Heritage Owners Club

Do I deserve a Heritage?

blockzilla

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If DESERVING a nice guitar was the only criteria, then Guitar Centers would have zero customers.

The preceding was an editorial comment and does not  necessarily reflect the views of Guitar Center, Gibson Musical Instruments, nor any of their affiliates nor sponsors.  The HOC, on the other hand....

Nice, 'fiddler; you covered a lot of bases in one pithy comment!      >:D

Still waiting to pull the trigger, I keep going back and forth between the various finishes.  The vintage burst caught my eye at first but the more I look I'm liking the Almond Burst and Tobacco Burst as well. I've even enlisted the wife to help decide :-)

Still waiting to pull the trigger, I keep going back and forth between the various finishes.  The vintage burst caught my eye at first but the more I look I'm liking the Almond Burst and Tobacco Burst as well. I've even enlisted the wife to help decide :-)

Im with you on those two finishes. Played a 140 today with a tobacco burst and a 150 in almond burst. Both nice guitars and finishes. But I dont need either. Think I need a 535 :)

There are others things to worry about as wel like binding, fingerboard wood, pickups, hardware,

etc, etc.  Wait for the perfect one, you can't rush something like this.

Paul P

In response to the last post that is kind of where I was going with my original post.  From reading the descriptions on gbase the only differences I can really pick out are what pickups are installed.  I'll be honest and say I don't know anything about binding and fingerboard wood and what kinds are better than others?

In response to the last post that is kind of where I was going with my original post.  From reading the descriptions on gbase the only differences I can really pick out are what pickups are installed.  I'll be honest and say I don't know anything about binding and fingerboard wood and what kinds are better than others?

If you are seriously shopping for an H150, be sure to ask about the instrument's weight.  Of all things that can turn off some buyers is a heavy guitar.  9 - 10lbs is about right for one of these babies.  They are all made of Honduran Mahogany but some is more dense than others, thus affecting the weight.  Hope this helps.

I'll be honest and say I don't know anything about binding and fingerboard wood and what kinds are better than others?

The H150s and H535s have rosewood for the fingerboards, while the H157s and H555s have ebony. Ebony is harder, wears longer, but IMHO it gives a somewhat brighter sound.

Binding is the plastic strip that runs on each side of the fingerboard; used mainly for decoration.

The binding is optional in some areas like around the headstock, as are the inlays in the

fingerboard.  The amount of figure in the wood is something that is variable as well.

If you were prepared to wait (how long ?) you could have your guitar custom built with

everything just the way you wanted it.

Paul P

then again, you can always overthink something.  especially when you start mixing it up with this group  ;D

The classic H150 comes with binding up the side of the fretboard but ends at the headstock.  you will notice when you look at photos of the H157 the binding goes all the way around the headstock.  Typically, the binding Heritage uses for the H150 CMs is a cream color that gets even better as the guitar ages.  (In the factory, I saw a pearl WHITE H150CL with creme binding, at first I wasn't sure but the more I looked at it the more it dug it)  On the H157, the binding is a pure white color.  That is what I have on my Millenium DC, pure white binding.

Also, the name "the Heritage" is silkscreened on the the headstock on the H150s, but has mother of pearl inlay script on the upscaled appointed guitars.  I know there is a difference of opinion on that, but on the H150 CL I prefer the silkscreen "the heritage".

Also, the standard pickups in the H150 CL are Seymour Duncan 59s.  I have those, I like them, some here don't. Hey, you can always get another Heritage with different pickups, you don't HAVE to change em out.  ;D

On the H157s the pickups are usually HRWs, which are hotter and are an upcharge. 

On older H150 CLs, Heritage sometimes put on Schaller humbuckers.

If you decide to buy one that is in stock somewhere or used, link a photo to us all and we'll tell you exactly what it is you are getting.

One I'd stay away from is the H150 Special, you can tell those by the single dot inlays on the fretboard vs. the MOP crowns that are on the H150 CL's.  Heritage discontinued that model last year, but you still see those out there on ebay. 

If you order a new one, you can mix and match on these appointments I've described.  One of the new things Heritage is doing is installing soapbar pickups on the H150CLs.  Just another guitar to have to have later!  But better yet--

Stick with the vintage sunburst of one of the beauts from Jays that you originally posted, I'll buy it from you later if you don't like it.  Or Brent will. Or ______ on this list will.  ;D

Pull the trigger man, I'm dying to see what you end up doing.  Fate has put you here for a reason.

