Heritage Owners Club

Incoming! Almost NAD

tsp17

Shipping tomorrow for Wednesday arrival. Ladies and Gentlemen (loosely of course), please allow me to introduce the Bluenote.

60 watt head with custom Edcor transformers, a pair of 6550 output tubes

Preamp is the effects channel side of a Blackface Twin Reverb; using mostly Jupiter vintage yellow tone caps and low noise mil spec resistors. Based off a BF AB764 circuit. Voiced a little darker.

Matching 1x12 Baltic Birch cab with a Jensen Jet Blackbird speaker.

Here's the kicker that, in addition to other things, puts Brian way over the top: I asked for lacquered tweed covering, and would have been fine using Mojotone production faux tweed tolex or something similar. These days, who goes out and gets real tweed and actually lacquers it? Brian does! Truly vintage vibe and mojo. Talk about custom service. Wow. Check out the nearly seamless covering.

This amp has elements of different eras combined into a very special package. Designed to have all the clean, fat, warm, sensitive and bold goodness of a 60's BF Twin Reverb, higher portability, and a nod to the Van Gelder studio Tweed that made jazz guitar history.

I can't wait to get to play through it.

Brian worked through the entire design process, both inside and exterior aesthetics, with me and provided extensive education along the way.

So.....here she is:

BluenoteFull1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Blue Note is one sweet looking tweed!!!!!!!

From concept, name, design and build...Well played, Tad and Brian.

Thanks guys. I am pretty excited about it. Will let you know first imoressions next week. Maybe I'll even gig with it next weekend.

uhhhh......well, do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Bad news first:

After fighting through some snarly traffic coming into town, I got to FedEx in time, whew, magically found a parking spot right outside (where there is usually none), went inside with a big grin and and showed my ID to the nice lady. i knew something was wrong when she said, "is there anything fragile in there?" and this is what they brought out to me:

IMG_1073_zps1f7294e3.jpg

(picture taken after opening)

Not sure yet about the extent of damage to the head. Hopefully minor, but unplayable for now.

Good news is that the speaker cab was unharmed and sounds really truly terrific, even with a brand new not yet broken in speaker.

Disappointing, yes, but a minor mishap compared what some among us are fighting through.

Wow! Normally one has to pay UPS to do that kind of damage.

If it helps, that is an amp capable of complex, layered sounds. KBP810 brought it by to push some whitecaps on the water and ended up causing a couple turtles to spontaneously combust. There IS a big pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

I filed a FedEx claim last night. The condition of the box speaks for itself. We will see what happens.

The speaker cab sounds wonderful powered by my Acoustic Image Clarus 2r. It got a little banged up but nothing serious or functional.

The Bluenote head will go to my amp tech today to assess the damage.

Looking now in the daylight I can see that the speaker cab took some hard knocks too. Cabinet definitely has some bumps and bruises and you can see that the grill cloth got pushed in against the speaker, and it started cutting in and out. Last night I thought it was a cable problem but today I tested it with multiple variables and it is clearly something up with the speaker cab.

Man, it really seems to have gotten abused along the way.

So both need a doctor visit.

Like I said, I'm trying not to be too bummed about it, because in the big scheme of things...

But I will admit it. Kind of stinks. We will see how FedEx handles it.

Archived