Heritage Owners Club

Do I deserve a Heritage?

blockzilla

Hi all, new to the forum.  So here is my story, I've only been playing and taking lessons for just over 1 year with a Ibanez RG $300 starter guitar, and I'm GAS'ing for an LP that can be my guitar to "learn and grow up with as a lifetime #1", if you will.  I'm 29 and got started a bit later in life playing but I have no doubt it will be a lifetime hobby.  A sample of the type of stuff I like to listen to and play is classic rock, Allman Bros + Gov't Mule "jam band" stuff, thrash metal (I grew up on Metallica), blues rock, and I've recently been opened up to listening to some jazz as well. 

I grew up in the Kalamazoo area and really love the idea of owning a Heritage, supporting the hometown business, etc.

So the question is, do I deserve a Heritage H-150 or will it be wasted on me until I'm "good enough" to appreciate the tone and quality of the instrument?

I have the money, but almost feel a bit guilty getting such a great guitar when I'm such a newb. I've noodled a little with sub-1000 LP's at GC but haven't gotten to play a Heritage since it seems no one around me carries them.

Thanks!

Jim

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but that is a silly question. Fact is, a really good instrument in hand could have the benefit of helping you play better faster. Nothing will impede the developement of a player faster than trying to learn on a bad instrument. Not saying your Ibby RG is bad, as I have reference for that guitar. But if it's a world-class instrument you want, sure - you deserve one. And your H-guitar, whatever it turns out to be, will be one you can keep for life. ............. Unless you're related to Brent. Then you only get it for about a month or two, tops.  8)

Yes you deserve it and need it! ;D

Seriously, I don't suscribe to the buy a "starter" naything when I am very serious about a new hobby. You just want to upgrade later and why throw away $500-$1000 when it could be applied toward the purchase of a better instrument that really want anyhow!

I have more guitars, amps, & gear than my talent deserves but I use all of it and I am not embarassed to own it. I started playing when I was 21-22 years old and with I started earliar. But it is never too late to begin.

If you are serious about continuing to play guitar I say "GO FOR IT"! You won't regret owning a Heritage and a piece of history.

Welcome blockzilla !

You write :

I'm 29 and got started a bit later in life playing...

Hah, that's funny  :laugh:  I started at 47.

... but I have no doubt it will be a lifetime hobby.

I wish I'd seen the light back when I was 29.  I wish you a great life of music..

So the question is, do I deserve a Heritage H-150 or will it be wasted on me until I'm "good enough" to appreciate the tone and quality of the instrument?

You deserve the best guitar you can get your hands on.  As with a lot of other things it's a real joy

to work with high quality tools.  I say go for it.  There are a lot of 150 owners around here (I'm not

one of them) so you should be able to get a lot of help in deciding which configuration would be

best for you.

Good luck !

"Deserve"?  What's that have to do with anything?  GAS is about, "Man, I want  that!!!"  "Deserve" always seemed like an odd concept to me...like Santa was in control of some Destiny....  What's up with that???  If you get a nice Heritage, and, after a time, the "guilt" overwhelms you, you deserve  to unburden yourself, and you can do that for free  by sending me the guitar!  Go find a nice one and treat yourself.  As my best friend, a Scotsman, says: "You're a long time deed!"

Fact is, a really good instrument in hand could have the benefit of helping you play better faster. Nothing will impede the developement of a player faster than trying to learn on a bad instrument.

+1000

Get yerself a Heritage!

If you found us here AND you live in Kalamazoo...then you automatically DESERVE an H150!  8)

Seriously, if you have an instrument that inspires you to play more, then you will advance faster, and enjoy it longer.

The cool thing about Heritages is that there are more and more popping up on the used market to choose from.

Welcome to the HOC.

Do yourself a favour and get the guitar you want. Your going to upgrade anyway eventually. Dont do the 3-4 purchases to get the one you shouldve got in the 1st place.

Above all get rid of the guilt that youre feeling. Youll soon find that its unfounded. You do deserve a good guitar. Infact its an obligation.

Right... thats it.... Im buying a new one tomorrow ;D Thanks for the push ;D

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! I'm sure you all know that your responses are what I was hoping to hear :-)  I agree that if I go halfway right now eventually I'm going to upgrade anyway.

One more question. What is the difference between seemingly identical brand new 2007 and 2008 H-150CM's to warrant the price difference I was quoted online? Something to do with the factory shutdown, are they charging more for 08's because of it?

These are the 2 I'm looking at:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1814831

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1659835

The finish looks different (maybe its just the picture), but they seem to be of the same specs?

Great advice from everyone here.  There isn't much more to add other than I prefer the guitar in your first link, because the flame is wider.  But, that's just personal preference.  Either one is, I'm sure, a fantastic instrument.

Welcome to the Club!

Welcome to the H.O.C.!

As far as the ones you're looking at, I think they're both beautiful! IMHO, I would go for the 2007 one, as you can probably save some money going with the "older" one.

I just bought a new 2006 model, and it sounds great!

I believe the 2008s are more expensive because, well, they're newer! Other manufacturers do the same thing. Have you priced a Gibson lately?

As for "deserving" a Heritage: heck, I don't deserve the 8 guitars I own! But I enjoy each and every one of them. A better quality guitar will make you a better player. If you want it--get it!

I bought my first Heritage when I was 51 because I always said to myself: leave the good guitars to the really good players. I thought it was an embarrassment if i would play an expensive instrument. Now I keep hitting my head blaming myself for not getting a Heritage any sooner. You see: I started playing better when I got that right sound! Get a good tube amp too - as soon as possible!!

