Heritage Owners Club

The latest on Heritage Pickups

HANGAR18

A while back, I had learned about the HRW pickups (HRW= Heritage Ren Wall) and of their great reputation.

Then I heard they were no longer available, so last year I asked Ren Wall why.

At the time he said, don't ask but then told me about some new H-Kazoo pickups he invented.

THEN, I heard that the H-Hazoo pickups were no longer available.

So this year, I asked Ren, what's the story with Heritage pickups?

His answer started off with something like "Well, we're not doing pickups anymore..." and cited circumstances which he couldn't elaborate upon and I also gleaned a sense of the pickup making process just being a pain in the proverbial butt for them there at the factory.

So, my followup question was, "Well if Heritage isn't making pickups anymore, what would be the next best option for pickups?" Ren answered by naming a few different Seymour Duncan specialty named sets of pickups which most of you have heard of as well as a couple of non-SD pickups like Throbacks. I'm sorry that I can't recall all the specific models he mentioned, speaking to Ren is always kind of a sureal experience for me.

But anyway, that's one of the things we talked about last Friday while I was at the factory.

Guest HRB853370

A while back, I had learned about the HRW pickups (HRW= Heritage Ren Wall) and of their great reputation.

Then I heard they were no longer available, so last year I asked Ren Wall why.

At the time he said, don't ask but then told me about some new H-Kazoo pickups he invented.

THEN, I heard that the H-Hazoo pickups were no longer available.

So this year, I asked Ren, what's the story with Heritage pickups?

His answer started off with something like "Well, we're not doing pickups anymore..." and cited circumstances which he couldn't elaborate upon and I also gleaned a sense of the pickup making process just being a pain in the proverbial butt for them there at the factory.

So, my followup question was, "Well if Heritage isn't making pickups anymore, what would be the next best option for pickups?" Ren answered by naming a few different Seymour Duncan specialty named sets of pickups which most of you have heard of as well as a couple of non-SD pickups like Throbacks. I'm sorry that I can't recall all the specific models he mentioned, speaking to Ren is always kind of a sureal experience for me.

But anyway, that's one of the things we talked about last Friday while I was at the factory.

Ren doesn't reveal all his secrets.

I heard that Throbaks are being wound from the machine that Heritage/Gibby had at the shop.

As far as Ren goes,he could mount 6 strings on a 2x4 and make it sound good. He is a great player!

I heard that Throbaks are being wound from the machine that Heritage/Gibby had at the shop.

As far as Ren goes,he could mount 6 strings on a 2x4 and make it sound good. He is a great player!

I think Ren actually does mount strings onto a 2x4 to test his inventions.

But anyway, and speaking of old school pickups, I did read the verbage on the throbak web site along those lines. There are so many pickups makers who are trying to reproduce the original PAF pickups that it is confusing as to who is actually getting it right. And then there's these guys who are making Golden Age Parson Street pickups. WTF?

I think my interests in pickups are starting to shift from finding the "best" pickups to finding the "correct" combination of guitar/pickups/amplifier in order to achieve the sound(s) I am trying to get. That seems to be a more realistic goal. At the moment, I don't really think I want any vintage original PAF pickups at all. But my quest for pickups is a journey and my interests may change in the future.

There are so many pickups makers who are trying to reproduce the original PAF pickups that it is confusing as to who is actually getting it right.

It's not Rocket Science. Wire, plastic, wood, magnets. "We " know what's in there. If anything, the available technology is the barrier to "the" tone, in that manufacturing standards, and the ability to replicate a function exactly is what separates modern production from what was happening 55 years ago when Seth first came up with this.

Point is, it's not "who" is doing it, but how many. I believe any of a couple dozen sources will give you a good PAF clone. Then it's creativity to create variations for various applications - Duncan being the gold standard in that game.

and this is my 2000th post. skewed priorities indeed.

I have a set of HRWs in the Kahuna. LOVE them. They are different than your typical gibson style pickup. The "unmodded" schallers are also nice, though like any pickup, not for everyone. Right now I'm still on the fence over whether I should swap out the pickups in my H-535 to pearly gates pickups, or not. I really need to A/B my 535 with another next year.

I have a set of HRWs in the Kahuna. LOVE them. They are different than your typical gibson style pickup. The "unmodded" schallers are also nice, though like any pickup, not for everyone. Right now I'm still on the fence over whether I should swap out the pickups in my H-535 to pearly gates pickups, or not. I really need to A/B my 535 with another next year.

I've got one PG in the bridge position of my 535 but I don't have a video camera for a tone demo.

Maybe if I go to NJ sometime I could bring it with me for you to try out.

I see that I'm not the only one who watches those silly things. hahaha

lol...somehow yesterday I noticed. Not sure what made me look.

I was debating starting a thread in dramatic fashion...but then said screw it.

sad to think of the time I've spent accomplishing that....if I'd been practicing.....

lol...somehow yesterday I noticed. Not sure what made me look.

I was debating starting a thread in dramatic fashion...but then said screw it.

sad to think of the time I've spent accomplishing that....if I'd been practicing.....

I know, right? Looking at my count I thought about posting a countdown just to get over the hump but that's cheating I guess.

Oh look, I just hijacked my own thread! hahaha

I saw some videos on youtube where guys were winding their own pickups.

One guy in particular seemed to be really good at the whole process. (I think he resold them.)

This guy mentioned that one of the "tricks" he would do was to vary the speed of the winder while the pickup was being wound in order to have the windings wrap a little unevenly and that he said was so that it would produce a better growl tone or something like that.

I thought about trying something like that but talked myself out of it rather quickly. Too much of a PITA.

While talking with Jim Deurloo and Jack who used to do repairs at Heritage, I asked if there was any chance that they might work with a pickup maker to build something like the HRW again. Given the right non-disclosure agreements, and any patent info if they ever did that, and working with someone trustworthy, they could have pickups make to their spec.

Jim's comment was that it could happen in the future. Obviously something like that has been discussed.

Then again, maybe there are just SO many pickup winders and models out there that it would just be another face in the crowd, and not one that would be sold on the open market like a Seth Lover or a Fralin Pure PAF.

Guest HRB853370

I thought Les Paul came up that idea first!!

Then again, maybe there are just SO many pickup winders and models out there that it would just be another face in the crowd, and not one that would be sold on the open market like a Seth Lover or a Fralin Pure PAF.

This is it, I think. Given the existence of so many quality pickup makers, and the increasing installation of aftermarket pickups by customers, it doesn't make much sense for Heritage to invest in building them, when installing Duncans will satisfy a large percentage of customers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But it would be nice if Duncan, Dimarzio, or another manufacture would release a Ren Wall signature pickup Ren designed. It could be used on Heritage guitars and bought as an after market pickup. Considering the mystery around the HRW pickups and how well they are respected, I think they would sell well.

But it would be nice if Duncan, Dimarzio, or another manufacture would release a Ren Wall signature pickup Ren designed. It could be used on Heritage guitars and bought as an after market pickup. Considering the mystery around the HRW pickups and how well they are respected, I think they would sell well.

That would make sense to me. SD sells the Ren Wall designed Heritage pickups and Heritage gets a check every time they do.

Of the two Leesona's originally in Kalamazoo, Throback got the slug coil winder and Seymour Duncan got the active coil winder.

Archived