Heritage Owners Club

Roland Jazz Chorus 120

A JC120 tried to kill my friend, Jack. He tried to lug it down his stairs barefoot, tripped and fell down half a flight with the amp tumbling down right behind him.

He survived with lots of bumps and bruises, but that mighty JC120 now resides permanently on the ground level.

Great amp!

Play (and carry) it in good health.

Those are great amps for using with digital effects racks/processors and midi hookups.

My friend actually backed over his with a car years ago.. ... had a few scratches but still works to this day......

I've got a JC 77...smaller brother of the JC 120. Love it for jazz and pedal stuff!

Maybe mine was the 77, as well. It's been a very long time, circa 1990. But it was "stereo", so probably was the 77. Either way, extremely clean. Wonderfully lush chorus. Built in "omg, wth is that noise?" fuzz, too.

Everybody talks about how clean it is, but honestly I never heard anybody play though it clean, they always add a bunch of effects.

Now the chorus is a lot of fun but tiresome after 30 seconds, but the vibrato is way cool. If you keep it trimmed down it sounds like a decent reverb.

Maybe mine was the 77, as well. It's been a very long time, circa 1990. But it was "stereo", so probably was the 77. Either way, extremely clean. Wonderfully lush chorus. Built in "omg, wth is that noise?" fuzz, too.

Yes, the distortion circuit leaves a lot to be desired, but I didn't buy it for the distortion. Bought it for the clean sounds.

So here is a better picture

post-8355-0-55749900-1395524473_thumb.jpg

I didn't mention that the reverb was not working, so I took it apart and found that a wire had come loose and the reverb tank was no longer seated. That explains the weird sound it made everytime I hit a speed bumb on the way home.

Culprit repaired

post-8355-0-95519600-1395524579_thumb.jpg

tank mounted

post-8355-0-72984000-1395524647_thumb.jpg

chassis ready to go

post-8355-0-55210500-1395524612_thumb.jpg

saved myself a few hunded dollars on that repair, close to what I paid for it.

Ordered an amp cover from D2F,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371027013791

and I am ready to go.

I had the opportunity to play one of those yesterday. I had not followed this thread and therefore I was shocked by how bad the dirty channel was.

Cleans were good but for the first time I experienced what many in this forum had experienced before with HRWs: I had really hard time taming the trebles response.

This is the first time I heard my H150 w/HRW sound so chimey... I mean way too chimey. It has to be the interaction with the amp.

I had the opportunity to play one of those yesterday. I had not followed this thread and therefore I was shocked by how bad the dirty channel was.

Cleans were good but for the first time I experienced what many in this forum had experienced before with HRWs: I had really hard time taming the trebles response.

This is the first time I heard my H150 w/HRW sound so chimey... I mean way too chimey. It has to be the interaction with the amp.

I had a similar experience with G&L MFD pickups, they sound great with a Blues Jnr, a Super Champ XD and a Vox AC30. With a Laney TT50 they sound downright nasty, but not in a good way !

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the distortion circuit leaves a lot to be desired, but I didn't buy it for the distortion. Bought it for the clean sounds.

depends on what you are after. I found great use for it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of had a 120. I purchased it used. The owner packaged it adequately, but not well. UPS put the gorillas on it, they managed to drop it so hard that both sides split out. Sad day -- at least the insurance paid the full amount including postage.

• 2 weeks later...

does the vibrato & chorus work in stereo in the JC120?

ie: does it pan back & forth between the speakers?

also does anyone know if they ever made these with tremolo?

thx!

yes, they pan back and forth, the only real drag is that the chorus doesn't have any depth control, but the vibrato does.

Archived