Heritage Owners Club

NAD- Fender Blues Jr. NOS

Thanks to a fellow HOC member, I am now a proud owner of a Fender Blues Jr. NOS edition. Very cool, lightweight amp with huge volume. I have been using a heavy Peavey DeltaBlues for a few months, and have found this amp to be the little brother of the Deltablues in looks and in tone. Very close on both aspects. Used it with the band last night and I should have some recordings completed this week after the bassist edits them for our demo CD. It has not been modified and I have yet to give it much thought.

image001-13.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you, DB.

BJ's are cool little amps in their stock form. I waited years to mod mine as noted in a lengthy HOC thread, and am really glad I did.

Bill M seems to be updating and expanding the modifications on his website. I had a bunch of his mods done to mine and it sounds killer!

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Enjoy your new amp.

Good for you, DB.

BJ's are cool little amps in their stock form. I waited years to mod mine as noted in a lengthy HOC thread, and am really glad I did.

Bill M seems to be updating and expanding the modifications on his website. I had a bunch of his mods done to mine and it sounds killer!

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Enjoy your new amp.

A co-worker modded his. I've already been asking questions to our resident HOC amp builder. He's given me some good pointers.

Jenson P12N Speaker....

Oh yeah! Forgot they did that on the NOS model. Once broken in, if it isn't already, should sound killer. Might even keep an eye open on the 'bay for Magnavox P-232; thats the real deal vintage Jenson. Just make sure it has the BIG alnico magnet on it, not the skinny little thang.

The amp really doesn't sound that bad, in fact I rather like it as is. I don't have a strat to use it with, but with the 140, its pretty darn good. If I was going to do the BillM thing, what do I really need to do to it? I've read there is around $200 worth of mod kits, but which are they really necessary?

Congrats, Detroit! I used mine for the first time, with a full rock band, last weekend, and it was plenty loud - they were asking me to turn down. Good little workhorse, and dial up some really great tones.

Congrats, Detroit! I used mine for the first time, with a full rock band, last weekend, and it was plenty loud - they were asking me to turn down. Good little workhorse, and dial up some really great tones.

Mine was turned up to 3 yesterday on the Master Volume and 3 on the Preamp. I used my Bad Monkey most of the time with it.

Guest HRB853370

Thanks to a fellow HOC member, I am now a proud owner of a Fender Blues Jr. NOS edition. Very cool, lightweight amp with huge volume. I have been using a heavy Peavey DeltaBlues for a few months, and have found this amp to be the little brother of the Deltablues in looks and in tone. Very close on both aspects. Used it with the band last night and I should have some recordings completed this week after the bassist edits them for our demo CD. It has not been modified and I have yet to give it much thought.

image001-13.jpg

Yes, I want to buy the one Skydog has for sale!

Yes, I want to buy the one Skydog has for sale!

Will,

That one is mine. You saw mine on DBs thread about trading his amps.

Congrats, Detriot!!!! Blues Jr's are amazing amps! I've owned two in my lifetime and I've regretted getting rid of both!

The amp really doesn't sound that bad, in fact I rather like it as is. I don't have a strat to use it with, but with the 140, its pretty darn good. If I was going to do the BillM thing, what do I really need to do to it? I've read there is around $200 worth of mod kits, but which are they really necessary?

If you're looking for a strat I have one I'm on the verge of wanting to get rid of! Amazing guitar...shoot me a note if you're really thinking about a strat...

Looking forward to hearing some clips of your new amp, dude!

BillM Basic Mods Kit: $22

Switchcraft Metal input Jack: $10

Presence Control: $12

Having a buddy who can do all the mods for you: Priceless.....

It starts getting more costly when you start replacing the Output Transformers. I think one of those is $85. Yours already has a great speaker, so no need to do a swap on that, unless you really want a different sound. BillM recommends Eminence Swamp Thang, Cannibis Rex, or Texas Heat. I put the Texas Heat in mine.

NIce amp with a really chimey vintage sound. In addition to the mods mentioned above, make sure you do the twinstack mod. It's 1/2 inch of wire and a couple solder joints to jumper a couple terminals. More or less free and really opens the amp up.

Guest HRB853370

Will,

That one is mine. You saw mine on DBs thread about trading his amps.

Cool, ok I didn't know that. Congrats on that snag DB, I almost bought one of those before having KBP build the Tweed Deluxe. Wonder how they would sound side by side?

Wonder how they would sound side by side?

They would sound quite different. EL84s in the Blues Junior, 6V6s in the Tweed Deluxe. Totally different circuitry. Reverb on the Blues Junior. They both sound GREAT, but, to me, very different.

It starts getting more costly when you start replacing the Output Transformers. I think one of those is $85. Yours already has a great speaker, so no need to do a swap on that, unless you really want a different sound. BillM recommends Eminence Swamp Thang, Cannibis Rex, or Texas Heat. I put the Texas Heat in mine.

The above are all good ones. The standby switch is nice to have and really simple too install and the heyboer output x former made a huge difference. I did a lot of the mods pretty much one at a time which was good in that I saw the effect of each but bad in that pulling the chassis multiple times stressed the ribbon cables and some of the solder contacts busted. Tryed to resolder them but decided to install straight wire instead which I prefer to the ribbon.

Cool, ok I didn't know that. Congrats on that snag DB, I almost bought one of those before having KBP build the Tweed Deluxe. Wonder how they would sound side by side?

Be patient. Remember, it's DB. Sooner or later, he'll feel the need for something different, and this one will be available once again. :clock:

Archived