I asked myself and my guitar teacher the same question in 1996 when I bought my ALSB H-555.Best purchase I ever made.I love my 555.

amen brother...i just got mine 2 weeks ago!!!

WELCOME to the HOC!!!

width=600 height=450http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ebmmquilt/555/P1010024.jpg[/img]

I checked out Buffalo Bros.  No H-150's but they did have an H-140 and H-535.  After debating this to no end I think I've come down to 2 possibilities and from the gbase pages I can't pick out any differences as described above other than finish and year.

Chico, I'll take you up on that suggestion to post pics of what I'm looking at, so here are the final 2 :-)

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1778725

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1827511

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to call Jay today or tomorrow for specifics. Thanks!

My $.02....  The second of your posted options gets my vote!  I really dig that sort of "spine" in the grain, down the middle of the guitar where the two pieces in the top meet.  That looks as though whomever did the top was paying attention.  The grain in the other is a little too random for my taste, and that's all it is...taste.  What a wonderful dilemma you have there, blockzilla!  Enjoy!      8)

If you are seriously shopping for an H150, be sure to ask about the instrument's weight.  Of all things that can turn off some buyers is a heavy guitar.  9 - 10lbs is about right for one of these babies.  They are all made of Honduran Mahogany but some is more dense than others, thus affecting the weight.  Hope this helps.

YES... be very mindful of the weight... I've got students that just HAD to have a Gibbons Les Paul, and now after playing with it strapped on for an hour they start whining about how heavy they are!  Danger Will Robinson, danger!

they are both beautiful guitars.  I like the top on #1 better, but they are both beautiful.  My H150 is also a Antique SB, like those in the pic.  Both those are H150 CM-CLs.    Heritage puts the 5A flame tops on their ultra H150 Models, but the 4A tops go on the 150CM-CL (CM= curly maple), not ultra flamey, but some flame fer sure. 

Both have the SD-59s, you can tell by the one screw on each side of the pickup.  Also, these have the vintage tailpiece and bridge, which mine didn't when it came from the factory.  (Ren changed them out to the type seen in these pics when I took it in, without even asking me.  Boy, that was a nice surprise when I noticed that tailpiece had been changed out!  I always disliked the Schaller tailpiece and bridge hardware.)

I don't have updated photos of my 150 since the tailpiece changeout, but here is a shot before the changeout of my 150 attached.

I still love the vintage sunburst in those first photos you posted, I almost bought a 535 in that color and a friend has a H150Ultra that is VSB too.

But I assure you, whatever color you get you will love the guitar.  And yes,  weight considerations are important but a 10lb. LP is not out of the ordinary and will sustain for days.  You will get used to the weight!

Pics are of my H150 before the tailpiece and bridge changout, and #3 is with the Millie DC which is Old Style burst, a darker color (almost black) than antique burst, which is a brown (tobacco) burst, for comparison.

I checked out Buffalo Bros.  No H-150's but they did have an H-140 and H-535.  After debating this to no end I think I've come down to 2 possibilities and from the gbase pages I can't pick out any differences as described above other than finish and year.

Chico, I'll take you up on that suggestion to post pics of what I'm looking at, so here are the final 2 :-)

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1778725

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1827511

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to call Jay today or tomorrow for specifics. Thanks!

H150smb.jpg

H150smb.jpg_thumb

H150sma.jpg

H150sma.jpg_thumb

Millie1vsm.jpg

Millie1vsm.jpg_thumb

I did it! Pulled the trigger on the Antique Sunburst H-150 and I should be playing it in a week or so!  I went back and forth on finish for a couple days but always kept coming back to that one so I think its meant to be :-)  Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions, now that I'm an official member of the Heritage Owners Club I'll be sure to give an update (with pictures of course) when it arrives!

I did it! Pulled the trigger on the Antique Sunburst H-150 and I should be playing it in a week or so!  I went back and forth on finish for a couple days but always kept coming back to that one so I think its meant to be :-)  Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions, now that I'm an official member of the Heritage Owners Club I'll be sure to give an update (with pictures of course) when it arrives!

Great news .... a full tone report, with pics of course, will be expected when it arrives  :wink:

Otherwise the Etiquette Enforcement Division will come looking for you  :police: ,

i.e. the natives will get restless.  ;D ;D

Archived