Heritage Owners Club

Any Phat Cat Users?

jmac

Just installed a Duncan Phat Cat in the neck position of my 20th Anniversity H150.. I think I really like it.. Had a set of Amalphitano humberbuckers in it. They sounded good but always thought the neck was a little muddy.. Left the amalphitano bridge in thought. Sounds good blended with the PC on the middle.. Wondering if I should go with the PC bridge too.
Anybody using just the PC in the neck? Any suggestions on pickup height?

Have them in my Prospect Custom. What a combination of tone. I know Rob (yoslate) has them in one of his 150's. Thats where I first heard them and decided to have a build with them. Ron (High Flyin' Bird) has them, as well. And I know there are others using them. But these are the ones that come to mind. As for your question - heck, no idea what Amalphitano HBs even are. :dontknow: So, no opinion there.

Amalfatano's are very highly regarded p'ups. I've always wanted to try out a set. Please let me know if yours ever come up for sale.

Phat Cats have thier own tone going on. I liked the bridge better than the neck in my 535. Its all about personal tone taste.

As Kenny allowed, mine are in my 576, a discontinued model, and a 150. In the 576 (think fatter, single cut 535) more woody, airy, and resonant, with a deeper voice that the 535. Those p'ups are excellent in the 576. Everything you'd want. Warm, woody, with just a touch of snap and ring, at the neck. Classic honk in the middle position. Plenty of bite and growl at the bridge. Ditto for their voice in the 150. I think they have a bit more character than humbuckers....

I had my 357 made with them in it and liked them so much I installed them in my 535. Best sounding pups to my ears. You can really hear the guitar's wood/tone breath with them.

I have them in a 150 and a 535.

I love the clarity, singing neck tone and bridge bite. I prefer pickups dropped down in the mounts and no exception here.

I've attached a pic so you can see the pickup heights and also because HFB loves this shot ;)

06b26dc8-1.jpg

I have them in my 535 (both neck and bridge). I love them. I've never been a big fan of the Schallers so I was looking for something different. The Phat Cats are great because they have that sweet classic tone but are capable of getting rude when you push them.

Thanks for the feed back. As soon as I can break away from work I going to play the 150 some more. Gitfiddler the amalphitano's are really good if I ever decide to let them go will shot you a note. H thanks for the photo I can see how you have them adjusted..Definitely like getting another guitar with the PC in the neck.. I like the tones I'm getting..

I've attached a pic so you can see the pickup heights and also because HFB loves this shot ;)

06b26dc8-1.jpg

Oh yeah!

How would Phats be in 575?

I've had Lollar P90s in a Super Eagle and Fralin P92s in a Super Kenny Burrell. I also had a H575 with Lollar P90s. If they are any indicator, Phat Cats should sound great in a H575.

Rob's 150 wrap around bridge with Phat Cats is possibly the best sounding electric guitar I have ever played.

Just a perfect marriage of the right wood with the right electronics. It is a special guitar for sure!!!

I have them in a 150 and a 535.

I love the clarity, singing neck tone and bridge bite. I prefer pickups dropped down in the mounts and no exception here.

06b26dc8-1.jpg

MAN THATS A BEAUTY!! :love10:

Is it taboo for HOC members to put Gibson pup's in their Heritages? Gibson makes a P94....

I don't know if it is taboo, I just have really disliked any Gibson pickup.... Except the original PAF Humbucker that were in my 1965 335.

Is it taboo for HOC members to put Gibson pup's in their Heritages? Gibson makes a P94....

It's kinda like mixing Skim Milk and Whole Milk. Once they've been separated there's a good chance they'll explode and cause a fire if you mix them.

I had a Classic 57 in my Sweet 16 that sounded pretty darned good.

Ain't nothing wrong with em in my book. But I like Burstbucker 1 & 2's also. They'd sound good in a 150...to me.

It's all a matter of taste.

Archived