Heritage Owners Club

(Link to article) southern farm boy...

chico

This story on Marv Lamb /heritage is in the Western Herald, the student newspaper at WMU and the impending 25th anniversary..it was linked on the Heritage Facebook page. Yes they have one now. Like it..

http://www.westernherald.com/news/kalamazoo-community-from-southern-farm-boy-to-company-owner-building-guitars-by-hand-in-kalamazoo/

Am I the only one thats going to say I thought it was rather pedestrian? Written on a less than college level? Sure, there are tons o'people that haven't heard the whole story before. Guess this article could be a good introduction to the boys at the 'zoo. But not what I'd consider to be up to newspaper worthy writing. Or is that just how college nps read?

Am I the only one thats going to say I thought it was rather pedestrian? Written on a less than college level? Sure, there are tons o'people that haven't heard the whole story before. Guess this article could be a good introduction to the boys at the 'zoo. But not what I'd consider to be up to newspaper worthy writing. Or is that just how college nps read?

Lol.

Reason is back when I was a student at WMU in the early 70s I worked down the hall from the Western Herald at the student owned and operated radio station, WIDR. The folks over at the Herald looked down their noses at us as if we were an unworthy medium. After all, this was the age of Woodward, Bernstein, and Deep Throat. We were rock n roll DJs with a news dept because back then radio stations had to do news to keep their licenses. Those newspaper journalists took themselves pretty serious, and us radio news types weren't worthy of the title (student radio station had about 50 unpaid employees, including a news dept. and pressing campus issues of the day to cover were things like co-ed dorms. Fast forward to last year, 2013, some 40 years later, and there is a campus wide vote for a five dollar surcharge per student to keep both the radio station and the Herald alive in this era of shrinking traditional media outlets...

So, your comment makes me chuckle as I wonder the relevance of what they are teaching those future newspaper employees...last I looked there wasn't exactly a huge upside for jobs in those industries..

Kenny, at least I got a gig in KC near you out of itM

Thanks for the link. I thought it was well written, and after all these years, I even learned a couple of new things about Marv.

Archived