage Guitars . . .

funkapus

So, I'm a bit of an interloper/outsider in that I'm *not* a Heritage owner; I'm considering buying a Heritage guitar and this seems like an excellent place to learn about their guitars. This is especially important for me because the thing that teaches me most about a guitar (or how much I like a guitar) -- playing it -- isn't too easy for me, because of a dearth of local dealers. The Heritage website says there's more than a half-dozen official dealers in my metro area; but from personal experience, it ain't true. Only two have any Heritage guitars; and they aren't the models I've been considering.

So I guess my first question: if you live in an area without a dealer, how did you try out Heritage guitars before you bought yours?

Second: on other sites (not here), I've read people as saying that there was a time period in the past when quality control at Heritage was not great, and some guitars with issues got out; but that time is past and the Kalamazoo factory is arguably making the best guitars it's made now. Would you agree with that assessment? Or is it wrong? How?

Third: I like supporting small luthiers, guitars made in the U.S., etc. But if I'm buying without trying, then that makes buying new less attractive -- because if I buy and don't fall in love with the guitar, then I'd want to sell it on, and the difference between new prices and used prices for Heritage guitars seems to be pretty large. So that seems to argue for buying used. But I've looked on here/ebay/my local Craigslist for the last few weeks, and the frequency with which used Heritage guitars come on the market doesn't seem very high. Did most people here buy new? If you bought used, how did you find the guitar you fell in love with?

Thanks!

One way to cut your risks is to watch the for sale section here. Lots of long term and trustworthy members. Watch CL as well, they do pop up from time to time. Or, Guitar Center used gear, they will ship to your local store for a nominal fee and then I believe you can return it if you don't like it. Someone confirm that one for me though.

BTY welcome.

Perhaps the best solution might be to go new and place your own custom order? Get it your way, to your desired specs - much less risk of not falling in love with it that way!

Otherwise, here and even The Gear Page (from a member with a good reputation) would likely be the first two places to start for used gear - of course buying unplayed runs the risk of getting a guitar you might not fall in love with... but the used to used resale value is fairly solid, so if its not the right one for you, you should be able to pass it along to someone else with minimal loss.

Either way, good luck in your search; and just to throw it out there, I've yet to find or play a Heritage I didn't like :)

So, I'm a bit of an interloper/outsider in that I'm *not* a Heritage owner; I'm considering buying a Heritage guitar and this seems like an excellent place to learn about their guitars. This is especially important for me because the thing that teaches me most about a guitar (or how much I like a guitar) -- playing it -- isn't too easy for me, because of a dearth of local dealers. The Heritage website says there's more than a half-dozen official dealers in my metro area; but from personal experience, it ain't true. Only two have any Heritage guitars; and they aren't the models I've been considering.

Second: on other sites (not here), I've read people as saying that there was a time period in the past when quality control at Heritage was not great, and some guitars with issues got out; but that time is past and the Kalamazoo factory is arguably making the best guitars it's made now. Would you agree with that assessment? Or is it wrong? How?

If you were to look at a group of original Kalamazoo Gibsons from the 50's, you'd discover some inconsistencies because of the handmade nature of them... but they are exceptional instruments. The same is true of earlier Heritage guitars. I love both the new and the old ones... and maybe have a slight preference to the old ones, because I like guitars with a few miles on them ... but they are all amazing guitars from Parsons St. .

#1 If you are in a metro area there might be a HOC member or two with a similar model that you could contact.

#2 Many of us trust the current production quality and Heritage wants you to be happy with your guitar. They offer a warrenty and have been known to do what it takes as long as you are being reasonable.

#3 If you buy used at a fair price and get to play it and return it unhappy.. all three concerns are moot. If you do the math while you take a similar or higher % loss from retail to used, you started at a lower retail cost so your actual dollar drop in value is much less than gibson. You also get your custom neck carve (often most important), color choice, pickups and trim.

i got two guitars from Jay Wolfe, who is 3,000 mi. away from me. he offers 48hr approval. one i kept (i've had it maybe 8 yrs now) and a couple years later i tried another, which i returned (i'd never heard and then didn't like EMG pickups, but that's me...). no muss or fuss from Jay, i just paid insurance & shipping for the tryout. check out http://wolfeguitars.com

other dealers may offer the same deal, but i have no experience with any of them in this kind of transaction.

I'm also in an area where there are no dealers, and a limited local flow of used guitars of any sort, which means of the now six heritage guitars that I own, one was custom ordered new from Jay Wolfe, one I located used on the net and drove a couple hundred miles to play and then buy, two were purchased from this board, and two were purchased from ebay. More and more ebay sellers are offering approval periods, and, although it was not a consideration in the guitars that I bought, I do think it is a great indication of the reliability of the seller (if paired with significant positive feedback)and the instrument.

