Heritage Owners Club

Used a Zoom H2?

kidsmoke

Lot's of my friends have/use those and they work well. I've a Zoom Q3, which is kinda that audio recorder with a camera on it. Small, easy to use... been thinking about getting the HD version.

Yeh, the H2 is a good tool, easy to use.

I have one and I like it.

Thanks guys, cool that many of you have actually used it!

....looking at that diagram I posted.....will it handle that kind of volume without clipping/overloading?

What about setting it out in a room in front of the stage? Will it pick up audience sounds from behind along with band sounds, or can that be set to avoid it?

I have one, and love it, Kip. Can set it anywhere, and it picks up everything. Have to be careful with the initial input setting, to keep it from overloading. Mics front and back. Have it face the band, with just that mic on (not the one facing the audience), and ambient recording is minimal. Very, very easy to use, and perfect for on site reference recording...grab and go.

These are wonderful little recorders and unfortunately they are very accurate.

We use it in this room and it really separates the instruments. You can see the recorder hanging from the beam in the middle of the room. The shadow under it makes it look funny.

img_4552_std.jpg

If you have listened to any of the audios I posted from PSP, they were done on an H4N. I'm sure you'll get similar results. The advantage of the H4n is that you can add a couple of external mics for 4 channel recording. That's what the two Studio Projects B3 mics were there for.

These things are great for on the fly, on the go recordings. You can't beat them for documenting your gigs.

I also have a Zoom-H4n (as well as both 16 & 24 track machines) and would also mimic most of what's already been said. I would add however as with most things of this nature there is a bit of a learning curve that goes with it, so be patient and don't necessarily expect stellar results right out of the box, and don't be afraid to experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

This is absolutely my FAVORITE recording device. I found the mike's to be different on the new model even though the battery life is a lot better (my personal opinion).

May have to do with the shape/layout, but I am impressed with what this thing can do.

This song is straight from the H2, live, no mixing at all. Just the 4 mikes. Thought it turned out pretty good. My stepdaughter gets credit though for the karaoke video though. Like I said, I think the sound out of the box is great with little fuss. Herre is the track.

I have a Zoom H4N - for me, it's too complicated. I wish I had known of the Zoom H2 - I would have gotten that. If you want to buy my H4N let me know. The recording is absolutely crisp. Does a good job.

Forgot I had started this thread....I when back to purchase the H2 and found out why it was being sold open box for so cheap, The play pause button sticks, and only functions intermittently. With that being the case, I passed on it. Now I'm really interested and may spring for the regular H2, which they still had a new in box item left in the store

This was recorded with a Zoom H2N. I would highly recommend one to anyone wanting a simple recorder. The H2n has the 2 mic elements so you can combine front and side signals. There are a few Heritages on this too. 1994 H-535 and a 2000 H-150

We used one for awhile in the band, but our bassist wants our recordings to be more studio grade then ambient room recordings.... Sounded fine to me...
I can fully understand his POV.......but AFAIC these mini recording machines are more or less intended to be for spontaneous on the spot recordings and not so much for 'critical' revue. In other words as they can be used (such as the ZOOM H4n) for really high quality recordings, but they are intended for 'live, on the fly' type recording. It's just that the tech heads, AKA the people that design these things don't necessarily think like musicians, and as such some of these modern marvels are unnecessarily difficult to operate. The quality is there in a machine like the ZOOM H4n but you must be prepared to put in the time to learn all the voodoo these tech heads have packed into this tiny little box.

I also have both 16 & 24 track recorders and can tell you flat out..........what I record on those machines is NOT of any higher quality then what I get on the H4n.

IMO folks it's all about knowledge, there are great possibilities in these little magic boxes if you just give them a chance.

Archived