Heritage Owners Club

Alright- maybe ill advised inquiry about Heritage vs Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Reissues

Lkdog

Just so you know- I own a wonderful H-555 bought here from Martygrass and sold my ES-335.

Heritage had better build quality in that case and the tone was the same or better.

Have been wanting to get an Les Paul and looking at used custom shop reissues (R0/G0/R9/R8/R7).

Prices are really kind of inflated.

To those in the know here- does the newer H150 or H157 compare favorably to a Custom Shop Gibson LP Reissue?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thx.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No comparison. Heritage, hands down is the better instrument. The same hands that built those original Les Pauls are building the Heritages. Save yourself some cash and buy a better guitar. Buy Heritage when Gibson just isn't good enough. I can't say this enough; If it wasn't built in Kalamazoo its not a Gibson just a cheap imitation.

Sans the shape of the headstock (in which the Heritage headstock is arguably functionally superior), think of every Heritage as being a VOS reissue. These guys build them the same way LP's were built in the 50's because they were the guys building them in the 50's.. Using the same tools and methods then that they use today...

you looking for playability or collectability?

go with the Kalamazoo-made. by the way, from a collectable point of view, in my almost 20 years as an observer and participant (to limited degree) in buying and selling Heritages, the value of them has gone up too over the time. buying a used 150 or 157 today is much costlier than it was 15 years ago.. just sayin.

Just so you know- I own a wonderful H-555 bought here from Martygrass and sold my ES-335.

Heritage had better build quality in that case and the tone was the same or better.

Have been wanting to get an Les Paul and looking at used custom shop reissues (R0/G0/R9/R8/R7).

Prices are really kind of inflated.

To those in the know here- does the newer H150 or H157 compare favorably to a Custom Shop Gibson LP Reissue?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thx.

Were you looking for an unbiased opinion? I always wonder why people do that in brand-specific forums. Anyway...

I'm a bit more diplomatic. I think that the average Heritage is indeed, years above the average Gibson. However, I have played a Heritage that wasn't very good at all, and played a couple of exemplary ones. Same goes for Gibson. I think that if you match Gibson's best and Heritage's best, that you'd have a phenomenal instrument. But chances are you'd pay least double if it was a Gibson.

I've read more than a few people stating that the Gibson LP reissues are all over the board. Generally pretty good, but there are some far above and below the mark.

Regardless of what's on the headstock, you need to play the guitar first and make sure it fits what you really want. Otherwise it'll be trade bait in a few months, and a few of us here know that is usually a losing proposition.

i have 2 R8s and a wildwood R9. they are wonderful guitars. my h150s and h157 are wonderful guitars. gibs are overpriced (and henry is a tool supreme). buy heritage.

I think you answered your own question!

Guest HRB853370

Sans the shape of the headstock (in which the Heritage headstock is arguably functionally superior), think of every Heritage as being a VOS reissue. These guys build them the same way LP's were built in the 50's because they were the guys building them in the 50's.. Using the same tools and methods then that they use today...

I agree with DB 100%. IF you have to have every spec the same (like the cutaway) which Heritage had to modify after the lawsuit from Gibson, then buy the Gibson. If you can get by that and realize that you are getting an instrument built the way the originals used to be built, buy the Heritage.

Personally, I think the bang for the buck hands down goes for Heritage. Les Paul's are extravagantly overpriced these days. I picked up my H150 brand new for $1600 and it outperforms any Custom Shop Les Paul I've personally played. The feel and tone is truly something magical.

I yearn for the days when I can afford another one!

Thanks for input.

Maybe to respond to a few of the thoughts and comments here.

1) I asked here because people are always really helpful and informed (certainly more than me) about the differences between Heritage and Gibson these days.I know there is likely some pro Heritage bias, but also know there are a lot of people here who have had an R9 or R8 as well as an H 150 actually in their hands.

2) I am not a collector. Love nice guitars though. Am a hobbyist player. Jam with buddies once in a great while, but moslty with jam tracks for fun. I love guitars and music and have fun and make a lot of noise in my basement which drives my wife and kid nuts.

3) I have a few pretty nice guitars (the H-555, a PRS McTrem, a Jaros chambered carvetop). Wanted a Les Paul for that vintage deep growly Les Paul sound us old guys grew up with (I am in my 50's). I play blues and blues rock, and some jazz.

4) Everybody is raving about the Gibson LP reissues and the clips and sound does sound really good. I have not played one. I had a LP Deluxe back about 25 years ago. I sold it to get a Kramer Pacer. Go figure.Anyway- I do not live anywhere where I can play an R9 in a store and an H 150. I guess I could drive up to Daves in LaCrosse or find a shop in Chicago. I live in Quad Cites on Iowa-Illinois border.

Question- I read where Heritage has changed the H 150 construction to longer tenon. Is that true? I do like that and my Jaros has a 3/4 body through tenon.

Are there any other signficiant differences in build process or materials or are the H 150's pretty much being built very similar to the Gibson LP Custom shop reissues (no weight relief, long tenon, high quality control). Are materials similar high quality?

Thanks again for any info this.

I am leaning toward grabbing a used R8, but now having second thoughts and that is why I posted this thread. Maybe an H 150 will get me the same high build quality and that vintage tone.

Guest HRB853370

I am leaning toward grabbing a used R8, but now having second thoughts and that is why I posted this thread. Maybe an H 150 will get me the same high build quality and that vintage tone.

I think you will not be disappointed, this is from somebody who has 4 150's.

