Heritage Owners Club

Microphone question.

mark555

For a long time the sure SM58 seemed to be THE vocal mic to have if you wanted the best working mic. However, I have been told that other brands, such as EV (ElectroVoice?) and AKG are just as good and less expensive, and that the SM58 is living off it's name.

I am not too knowledgable on the subject of Mic'c, has any one here any expererience of good but not over expensive mics, and how good is the EV compared to the Sure?

For a long time the sure SM58 seemed to be THE vocal mic to have if you wanted the best working mic. However, I have been told that other brands, such as EV (ElectroVoice?) and AKG are just as good and less expensive, and that the SM58 is living off it's name.

I am not too knowledgable on the subject of Mic'c, has any one here any expererience of good but not over expensive mics, and how good is the EV compared to the Sure?

If you're working with pro engineers they generally like SM58 as they are a standard, but when you're running your own

sound get what sounds good with your voice, and rejects feedback well. I have been using the Shure BETA 87 for the

few years I would never use anything else. You can find them used for a reasonable amount of money, but new they cost

around $250. They replaced a $500 Neumann mic I was using, and they work way better for me. I keep two vintage SM58's

with me at all times so when I play a big show where the engineer likes those, that's what I use. But for me the Beta 87 is my

favorite.

To answer your question, EV's are fine mics but I wouldn't buy online as they don't usually offer a return policy on mics due

to possible health risks.

I'd rather use anything other than an SM58. Dead, lifeless beasts. Then, that is my opinion. Some love them. Mics in the same price range, that I personally feel surpass the SM58 are the AKG D5, Senn E825 (my preference), Blue enCore200 or 300, Audix OM2 or OM3.

I've got an SM57, no SM58. I prefer the Senn 835e for that dynamic sound. It sounds crisper to me, and rejects feedback better in a live setting. I would like to play with the Audix as well... I've heard good things about them, but never had the chance to compare them.

I've used AKGs, SM58s, and more recently head set mics in performance. Other mics may sound better than the SM58s but as Robert Duvall once said, "I love the sound of SM58s in the morning. Sounds like... rock and roll."

Audix mics

+2, like Yoslate.

They sound awesome.

Has anyone used an Avantone product? I am wondering about the CV 12 as far as vocals go.

I own one. Nice studio mic. A little peaky around 2.5-3 k for my taste.

In live applications there are far better choices.

As a studio mic, it's a nice sounding piece of gear.

I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic TGX-47's last year. They are revered as instrument microphones, as an upgrade to an SM-57, but work extremely well as vocal mics. I just ordered the TGX-48, which is Beyer's upgrade of the SM-58. Both are discontinued but can be found from time to time as unsold stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-TG-X-48-Dynamic-Vocal-Microphone-/191126141813?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item2c80017b75

There are several factors that affect the performance of a vocal mic, and different mics sound better with certain types of voices. I find the EV mics to be clearer the SM58 and do a better job of picking up softer, lower volume vocal passages, better dynamics overall. I have an EV357 that I bought in the late 1980s and still sometimes use it live.

The Senn 800/900 series are good also. I haven't had the opportunity to try an Audix, but have heard good things about them.

If you can, try out several mic in your price range, find what suits you best. Regardless of what you choose as your primary vocal mic, I'd suggest throwing a 58 in your gig bag, you never know where you might end up playing and every sound guy in the world knows how to mix a 58. Good luck with your search.

At one time the 58 was the best working vocal mic... It is extremely durable and they are very affordable and still own the reliability title!

As far as "Living off their name"... That's BS, the biggest production house here uses Shure almost exclusively... They are the pros and work with this stuff everyday!

Mic technology has gotten a lot more technical and the magnetic materials have advanced tremendously and Shure has also updated with the times... They have a Beta series that makes outstanding mics for every application. I will say the standard 57/58 are dinosaurs in the mic world that still deliver what they delivered in the 70s.

For most personal use applications any popular brand mic will work fine as long as the mic IS designed for it intended purpose. You don't need to buy the most expensive.

I own and use Shure, EV, audio technical and others... love my Betas,my wireless is a Beta 87

I've got an SM57, no SM58. I prefer the Senn 835e for that dynamic sound. It sounds crisper to me, and rejects feedback better in a live setting. I would like to play with the Audix as well... I've heard good things about them, but never had the chance to compare them.

I own a Sennheiser vocal mic for live performances. Not that I ever use it... yet.

Being a voice over artist, when I built my home studio I went with a cardioid mic. In my case it was the TLM103. I always wondered what it would do with a guitar mic'd out of a small Fender tube amp over the house PA...

I have a number of mics but everyone who hears me sing asks me to use just the housing and no cable is needed.

I have a couple of Audio-Technica vocal mics that I like a lot.. I still use use a SM-57 to mic my amp though..

Archived