Heritage Owners Club

NAD: Egnater Tweaker 15

schundog

I have seen the error of my Solid State Modelling amp ways, and have pulled the trigger on a REAL tube amp! :laughing7: I have been interested in these for awhile. My buddy that just passed away had one, dug it, and FredZep has one and agrees that they are pretty awesome, so that was endorsement enough for me. This one was on GC's used section for a great price, so I picked it up.

Before this past year, I'd never had a separate amp head. I now have this 15 watt 6V6 Head and my Ibanez TSA15H with 6V6s. This may not seem like much variety, but they really do both have their own personality based on my limited experience with the Tweaker tonight. I am currently running the Ibanez though a homeade cab with a Peavey Blue Marvel in it that I picked up for $30 at the pawn shop. I have the Tweaker going through my Peavey Classic 30's speaker, a Weber Blue Dog. Right now, the Tweaker sounds much brighter than the Ibanez, but I won't make that assumption until I run both amps through the same cab, obviously.

The amps I have in the middle in both of these setups are not currently part of the sonic equation; They are plugged into nothing, simply putting the amp heads closer to eye level for easy knob-fiddling. I'm sure I'll have more observations on the Tweaker as I get to know it better, but for under $250 shipped, I feel pretty good about getting a great sounding, solid amp for a great price.

063FF7B0-C1A8-4A59-BEDC-38468C3E2466_zps

While I'm not likely to ever give my Cube, I'm looking seriously at the Fender HRDLXIII. The single 12 and reworked gain may address everything I was just too nuts about with the HRDVII. The Fender in your pic prompted this off - topic post. Good luck with the Tweaker!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Nice touch with the mug! Can you spell 'plagiarism', Schundog? :D

Great amp! You really should get it a nice cab loaded with something suitable, like a G12H30.

I love that speaker, that's what's in my TopHat Club Deluxe! Very punchy, smooth highs, great distortion tones!

Thanks, guys. I thought you'd get a laugh out of the, ahem, COFFEE mug, Howard! The speaker you mention is what Egnater recommends, too. It's what is loaded in their 112 cab. I guess that'll probably be next up. Here it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-tweaker-112x-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet

Edit to add/ask; Would the 112 cab Brent has for sale in the Huge Gear Sale section be a suitable replacement? Totally open back, Celestion Vintage 30 in it. Is it as simple as screwing a piece of wood over most of the back to make a semi-closed back? As you can tell, I'll pretty much a noob (or is it boob?!) at dealing with cabs.

Thanks, guys. I thought you'd get a laugh out of the, ahem, COFFEE mug, Howard! The speaker you mention is what Egnater recommends, too. It's what is loaded in their 112 cab. I guess that'll probably be next up. Here it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-tweaker-112x-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet

Edit to add/ask; Would the 112 cab Brent has for sale in the Huge Gear Sale section be a suitable replacement? Totally open back, Celestion Vintage 30 in it. Is it as simple as screwing a piece of wood over most of the back to make a semi-closed back? As you can tell, I'll pretty much a noob (or is it boob?!) at dealing with cabs.

Hey Boob - Nice snatch and happy NADs! Yes, BR's cab will do quite fine with a slab of ply on the back.

Love your amp stacks!!!

Hey Boob - Nice snatch and happy NADs! Yes, BR's cab will do quite fine with a slab of ply on the back.

Love your amp stacks!!!

I've been playing through this thing non-stop for the last three nights through the Weber Blue Dog. Sounds GREAT! Thanks, Gregg, for your help with BR's cab. I think I'll try to pick that up. Anyone heading to Chicago from Michigan that can stop by Brent's to pick this thing up?! Or do I have to wait until PSP?! GRR...C'mon, Brent, Road Trip! haha.

I like Bruce's take on things. Its a marshally, voxy, fenderish take on things.

The tweaker is a cool little amp. Much fun. Congrats. Good to see you detoxifying yourself of the digital haze. ;)

Heres my little Egnater that I cant sell because it has so much bad press on the internet. You almost cant give these things away.

IMG_4534_zps8986bd28.jpg

It sounds great. Never had a problem with reliability. It is a tainted beast of an amp.

There is no love for this thing anywhere. Im burdened with it. I dont want it anymore. I dont want to give it away. I will one day when my head space is there.

The third channel, I bought it for the third channel. Was worth it.