After a certain point its all conjecture. Right now you may as well flip a coin.

I dont buy a guitar unless I can play it first and at the time I was looking there was 12 H150's to choose from and about 40 LPs through the different models. The H150 I bought really stood out to me. It felt really right. More so now.

Today if I was looking there are no H150's to throw into the mix and still about 40 LPs. Im guessing I would find a LP amongst them that gave me a rush no problem. I have certainly found some LP's since taking ownership of my H150 that completely yanked my chain. But then I go home, play my H150 and all is normal again. Its a GAS begone type of guitar.

My H150 is far from being a perfectly made guitar. Ive discovered flaws in its fit and finish along the way and some of them really makes me shake my head about how it made it out the door and on to the sales floor. But then I consider that it did take me over three months to find after non stop shop bothering and trying every available LP in that three or so months and that this flawed specimen of a guitar did in fact put the opposition to rest and took my cash.

my h150s and h157 are wonderful guitars. gibs are overpriced (and henry is a tool supreme). buy heritage.

what Eljay said...over time I've owned about 10 Gibson's including a very nice historic, but I sold them all once I got into Heritage's

some people can't get past the headstock shape...but I don't hear people criticizing Collings/Gustavsson etc and they are quite similar. in fact the Heritage headstock harks back to an age old design from Gibson, so it is pretty cool to have.....it's got a historic reference rather than some random shape

Question- I read where Heritage has changed the H 150 construction to longer tenon. Is that true? I do like that and my Jaros has a 3/4 body through tenon.

I do believe the 150s have the long tenon now.

Are there any other signficiant differences in build process or materials or are the H 150's pretty much being built very similar to the Gibson LP Custom shop reissues (no weight relief, long tenon, high quality control). Are materials similar high quality?

Consider this--Heritage makes about six guitars a day; Gibson makes about 2,500 a week! The only 150s that have weight relief are the LW (light weight) models. They are similar to the Guild Bluesbirds.

LKdog...I have a LP (not historic reissue) that has been my go to forever. Then I got a 150 (used btw) from an HOC member. It is perfect (to me) in every way. MY Gibby & my Heritage live in perfect harmony and I believe will do so as long as I am alive---But, the Heritage is in so many ways, the better git.

I can imagine trading a Gibby, I cannot imagine trading the 150. It's always right there in the brain to think abt resale---but I finally came to terms w/ the reality that I never want to sell the Heritage b/c I would have a terrible time replacing it---I could always go get another gibby. Just MO....

I hope that you get what you really want and enjoy it!

All 150s built within the last 2 years have long tenons.

That said I have four 150s with the shorter (notice I did not say "short") tenon and they exceed any solidbody single cut.

I have a $?K guitar that is solely handmade and I love dearly, but it is not as vintage sounding as my 150s.

Are there great sounding Gibbies, absolutely but you have to hunt for them and still end up paying over 2x the price.

If you don't need to see "Gibson" on the headstock and want a guitar made just how Gibson USED to make them, get a Heritage 150!

Here's a link to a thread that Rockabilly69 started. In it he compares the tone and playability of his new custom ordered H150 to a Historic Reissue LP he also owns.

Rockabilly69 has a discerning ear and very particular preferences. I found it interesting to see how his impressions evolved as he perfected the guitar's set-up.

Check it out. It addresses the very question you pose in your OP.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/21251-comparing-gibson-historic-reissue-to-current-h150/

Here's a link to a thread that Rockabilly69 started. In it he compares the tone and playability of his new custom ordered H150 to a Historic Reissue LP he also owns.

Rockabilly69 has a discerning ear and very particular preferences. I found it interesting to see how his impressions evolved as he perfected the guitar's set-up.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/21251-comparing-gibson-historic-reissue-to-current-h150/

Thank you. Will check this out right now.

I also ran across another video comparision I need to hunt down again and will pose a question to you guys.

The tone I want ( and I don't care what the headstock says in the end) is in the video.

I used to obsess so much over guitars on the internet, buying guitars simply on specs and looks. But over the years I've found that the best way to go about it is to just play as many guitars as you can. Don't force a buy. The one you want will just JUMP out at you.

I played my Heritage a few years ago and I knew after a few minutes I had to have it. It's one of the only brand new guitars I've bought in a long time but I just intuitively knew that it was a keeper. Same thing happened with my MIM Cabronita, my 62 AVRI Strat, my $200 Dimarzio modded Ibanez bass...the price doesn't really matter in the end. When you play something and fall in love, you just know.

Distance can be a hassle, I know. This was the only Heritage within 3 hours of my house. Next closest is 4 or 5 hours away, and at that point I'd considering making a road trip to Wolfe Guitars to try from the most variety.

Read the thread.

Have to say it was a little odd to be honest.

It just sort of trailed off and he says he now has to do mods to his brand new $2200 H150 which he had custom ordered?????

Ok, the video of comparisions that I stumbled upon start at 6'20" between an original Gibson LP '58, an original Gibson LP '60, and a Heritage H 150 (with WCR Crossroad pickups).

Interested to hear thoughts on these clips.

Read the thread.

Have to say it was a little odd to be honest.

It just sort of trailed off and he says he now has to do mods to his brand new $2200 H150 which he had custom ordered?????

Like I said, Rockabilly69 has a very discerning ear and is quite particular about how he wants his guitars set up to get the tone he's looking for. He's also a very busy gigging musician so these instruments are the tools of his trade.

Since that thread, he's changed out the pickups tailpiece and I think the bridge as well.

Archived