Heritage Owners Club

Would you consider this guitar?

HughDaMann

Hi all,

I've been jonseing so badly for an H535 and have been scouring everywhere for a deal, even though I still need to sell a few things. But when the fever strikes...

Anyway, there's an H555 on craiglist for a low price -- $1100. Turns out that there was a crack on the back of the headstock that's been repaired. The seller forwarded pics and it looks like a nice job. The second issue is he says it's more feedback prone than an ES335. He originally thought that the center block didn't go all the way through, but upon my insistence he checked and found out that it does. This is what he says:

"Usually, with a full block guitar, if you get bass feedback, it will diminish a lot if you just cover the bass side f hole with your hand. That doesn't help with this guitar, and when its really howling, covering the bass f hole will cause a suction feel on your hand, like on a full hollow-body, so I think air must be passing to & from the treble side f hole through to the bass side somehow.

There is a spot below the lower end of the bass f hole that if you press firmly on it, the feedback will diminish some. So, I think it needs to have a sound post installed under the top at that spot. My best guitar repair guy is so busy that it takes months to get stuff back from him.

The guitar will function as a low volume jazz guitar using the neck pup, but for higher volume stuff, only the middle and bridge positions are usable, from my experience."

Is this guitar worth pursuing and purchasing? If so, what would be a fair price? Or does all this just raise too many questions?

And FWIW, I play roots rock, classic rock, blues and some jazz. And I have a great Hamer Newport, so I don't need another semi hollow that feeds back. :-)

Thanks.

Lee (aka Hugh DaMann)

Some others here will chime in with their knowledge as well. My understanding of the H555 is that it's a more blinged out version of the H535. One won't be more prone to feedback than the other. I also doubt there's anything inherent in the H555 or H535 that would make them more given to feedback than their G-brand counterparts. Even so, any semi-hollow guitar will tend to feedback more than solid bodies-that's just a result of the physics involved.

Apart from that, I'm not sure what pickups he has in the guitar, but neck pickups tend to be less likely to distort on any guitar -at least in my experience. That said, I don't have any trouble pushing an amp with the neck pickup on my newly acquired H535, or my semi-solid Millennium.

I think an H555 or H335 would a great choice for the genre's of music you prefer.

The whole feedback explanation sounds like BS to me. Suction from covering an F-hole?????!!!!!! Please!

I play a full hollow H530 with very little feedback issues. I just turn away from the amp and lower the bass on the amp.

Between the feedback nonsense to the repaired headstock crack, I'd avoid the guitar as well as the seller.

The whole feedback explanation sounds like BS to me. Suction from covering an F-hole?????!!!!!! Please!

I play a full hollow H530 with very little feedback issues. I just turn away from the amp and lower the bass on the amp.

Between the feedback nonsense to the repaired headstock crack, I'd avoid the guitar as well as the seller.

Yeah, that was my impression, but thought I'd get other opinions.

He believes the pickups are Schallers, but isn't certain. I'm still tempted to go check it out.

Is there a possibility the top is cracked by the f hole ? That might cause the top to vibrate or "feedback" at volume.

Is it this guitar ? http://detroit.craig...3293777663.html

$1000+ for a headstock repaired guitar would be a giant leap of faith for me personally.

post-328-0-53628000-1353369727_thumb.jpg

No, that's not the one, although I did look at that and emailed him. This one is here in Los Angeles.

My thought was if I could get him to $800...

A 555 is a nice guitar, and is as stated above basically a 535 with nicer appointments. The quoted passage IS odd, including but not limited to...

"The guitar will function as a low volume jazz guitar using the neck pup, but for higher volume stuff, only the middle and bridge positions are usable"

...in that a 555 is a two pickup guitar, not a three.

If it's local to you I'd go look at it. $1K for a 555 with a nicely repaired headstock MIGHT not be a bad guitar/deal despite the apparent BS that Gitfiddler notes. In good shape they usually go for $1500+ in my experience.

Good luck!

IMHO, you will never be able to resell that 555 with a headstock repair for $1100.

I don't buy guitars with headstock repairs, but $750-800 is more in the realistic range, IMHO.

I've got 3 semi hollow guitars, and don't have any serious feedback issues at anything approaching a sane level. I don't usually use very high gain, prefering to use the clean or slightly crunchy settings.

If anything, I like when I can coax a good controlled acoustic feedback. It doesn't work nearly as well with a solid body.

Sometimes when we want something very badly it can make us impatient. The price is good, but in the long run I don't think the money you might save today would be worth it. The fact that you started this topic asking for opinions suggests you have some doubts about it, having pre-sale buyer's remorse is not a good sign. The seller seems a little flaky too, I'd wait for something better. A few more weeks or even a few months of waiting is not that big a deal to get something you really want that you will enjoy for many years. Hang in there, the right guitar is out there and you'll find it.

IMHO, you will never be able to resell that 555 with a headstock repair for $1100.

I don't buy guitars with headstock repairs, but $750-800 is more in the realistic range, IMHO.

Cha-ching........right on the money. Broken head-stock to me is a NO-GO at any price.

$1000+ for a headstock repaired guitar would be a giant leap of faith for me personally.

Sometimes when we want something very badly it can make us impatient. The price is good, but in the long run I don't think the money you might save today would be worth it. The fact that you started this topic asking for opinions suggests you have some doubts about it, having pre-sale buyer's remorse is not a good sign. The seller seems a little flaky too, I'd wait for something better. A few more weeks or even a few months of waiting is not that big a deal to get something you really want that you will enjoy for many years. Hang in there, the right guitar is out there and you'll find it.

All the wisdom you need, right there, Hugh D. I'd never buy a guitar with a headstock repair, unless I knew who repaired it. And I do headstock repairs.... Your guitar is out there; you just haven't found it, yet.

My 535 was $1150.00 with ohsc and no issues whatsoever from a business, therefore he factored a margin into the sales price. In other words, they're out there. I'd wait if at all possible.

I believe that a headstock repair can be a fine instrument, but not at that price. This is my third semi hollow guitar, and what the seller describes is unlike anything I've experienced.

There has been a Blue 555 making its way through the HOC that has a headstock repair, many of the owners have stated it was an awesome guitar and awesome repair, so its a matter of personal preference. One thing this blog makes for certain, a cracked headtock is a big stigma in the resale industry!

Trust your instincts!

So I've passed on this 535 as I found a very good deal (or at least it seems like one to me) on an Burnt Amber 2008 model at Music Go Round. It looks to be in great shape...but I'm traveling on business next week and won't get to see it until the week after.

I'll post pics in a new thread. IT's good to be back in the fold.

Archived