I think a big consideration here is (1)your willingness to either work on a guitar yourself (tinker with the setup), or (2)whether or not you have a good relationship with a luthier who can set up a guitar for you, or handle minor problems like nut replacement etc. If you are willing to tinker, or have a good guitar guy, then the basic quality of Heritage guitars is high enough that buying unplayed on ebay is not an inordinate risk, esp. given the prices relative to anything of similar quality. For example, you could buy a 535 used on ebay, and have a new nut cut for it, if needed, and have the frets dressed, if needed, and have a guitar set up for your style at a total investment far less than for a similar used Gibby. So, when I buy ANY guitar on ebay, I always figure that I might have to invest some time in the setup, or, if it is beyond what I'm set up to do at home, spend a couple of bills to get the guitar in shape.

One other thing. I'd go play the guitars that are available locally, Even if they are not your model, I find that most of the Heritage guitars that I've owned or played have a strong family resemblance: usually very nice wood, well matched, very "human" neck carves, etc. If you like the general quality and feel of the guitars you can play, I think the odds are very high that you will like a guitar that you order sight unseen. All this, of course, is from my experience and not meant as any guarantee that any particular guitar might be subpar. All manufacturers have made dogs, and, they tend to circulate, so, with Heritage as with other guitars, watch out for the deals that seem too good to be true.

another thought, join us in kalamazoo for the annual factory tour and jam session. fri, aug 3, this year.

you can see and play a wide panoply of heritage guitars and their birthplace; the folks, h employees and hoc members alike, ain't bad people.

good luck with your quest! eljay

So I guess my first question: if you live in an area without a dealer, how did you try out Heritage guitars before you bought yours?

The frequency with which used Heritage guitars come on the market doesn't seem very high. Did most people here buy new? If you bought used, how did you find the guitar you fell in love with?

I didn't try mine first. I have traded for two Heritage guitars so they do pop up on CL from time to time. The first was an H535 I had shipped from NY. I was happy with the trade but had to sell it for financial reasons. I made money on the sale. The second was the H150 I own now and hope never to sell. I traded for it and had it shipped from Louisville KY. Again, happy with the guitar.

I would be comfortable buying new unplayed since Heritage is dependable to fix any issues. I would also feel comfortable buying used and unplayed based on the 2 I have already found this way. I would not be so bold with a Gibson.

My first two Heritage purchase were made via Ebay. Yes, that can be risky, but I made contact with the sellers in advance.

The first guy was an executive at Coca Cola, and the second seller had a high end art dealership that he linked to his auction. No red flags for either seller and both 100% feedback.

Both purchases were for high end archtops that turned out to be the best Heritage deals I ever made. It was luck and advance contacts that did it.

The dealers in my area were WAY over charging for new Heritages, but I did have an opportunity to check them out in hand prior to the Ebay purchases.

Good luck getting your hands on one to try out. That really is helpful and prevents buyers remorse.

The dealers in my area were WAY over charging for new Heritages, but I did have an opportunity to check them out in hand prior to the Ebay purchases.

even Blue Note in Berkeley? that'd be surprising...but maybe not, the economy being what it is...

I cannot say I've ever picked up a Heritage that wasn't a well made instrument. However, I was very lucky as I met a few people over the last couple of years that own Heritage guitars. That's how I was able to play one. I have never seen one in a store (except rare occasions at Guitar Center).

We're a friendly bunch of people that love to share our guitars and time with others for the joy of the music. Nothing like helping each other fuel up with a fresh tank of G.A.S. Some of us, like myself, a new Heritage is beyond reach, but some used models that show a lot of love pop up on here with a price tag that is very affordable. I've played the 137, 140, 150, 157, 445, 535, and 575. All of them are well made, great sounding instruments. You really can't go wrong with any of them. You might find a couple of us near you and I'm sure a jam for you to try one would be great.

I happened to hear my first Heritage being played at a local dealer. It was a few years old and literally stopped me in my tracks. It was my first electric guitar. Since then I've purchased two others, one privately and I was able to play it first, and a new one from a remote dealer.

I'm happy with all of them. I know that because I'm constantly playing them all.

As far as resale goes, I'm pretty sure I could sell them for as much or more than I paid for them. And, if I lost a couple hundred bucks...big deal. I've gotten far more pleasure/dollar than just about any other purchase I've ever made.

Glad you came here to check us out. I think you'll find we're a group of individuals who appreciate true quality over brand names, fads and fashions.

Perhaps the best solution might be to go new and place your own custom order? Get it your way, to your desired specs - much less risk of not falling in love with it that way!

Well, yeah; but OTOH, custom order = even higher price new; so if it doesn't work out, the ding on selling it on is more severe.