Welcome and good advice from everyone here.  I would add that String Collector is a store in nearby Augusta.  http://www.stringcollector.com/default.aspx

They have current Heritage inventory, and you wouldn't have to pay the shipping from Jays (nothing against Jay Wolfe, they are the pre-eminent Heritage dealer).  Or, they could order your guitar for you straight from the shops with the color/pickups you ask for.

I would also add that I too am from the Kzoo area originally, my first guitar was a Fender that I bought from a store on Mich Ave. some many moons ago.  (before Heritage, before G* left the area).  And I didn't play for many years after that when I got caught up in life.  Then, in my 40s, I realized that I was missing out on too much fun, it was amazing what came back to me.  then, a friend who played suggested I take a few lessons to get thru the learning curve a little faster (I had been a self taught player before).  That was great advice.  I did take lessons for a while, and came out of the closet as a player later on by starting to attend a bi-weekly jam with players that were better than me.  It is amazing how I ate it up.  You sound like you are having a similiar experience although at a younger age.

Go for it, get a H150 or H157 (anything except a H150 SPECIAL, they don't make em anymore so don't pick one of those up used) and then start saving for a H-535 semi-hollow body style.  Down the road you will want one of those, trust me.  Or a semi like the Millenium DC which is what i have.

Goodluck, make sure you hook up with the HOC members at the Jam next week...wish I could, I have other family commitments or I'd be there!

I would say that if you really want one of those 150's then go for it.

I have three Heritages now, I bought the first one last October or November, the other two I did not absolutely need but they quickly followed anyway !

I bought two from Jay and one from Rich at The Stringcollector and had great experiences with both guys.

My only problem with picking a new 150 would be the choice of pickups .... '59s, Seth or HRWs ... decisions, decisions.

Regards.

Thanks again for all the feedback, now I just need to go ahead and do it! 

I guess I should clarify that I grew up in the K-zoo area, but then went off to college and moved to southern California for a job post-college, so I'm in San Diego now, unfortunately a loooong way from the Heritage jam or else I'd definitely be there!  I'm heading back to K-zoo to spend the holidays with family and hopefully I can get a factory tour or something.

I hear you about jamming with others being the way to improve. I have a fantastic teacher that I was able to find after going through a few that has got me well on my way to improving but I do need to find some jam-mates soon!

My dear ole mom bought me a new custom shop ES-335TDC when I was young, though I had been playing for just 2 weeks. 

A telling moment in my life. 

I then, at the ripe age of 13, understood true lust and the way shiney red things you can touch with your fingers, really tend to grab your attention. ;D

http://www.geocities.com/stormcrowin/Henchmen.html

You do realize that coming here and asking if you deserve a Heritage is something akin to asking a wino if he needs a little taste.

Sure you deserve it.

I started playing back in '90 when I was just a young pup of 19 (ah, the hair band days). Never took any lessons, and I can't play didly-crap. I can't tell you "what" I'm playing, I just know that's where my hand goes when I want to make that sound. I'll never be considered "good" and I could care less. I write songs and play different variations of the same licks, and enjoy every minuet of it. I bought my first higher end "git" within 6 months of playing. It was a beautiful all original '79 G-brand LP Custom Black beauty. I was working full time, and going to college part time. I had the money to pay for it, so I'd say "yes" I deserved it. Since then I've blown enough money on lots of nice guitars (and amps) that I can make sound like poo! I should have used the money to buy a Corvette or make a nice size down payment on a house (I'm such a dumb@ss). I guess the long and the short of it is... If you have the means to pay for it, get whatever guitar pleases you. Most of all ENJOY IT ! ;D

Of course you deserve it. If you can afford it also, then the stars are in alignment. Don't fall for some faded special crap issue g spot either, get the real deal. The new Heritages are great and there is also a very nice market on used instruments. You decide, the new is obviously better as it's your bitch and yours alone, but there are some nice guitars to be had used if your finances dictate.

I started out with a junk student classical, begged and pleaded (at 14) for an electric and Mom ruined me forever with the Hondo strat style with two buckers. That was, in retrospect, the worst guitar I ever owned. Went through the classical/old timey teacher and found my own "rock and roll" guitar teacher. He took that POS and set it up, put some dimarzio SD pups in it and coil switching, hooked me up with a deal on an amp and turned me on to pedals. He also taught me everything I know about music that is necessary to know, which is to keep a cool head, practice and learn your craft, and try to be true. I am still in contact with my guru, and it's been 25 years now since he started teaching me. Now I teach him a bit here and there. And then he reminds me to be humble. He was the "less is more" teacher to a tee "it's all in your hands, the amps and gear are just for fun". Really smart guy.

I got my first truly decent/playable guitar when I was 17 on my own funds, a Epi LP Custom. I rodded it with the pups from the hondo and did some pretty cool electronics work on it for a youngster. That was the guitar that really did it. I couldn't afford that guitar, my friends were like "crazy" when I bought it. I laid it away for six months and came home one payday with it. I deserved that guitar. That guitar was playable, was setup properly and my skills advanced like crazy. I enjoyed playing it, it sounded great and off we go.

You deserve the best that you can reasonably afford. It's very similar to tools, if you buy cheap tools they do halfass work and then they break. You buy a good tool and take care of it, it will do precision work for a lifetime and provide you with pride, productivity and success.

Get that guitar!

Archived