Weight = 60lbs. Its just a head.

I've been playing through this thing non-stop for the last three nights through the Weber Blue Dog. Sounds GREAT! Thanks, Gregg, for your help with BR's cab. I think I'll try to pick that up. Anyone heading to Chicago from Michigan that can stop by Brent's to pick this thing up?! Or do I have to wait until PSP?! GRR...C'mon, Brent, Road Trip! haha.

Head out this way to the ranch. You can stop in Kazoo for the cab. We'll set you up with a proper back and instruct you to drink single malt, smoke cigars and sing - simultaneously. Just think of all the hours you'll log on snow covered, icy roads. You'll be king!

I like Bruce's take on things. Its a marshally, voxy, fenderish take on things.

The tweaker is a cool little amp. Much fun. Congrats. Good to see you detoxifying yourself of the digital haze. ;)

Heres my little Egnater that I cant sell because it has so much bad press on the internet. You almost cant give these things away.

IMG_4534_zps8986bd28.jpg

It sounds great. Never had a problem with reliability. It is a tainted beast of an amp.

There is no love for this thing anywhere. Im burdened with it. I dont want it anymore. I dont want to give it away. I will one day when my head space is there.

The third channel, I bought it for the third channel. Was worth it.

Weight = 60lbs. Its just a head.

Man, Jeff, that thing is a MONSTER! Just carrying it around should earn you the Superman Mug!! I've seen one at GC, but never fired one up.

Head out this way to the ranch. You can stop in Kazoo for the cab. We'll set you up with a proper back and instruct you to drink single malt, smoke cigars and sing - simultaneously. Just think of all the hours you'll log on snow covered, icy roads. You'll be king!

Gregg, I would like nothing better, but that's a hell of a long way. I sure wish you lived closer; I'd definitely take you up on the offer. I did snag Brent's cab yesterday, so now I just have to figure out how to get it to Normal.

I'll have to try one again sometime. I unplugged very quickly last time I tried one.

Wow, your experience was that bad, Barry?!

Wow, your experience was that bad, Barry?!
It was. But....it was purely a taste thing. I was pumped to try one due to how many people speak so highly of them. I spent maybe 10 minutes on it and I just couldn't find anything that inspired me to play. No accounting for taste though. I mean, I play and love the much maligned Cube. I certainly want to give one another go. Sometimes a different attitude will change the results.

The amp I truly want to give a swing is the Carvin Legacy III.

That's cool. Some have said in other forums that the Tweaker does all things (Fender, Vox, Marshall) OK, but none of them WELL. I just think there are too many variables and combinations available to make that generalization hastily. Not only with the countless settings on the amp itself, but obviously different cabs/speakers would have a huge impact, in addition to the fact that any octal based tube (6V6, 6L6, EL34) can be used in the power section, and many have said that a preamp tube swap for NOS also greatly helps. I'm having a lot of fun with it, either way, which is all it's about for me.

Here's a video from about a year ago with my buddy Dave playing my Prospect through his Tweaker 15 plugged into the Eminence Texas Heat speaker in my Blues Junior. Crappy vid, taken with iphone, but this shows the Tweaker's rockin' side.

I think a closed back cab would sound much better with that amp.

Also, I am a BIG fan of the Celestion G12H30, I have this speaker in my Brownface Vibrolux and Brownface Deluxe (Big low end, nice highs)!!!!! The last one I bought was off the gear page, $70 pp & shipped!!!

That's cool. Some have said in other forums that the Tweaker does all things (Fender, Vox, Marshall) OK, but none of them WELL. I just think there are too many variables and combinations available to make that generalization hastily. Not only with the countless settings on the amp itself, but obviously different cabs/speakers would have a huge impact, in addition to the fact that any octal based tube (6V6, 6L6, EL34) can be used in the power section, and many have said that a preamp tube swap for NOS also greatly helps. I'm having a lot of fun with it, either way, which is all it's about for me.

Here's a video from about a year ago with my buddy Dave playing my Prospect through his Tweaker 15 plugged into the Eminence Texas Heat speaker in my Blues Junior. Crappy vid, taken with iphone, but this shows the Tweaker's rockin' side.

That sounded really good. Even before the test drive I took with it, the demo's all sounded very promising. It just turned out to be one of those amps that sound great in everyone's hands but mine.

Archived