Heritage Owners Club

New H-480 Day

DavesNotHere

Well, I couldn't let this one pass being so close to home. I worked out a deal and here she is.

My quick first impressions are:

Kind of neck heavey- see monster headstock

Very bright

Very resonant.

really nice and low action with no buzz

I have to head out to a late ball game right now but when I get home I'll clean it up and put new strings on her.

DSCF3804.jpg

DSCF3796.jpg

DSCF3792.jpg

It's not a trick of the light, the headstock is that big!

DSCF3799.jpg

Well, the deal went down smoothly. It turns out he was a nice guy. A little communication goes a long way. ;)

Anyway, the top does have a few surface cracks, I'm pretty certain they don't go all the way through. I couldn't feel them on the inside. The condition of the top does not match the condition of the rest of the guitar. The top shows some heavy right hand work, but the rest of the body is as close to new as a 25 year old guitar can be. The action is low with no buzz, just a touch of fret wear, the fret board looks like new.

I was speaking to Marv yesterday about an order, and I mentioned I had just picked up an H-480. He couldn't place it right away. But he grabbed an old catalog to refresh his memory and this is what he told me about it.

The prototype was "loaned" to a Nashville player named Larry Boone in 1988. Marv said he never got it back so he reckons it's still on loan.

He doesn't remember making more than a "couple of those". He said probably three or four plus the prototype.

He also told me he made the entire guitar himself, the body, neck, everything.

He seemed genuly interested in seeing it and asked me to send him some pictures.

It's a great little guitar, but......I don't know if it's a keeper.

Guest HRB853370

Well, the deal went down smoothly. It turns out he was a nice guy. A little communication goes a long way. ;)

Anyway, the top does have a few surface cracks, I'm pretty certain they don't go all the way through. I couldn't feel them on the inside. The condition of the top does not match the condition of the rest of the guitar. The top shows some heavy right hand work, but the rest of the body is as close to new as a 25 year old guitar can be. The action is low with no buzz, just a touch of fret wear, the fret board looks like new.

I was speaking to Marv yesterday about an order, and I mentioned I had just picked up an H-480. He couldn't place it right away. But he grabbed an old catalog to refresh his memory and this is what he told me about it.

The prototype was "loaned" to a Nashville player named Larry Boone in 1988. Marv said he never got it back so he reckons it's still on loan.

He doesn't remember making more than a "couple of those". He said probably three or four plus the prototype.

He also told me he made the entire guitar himself, the body, neck, everything.

He seemed genuly interested in seeing it and asked me to send him some pictures.

It's a great little guitar, but......I don't know if it's a keeper.

I heard they only made several thousand..!!

Archived