Heritage Owners Club

Alright- maybe ill advised inquiry about Heritage vs Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Reissues

Lkdog

Doug and Pat did a nice job, but the key to remember is that the pickups can be easily changed and completely skew the results. They did a comparison between two vintage Gibsons, a Heritage, a Tokai and a Hines. There are differences for sure, but the basic tone is still there.

I used to obsess so much over guitars on the internet, buying guitars simply on specs and looks. But over the years I've found that the best way to go about it is to just play as many guitars as you can. Don't force a buy. The one you want will just JUMP out at you.

I can't agree with Slappy more. I bought a few guitars unplayed from Ebay. They are great. Maybe I was just lucky. I really wanted the 535 in red, and got a great one. I wanted an older 140 and found one that only needed some minor work to make it a real keeper.

My most recent two were guitars that I played and just KNEW they were the ones. The first was the Melancon. I waited almost a year before I took it home. I was never a tele guy until I played that one. It just kept calling me. The other was the 525. Kuz was selling it to LK155 last year at PSP. I got to play it and was absolutely floored by how sweet it was. When LK decided it wasn't the right guitar for him, he asked if I was interested. I TRIED to say no, but just couldn't do it. I could still remember the feel of it from last summer.

If you buy from Ebay or the internet, you probably will get a great guitar. If you pick one up and it sings for you, you KNOW you're getting a great guitar.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had great Gibson and Heritage LPaul guitars. I actually think the more recent 150's are better than ever. If I had a choice I'd go for a 150CM with a wood package I would send them, a 59 neck carve VSB, 50's bumblebee's from my stash, Brazilian board, pearl logo, bound headstock.............Damn, I'm starting to twitch :icon_shaking2:

GO HERITAGE!!!

Like I said, Rockabilly69 has a very discerning ear and is quite particular about how he wants his guitars set up to get the tone he's looking for. He's also a very busy gigging musician so these instruments are the tools of his trade.

Since that thread, he's changed out the pickups tailpiece and I think the bridge as well.

:laughing6: He must have a sound he searches for and will not stop until he gets it out of his axe.

I didn't custom order the guitar it was a Jay Wolfe custom order. If I ordered it I would have asked for the following...

Throbak SLE101 or Seymour Duncan Peter Green pickups

a nowire ABR bridge (I do not like NASHVILLE style bridges or the inserts they use in the body!)

a lightweight tailpiece and steel bridge studs

This is what the guitar sounds like NOW with the mods I did...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12254302

My opinion is that with the a few mods to an H150 you can get Gibson historic Les Paul tone for a a lot less money.

The one thing that I like better about my Gibson is the shape of the neck carve which feels better in my hands. But

that is truley an opinion that can go anyway and not a reflection of the craftsmanship at Heritage.

Read the thread.

Have to say it was a little odd to be honest.

It just sort of trailed off and he says he now has to do mods to his brand new $2200 H150 which he had custom ordered?????

I didn't custom order the guitar it was a Jay Wolfe custom order. If I ordered it I would have asked for the following...

Throbak SLE101 or Seymour Duncan Peter Green pickups

a nowire ABR bridge (I do not like NASHVILLE style bridges or the inserts they use in the body!)

a lightweight tailpiece and steel bridge studs

This is what the guitar sounds like NOW with the mods I did...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12254302

My opinion is that with the a few mods to an H150 you can get Gibson historic Les Paul tone for a a lot less money.

The one thing that I like better about my Gibson is the shape of the neck carve which feels better in my hands. But

that is truley an opinion that can go anyway and not a reflection of the craftsmanship at Heritage.

You can really play! Very unique tone.

I hear Dickie Betts in there.

In the the Youtube clip I posted with the Doug and Pat guys - the sound I liked the best was the first one from the 58 LP.

It sounded a lot like early Billy Gibbons. So much character.

That is the sound I am looking for.

Well I can get the "Brown Sugar" Gibbons tone with either of my two Heritages. So if that's what your chasing,

you would do just fine with a Heritage. If you're not in a hurry, have one custom made with the mods I did and

be done with it. I think the Throbak DT-102s would get your right there in the Billy Gibbons tone department.

When I was much younger I used to be in a cover band that did a ton of ZZ Top songs, all from the first

three albums, other than "arrested for driving while blind" from Tejas. I know that tone well.

I like the 58 in that clip too!

And, Dickie Betts is one of my favorite guitar players, I loved the melodic stuff he

played, and the tone he got from the neck pickup and middle positions. My biggest complaint with most Les

Pauls is the neck position tone is too muddy, I must say I have had better luck with Heritages than Gibson

when it comes to that postion. My first Heritage, stock, had an unbelievable neck pickup tone! This is that

guitar (which kind of looks like Pearly Gates with it's squiggly flame)...

HeritageFlame.jpg

Well I can get the "Brown Sugar" Gibbons tone with either of my two Heritages. So if that's what your chasing,

you would do just fine with a Heritage. If you're not in a hurry, have one custom made with the mods I did and

be done with it. I think the Throbak DT-102s would get your right there in the Billy Gibbons tone department.

When I was much younger I used to be in a cover band that did a ton of ZZ Top songs, all from the first

three albums, other than "arrested for driving while blind" from Tejas. I know that tone well.

I like the 58 in that clip too!

