Heritage Owners Club

NGD-

DetroitBlues

Since everyone knows I have it, might as well show it.

I took delivery of Jack Baruth's 1992 Heritage H140 Gold Top.

Took Jack up on his offer and in return, I received this tribute to the Gold Top of the mid 50's....

IMG_6121Medium.jpg

gallery_139_351_82782.jpg

gallery_762_124_25062.jpg

Slightly on the thin side, worn gold top, with Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck, and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge (thought it was a '59 until today)

It sounded great, but as everyone knows, I'm never satisified with as is... So I took her apart and found a few things that aren't so pretty....

When I received the guitar, I noticed there was some funny dust or something on the top of the inside lid and the case was cracked on the outside.

Turns out, unbeknownist to Jack, this guitar and case were crushed once. The toggle switch was damaged, but usable. Sometime in this GT's 20 year past, the toggle switch got pushed through the case.

When I went to replace the schaller tailpiece, I noticed a couple other things... the tailpiece had been crushed as well. So much so, the string guides removed the paint from the top down to the wood. The odd dust was gold dust on the inside of the lid. Also, the posts were smashed down and chipped the rim of the top where the pots go in.

All this pressure also caused a surface evil smile on the headstock. Its not broken or cracked, just it was flexed enough to crack the stinger.

I cannot fault Jack for knowing all this. He bought this guitar, probably played it half a dozen times and continued feeding his GAS for really cool Heritages and other guitars, its sat in his man cave until he offered it up...

CAM00042.jpg

CAM00045.jpg

CAM00052.jpg

CAM00051.jpg

The Schaller TPs often "leave an impression". Folks tend to crank them down a bit much for a steeper break angle. It's not necessary to do that.

.....Nervously looking around the room at my 3 Heritages with Schaller hardware...... Congrats on the GT, man, I know you've been wanting one. The 535 will come in time, don't worry.

I don't have an issue with schaller, just the type Heritage chose. I prefer a more traditional bridge and stop tailpiece. I bought a well worn bridge, but it needs new saddles, also picking up a used tailpiece from my guitar tech. I'm waiting for a new selector switch. And some nickel covers.

I wanna know who the cute bass player is in photo 3. He is even playing a Heritage bass!!

Looks like some bum wandered in, off the street . . . . . ; )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HRB853370

A little update...

New Bridge, New Tailpiece, and Gibson 57 Classic pickups. Should have the right pickup selector on Monday. All that's left to do is to clean up the fretboard and frets, then restring her...

CAM00093.jpg

Wow, good job. Sounds like she might be a keeper after all.

Archived