Heritage Owners Club

A LIttle Help Picking Out an Amp

Keith7940236

I am interested in finding a smaller amp that I can use with my Golden Eagle and H-575.

Currently I have a'66 Ampeg Rocket 2 and Polytone Mini Brute II. Both are fairly large amps that are a little overkill for playing in my living room in the evening

I'd like a little advice on finding a nice fat, rich, clean tone from a smaller unit.

I have to say, I really like the sound of the Ampeg over the Polytone. Is tube the way to go?

As is probably very obvious, I know very little about amps and need all the direction I can get.

I've got a stand alone reverb on the way from KBP810, can't wait to hear how it sounds with the Ampeg!!

I appreciate all of the help that I've gotten in the past from the HOC. Great group of people!!

Keith

I've become a firm believer in small modelling amps for playing around the house at everything from low volumes to pretty stinkin' loud. Clean fat tone? Cube 30 or so, or a Mustang II, as it has the 12 inch speaker, but I get pretty loud and clean with my itty bitty Mustang I, at pretty loud volumes. Cheap, maintenance free. Oh, and I love tube amps, too, but not for playing quietly. To me, this is where the modelling/Solid State stuff shines. Good luck!

Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue might do the trick.

Oooh, Baby... I'd love one of those. HOWEVER, I already had a Fender Super Champ XD, and it got me close enough, without spending another $900. I still have it, still love it, and, when it dies, I'll be sad. Here's a good demo of the Super Champ XD.

Guest HRB853370

I've become a firm believer in small modelling amps for playing around the house at everything from low volumes to pretty stinkin' loud. Clean fat tone? Cube 30 or so, or a Mustang II, as it has the 12 inch speaker, but I get pretty loud and clean with my itty bitty Mustang I, at pretty loud volumes. Cheap, maintenance free. Oh, and I love tube amps, too, but not for playing quietly. To me, this is where the modelling/Solid State stuff shines. Good luck!

But why a modeling amp? It doesnt sound like Keith wants to model anything, he just wants a portable good sounding amp! I love my little Rage158 for playing around the house. PLENTY loud. And as far as modeling goes, it does have a vintage and modern switch. I suppose if I played a little more through it I could get Marie to model some lingerie for me!

+1

But why a modeling amp? It doesnt sound like Keith wants to model anything, he just wants a portable good sounding amp! I love my little Rage158 for playing around the house. PLENTY loud. And as far as modeling goes, it does have a vintage and modern switch. I suppose if I played a little more through it I could get Marie to model some lingerie for me!

The Mustangs, for about the same money used, give you a lot more than the Peavey Rage 158; Many different voicings, both clean and raging, chorus, delay, reverb, etc. I'm not sure I'd put the Mustang up against the Peavey for long term reliability, but Hell, for $50 for either?! There simply isn't a wrong choice. The Super Champ steps it up a notch, with the clean channel being tube driven, and the modelling side being digital. Great little amp for a little more money. The thought of YOU (or ME) modelling, Will gives me the shivers.... haha

Guest HRB853370

The Mustangs, for about the same money used, give you a lot more than the Peavey Rage 158; Many different voicings, both clean and raging, chorus, delay, reverb, etc. I'm not sure I'd put the Mustang up against the Peavey for long term reliability, but Hell, for $50 for either?! There simply isn't a wrong choice. The Super Champ steps it up a notch, with the clean channel being tube driven, and the modelling side being digital. Great little amp for a little more money. The thought of YOU (or ME) modelling, Will gives me the shivers.... haha

Hee hee but maybe Marie.....think back to PSPIV in the parking lot of the Country Inn..

Oooh, Baby... I'd love one of those. HOWEVER, I already had a Fender Super Champ XD, and it got me close enough, without spending another $900. I still have it, still love it, and, when it dies, I'll be sad. Here's a good demo of the Super Champ XD.

That's the video that sold me on the SCXD when I bought one...

you're going to have a hard time finding anything that sounds better than that Ampeg!!

those are legendary amps

if you're playing mostly clean, you should still be able to get great sounds at low volume?

I have become a big fan of the Vox AC4TV as a small practice amp...you can buy them for $200 all day long on craigslist etc, it's a killer little tube amp. Fernando was getting big warm jazz tones out of one at PSPIV

they take pedals extremely well, too

you're going to have a hard time finding anything that sounds better than that Ampeg!!

those are legendary amps

if you're playing mostly clean, you should still be able to get great sounds at low volume?

I have become a big fan of the Vox AC4TV as a small practice amp...you can buy them for $200 all day long on craigslist etc, it's a killer little tube amp. Fernando was getting big warm jazz tones out of one at PSPIV

+1

Another vote for the SCXD, very small and compact and great tones. The only downsides are, for me, lack of low end from the 10" speaker and no way of using headphones or mp3 etc.

So about two months ago I finally took the plunge and got a Cube 80XL. It has bags of bass, way more than I will ever need, and lots of clean headroom. It also has an auxiliary input and headphone output which is very handy. I connect up a Yamaha QY sequencer for play along, (the sound is excellent), and can then use headphones when necessary. As for size / weight it's bigger than the SCXD but smaller than a Blues Jnr, and because it's a Roland it will basically last forever.

You've got some classy guitars there. That being the case, you need a classy amp. I'd go for a Victoria Ivy League, their take on the classic tweed vibrolux, with a 10" speaker. My buddy has one and totally loves it. Lots of clean here. Since you have a stand alone reverb, you can easily go tweed at this point.

MD

Another vote for the Roland Cube 80XL. A buddy of mine plays his 575 through one and it sounds amazing for the size. I plugged my 525 into it and almost fell off my chair it sounded so good.

If I wanted a solid state amp's reliability but with tube tone, and plenty of cleans, this would be very high on the list.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1122/503

if I'm not mistaken that Apemg with 2x7591 output tubes puts out 20w or so, and it's a 1x12 combo

so if he wants something smaller, it's probably going to be a single power tube circuit...however even a tweed champ gets pretty darn loud if you crank it

which is why the Vox with it's 1/4 watt, 1 watt, 3 watt settings is kinda useful

but honestly I could easily survive with a 20w bedroom amp

Keith what kind of sounds are you after?

I played a Fender Blues Jr. the other day and was really impressed for the money. BillM has some mods that could make it even better more versatile and gig worthy. Buying used and even adding the mods you'd be well under $1,000. i am thinking about going this route myself. He's got a jazz mod that makes it a 5881 or 6L6 amp with nice full lush tone.

But the above comments about solid state and modeling for low volume clarity, reliability and value are spot on.

I think a Blues Junior with a pedal to provide crunch at lower volume levels could work, but that still may be too much if you're playing in your living room and others are trying to do things as well. Personally, I'm biased toward tube amps, so I'd probably lean towards a Champ or Champ clone, or maybe even a Princeton clone.

Too bad Brian is out of the amp business.

Or, keep the amps you already have and like an buy an attenuator to use with them

those are legendary amps

I just picked one of these up today - it sounds killer with the H 535! Thanks for turning me onto it, Bolero!

Archived