And, Dickie Betts is one of my favorite guitar players, I loved the melodic stuff he

played, and the tone he got from the neck pickup and middle positions. My biggest complaint with most Les

Pauls is the neck position tone is too muddy, I must say I have had better luck with Heritages than Gibson

when it comes to that postion. My first Heritage, stock, had an unbelievable neck pickup tone! This is that

guitar (which kind of looks like Pearly Gates with it's squiggly flame)...

HeritageFlame.jpg

Yeah-

The Brown Sugar tone/early ZZ Top tone. Sweet, woody, and nasty with low end grunt at the same time. Pure Gibbons at his finest.

There is a slight sandy grit to the sweet haunting tone.

In the Doug and Pat clip the Heritage did not have the defintion or the woodiness or grunt compared to the Les Pauls IMO.

Did fine with upper register leads.

That is the best way I can describe the tone I am looking for. I get pretty close with my PRS McTrem, and the Jaros chambered, but not all the way there.

Need me some hunk o' wood to go the last yard.

I think that whichever guitar you buy -whether Heritage or Gibson, the tone you're looking for will finally depend on the pickups you put in it.

I haven't heard the Throwbaks in person. They sound good on clips I've heard and have been sprinkled with heaps of pixie-mojo dust. You might also like Seth Lovers. The ones in my H150 come loaded with lots of old-fashioned PAF high end snarl, and distinct bottom end growl.

Of all 8 guitars I've owned, the only one I've had issues with was a Gibson custom shop acoustic. The four Heritages I've had have played well, sounded great, and been a pleasure to own. They also cost me a lot less than the Gibby. For myself, while I appreciate the quality that can be achieved with modern assembly and machining processes, I also appreciate my Heritages for their hand-crafted qualities. There's something personal in it that enhances my enjoyment of the instrument.

Whatever you finally do settle on, please post pictures and clips here.

my beef with Doug & Pat's vids is the WCR pickups are POTTED and will not sound as airy & clear as an unpotted pup...and that is quite noticeable in the clips

Wolfetone Legends get my vote

also Throbak

my beef with Doug & Pat's vids is the WCR pickups are POTTED and will not sound as airy & clear as an unpotted pup...and that is quite noticeable in the clips

Wolfetone Legends get my vote

also Throbak

Interesting. The H 150 in that video did sound less clear with less air and wood or definition (not sure how to describe it but you know when you hear it or do not hear it) and had less range.

Some of these descriptions sound a bit cork sniffer-ish.

I'd love to try out some Throbak p'ups some day.

Will have none of that!

Just trying to get input if a Heritage H 150 can get that nasty mojo sound. :)

The used prices on Gibsons seem a little out of hand IMO.

Call it what you will, but once you build a little box of parts up, you can try many things with an LP style guitar and all these mods

can add up for to some nice tone and feel changes. But, the guitar has to sound good to begin with, rarely can you polish the

proverbial turd!!!

Some of these descriptions sound a bit cork sniffer-ish.

I'd love to try out some Throbak p'ups some day.

Agree with previous posts that whatever you buy, it is Russian roulette unless you sit down and play multiple guitars of one model.

The neck carves on Heritage H-150's need to fit your hand and playing style. For me, the second most important variable is probably the pickups, pots and caps. Third is the bridge and tailpiece and nut and tuners. Fourth important maybe the looks (headstock, horn, pick guard, etc.). Fifth important might be the weight.

On top of all that is the quality and type of your amp. Are you going to play clean, or with some hair?

I have owned a dozen Les Paul Custom Shop's and a dozen H-150's. Each one, after playing it for a while, has it's own "fingerprint."

It really is difficult unless you really know what kind of sound you want out of your guitar.

For me, the bottom line is: which guitar will keep you taking it out of the case, plugging it in, and playing it for hours?

Happy hunting!

Update for anyone interested.

Chatted with Jay Wolfe about some new Heritage H-150's.

He has some real stunners.

I ended up buying a used 2007 Gibson Les Paul plain top G0(R0) for a good price.

Should have it this week.

Update for anyone interested.

Chatted with Jay Wolfe about some new Heritage H-150's.

He has some real stunners.

I ended up buying a used 2007 Gibson Les Paul plain top G0(R0) for a good price.

Should have it this week.

That is my favorite neck shape, now let's hope it's a good sounder! I love my 2006 '60 reissue and I used it as a standard

when dialing in my H150's. I love all of my flametops, and I can say that they all do something particularly good...

Jimmy.jpg

When I got mine it had the first set of Burstbuckers that I ever liked, and the only mod I've done to it is RS guitarworks steel studs.

That is my favorite neck shape, now let's hope it's a good sounder! I love my 2006 '60 reissue and I used it as a standard

when dialing in my H150's. I love all of my flametops, and I can say that they all do something particularly good...

Jimmy.jpg

When I got mine it had the first set of Burstbuckers that I ever liked, and the only mod I've done to it is RS guitarworks steel studs.

Woah............

That is one heckuva nice looking R0.

The used one I am getting is a plaintop R0 from the Guitar Center run with the G0 serial number naming.

They go a little cheaper used than the plaintop R0's. Same guitar in every way after 2004. Some say have slightly bigger neck than the R0's.

I don't have much trouble adjusting to neck carves. I am more sensitive to neck radius.

Here is picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38014506@N03/8695453542/in/photostream

Archived