Otherwise, here and even The Gear Page (from a member with a good reputation) would likely be the first two places to start for used gear - of course buying unplayed runs the risk of getting a guitar you might not fall in love with... but the used to used resale value is fairly solid, so if its not the right one for you, you should be able to pass it along to someone else with minimal loss.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I hadn't considered the Gear Page, though -- just here/local Craigslist/ebay. Thanks!

#1 If you are in a metro area there might be a HOC member or two with a similar model that you could contact.

That'd be great -- I'm in DC.

If you do the math while you take a similar or higher % loss from retail to used, you started at a lower retail cost so your actual dollar drop in value is much less than gibson. You also get your custom neck carve (often most important), color choice, pickups and trim.

Yeah, I was looking on the Heritage website for information about the neck styles offered, but didn't find that info. I agree that that's crucial -- I once opted not to pick up a Goodall acoustic at a fantastic price that I loved the sound of because it wasn't comfortable enough to play.

i got two guitars from Jay Wolfe, who is 3,000 mi. away from me. he offers 48hr approval. one i kept (i've had it maybe 8 yrs now) and a couple years later i tried another, which i returned (i'd never heard and then didn't like EMG pickups, but that's me...). no muss or fuss from Jay, i just paid insurance & shipping for the tryout. check out http://wolfeguitars.com

other dealers may offer the same deal, but i have no experience with any of them in this kind of transaction.

Yeah, some others do. I was drooling at a couple of guitars at Steilberg Stringed Instruments in Louisville; they seem to have the same sort of return deal. But that 555 is out of my price range, which is a shame because I think it's just gorgeous (even if it seems to have an odd Bigsby on it).

http://www.stringinstruments.com/p-1350-heritage-custom-h-555-w-bigsby.aspx

http://www.stringinstruments.com/p-1348-heritage-h575-alm-sunburst.aspx

I think a big consideration here is (1)your willingness to either work on a guitar yourself (tinker with the setup), or (2)whether or not you have a good relationship with a luthier who can set up a guitar for you, or handle minor problems like nut replacement etc.

I'd be willing to tinker myself if I knew anything at all about what I was doing. I've used a few luthiers nearby for different tasks; but I wouldn't say I've worked enough with one to develop a good relationship yet. Still, though, I'm not too worried about having someone do minor work if necessary.

One other thing. I'd go play the guitars that are available locally, Even if they are not your model, I find that most of the Heritage guitars that I've owned or played have a strong family resemblance: usually very nice wood, well matched, very "human" neck carves, etc. If you like the general quality and feel of the guitars you can play, I think the odds are very high that you will like a guitar that you order sight unseen. All this, of course, is from my experience and not meant as any guarantee that any particular guitar might be subpar. All manufacturers have made dogs, and, they tend to circulate, so, with Heritage as with other guitars, watch out for the deals that seem too good to be true.

This sounds like excellent advice, thanks.

another thought, join us in kalamazoo for the annual factory tour and jam session. fri, aug 3, this year.

It sounds like a lot of fun -- especially since I love almost everything made by the Kalamazoo Brewing Co., as well -- but I'm headed to the Puget Sound Guitar Workshop starting the following day.

Thanks very much for all your responses, everyone. I'm going to try and get out to play the models that *are* around locally.

Since folks have mentioned that some guitars tend to circulate around if they have issues, I'm curious if anyone has seen this guy before, or has any other opinions (about the guitar, the dealer, etc.):

http://www.gbase.com/gear/heritage-h-575-archtop-electric-es-1998-flame#

Thanks very much for all your responses, everyone. I'm going to try and get out to play the models that *are* around locally.

Since folks have mentioned that some guitars tend to circulate around if they have issues, I'm curious if anyone has seen this guy before, or has any other opinions (about the guitar, the dealer, etc.):

http://www.gbase.com...-es-1998-flame#

http://www.gbase.com...-es-1998-flame#

I'm an hour away from the shop in Hammonton, NJ but never heard of them til now.

What kind of Heritage where you considering?

I'm an hour away from the shop in Hammonton, NJ but never heard of them til now.

What kind of Heritage where you considering?

Well, originally, an H-555; I've always wanted an ES-335 type guitar, and read positive things comparing the H-535 to the ES-335. But I like the appointments on the 555.

But when reading about Heritage guitars, I also came across a lot of very positive comparisons between the ES-175 and the H-575. This intrigued me. I don't play jazz; but I love jazz and listen to a lot of jazz, and the idea of learning to play jazz intrigues me. And so part of me thinks that a 575 would be very cool, and that it'd be an impetus to start learning to play jazz. But then other parts of me respond that I should learn more before spending that kind of cash on a guitar which is especially suited to play a style of music I don't yet play. So, back and forth.

Archived