Heritage Owners Club

Heed the good Doctor's words

hinesarchtop

I was away from the forum for a while, but stumbled upon this older post from MartyGrass. Man, it really hit me.

Here is the part I copied and pasted.

"If I can editorialize, the time to get stuff like this done is now. That includes any custom Heritage builds you want, especially H357s.

I realize lately that we are in the end of a very special era- the origin of the electric guitar. The pioneers who brought the notion from simply putting a microphone on an acoustic guitar to designing instruments that are wholely electric are now aged and will not be with us much longer. I want their spirits in my instruments.

There will always be great luthiers on this planet (unless they are right about Iran's nukes). So you will be able to get wonderful instruments and have them modified to your wishes indefinitely. But every inspired musician believes in magic and feels it in his playing. The Kalamazoo luthiers, as unlikely as they seem at times, are important conduits of this cosmic goodness.

With the quieting of just a few remaining heartbeats, the entire era will be over. And won't that be sad?"

I can't agree with what Mark said enough. It actually brought tears to my eyes. As a Luthier myself, I can tell you that you don't get into guitar building to retire early. It's hard, but satisfying work. Think of all the smiles the great guy's at Heritage have put on peoples faces. They can make grown men and women giddy like a kid getting his first bike. I've always had a passion for archtops and can remember learning about the Heritage company in the 80's. To say it piqued my interest is putting it mildly.

Jack French was kind enough to take my calls and give me pointers on finish shading and repair techniques. J.P. Moats took the time to talk to me about the wood he was selecting for one of my orders, and chat about fishing.

Anyway, it is the end of an era, and I'm very thankful for all the hard work and love that these people put into the instruments that we all love and play. They truly are "conduits of cosmic goodness"

I stopped over at Pete Moreno's Saturday to get some work done on four guitars. He had received 21 other guitars for repair and mods from last Tuesday until Saturday. The came from all over the country. Pete is 71 and quite active. He shows no signs of slowing down or lack of enthusiasm. (He was very impressed with the Alumitones I brought him to try.)

I always learn something from Pete, who has worked long years for both Gibson and Heritage. This time he showed me how a Schaller tailpiece bows over time from string pull. He's right.

He has an old white LP Custom with a headstock repair. He was sent the guitar to make the crack disappear. He showed me how he mixes yellows with white until he can perfectly match the crack and make it look whole again.

Several of the Heritage crowd are in their 70s now. Ren and Marv I believe are. Aaron Cowles, who's done so much work for Gibson and Heritage, is 71, has started cancer treatments and is not well.

I do hope the young uns will keep Heritage going. But when I'm honest with myself I worry that they will disperse like so many families do when the parents pass away.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Aaron and Pete. Good Luthiers. Even better people.

Within the next ten years there will be major changes at Heritage. Hopefully someone will step up

and keep it going.

In the meantime all we can do is enjoy the great instruments they are producing with their wealth of knowledge.

I stopped over at Pete Moreno's Saturday to get some work done on four guitars. He had received 21 other guitars for repair and mods from last Tuesday until Saturday. The came from all over the country. Pete is 71 and quite active. He shows no signs of slowing down or lack of enthusiasm. (He was very impressed with the Alumitones I brought him to try.)

I always learn something from Pete, who has worked long years for both Gibson and Heritage. This time he showed me how a Schaller tailpiece bows over time from string pull. He's right.

He has an old white LP Custom with a headstock repair. He was sent the guitar to make the crack disappear. He showed me how he mixes yellows with white until he can perfectly match the crack and make it look whole again.

Several of the Heritage crowd are in their 70s now. Ren and Marv I believe are. Aaron Cowles, who's done so much work for Gibson and Heritage, is 71, has started cancer treatments and is not well.

I do hope the young uns will keep Heritage going. But when I'm honest with myself I worry that they will disperse like so many families do when the parents pass away.

We do tend to take things for granted. Nothing lasts forever.

Sorry to hear about Mr Cowles, hope he has a good outcome.

Well, that's the point well made , it's the PEOPLE that make Heritage so special. In my many trips their for the store, they always treat me like a long lost brother. They are the best!

Oops, I meant to qoute Slammer and Big Bob who were guessing what I'm gassing for.

You guy's are on to me. They make so many unique guitars that it's hard to decide which to order. Maybe I'll just get super nutty and order 5 a month til I lose the house LOL.

Like a dumbass I sold my first run 357 with super mini's.

Actually a Super Eagle with some changes/upgrades is where my heads at currently.

Oops, I meant to qoute Slammer and Big Bob who were guessing what I'm gassing for.

You guy's are on to me. They make so many unique guitars that it's hard to decide which to order. Maybe I'll just get super nutty and order 5 a month til I lose the house LOL.

Like a dumbass I sold my first run 357 with super mini's.

Actually a Super Eagle with some changes/upgrades is where my heads at currently.

Most of us including me have stories like that..I sold my Lollar equipped H-137 several year back and regretted it the minute I dropped it off at Fedex..Luckily I got another one from Ron..and this one is staying!!

Archived