Heritage Owners Club

Need help picking a finish

rstein

I cant decide between two different finishes. I love the natural top which I know will go well with my gold HRW but I saw this other finish at the factory last week now I am torn. I know there are many things to consider and ultimately it comes down to my own personal preference but this being my first heritage I could use the help. The one that is not finished is a actual photo of my guitar body. Thanks all in advance.

post-19466-0-80703300-1400521017_thumb.jpg

post-19466-0-81916200-1400521019_thumb.jpg

post-19466-0-89819600-1400521523_thumb.jpg

post-19466-0-56443800-1400521541_thumb.jpg

post-19466-0-30401600-1400521588_thumb.jpg

I know that a lot of people like the Natural finish, but I would personally feel like I got cheated. Sand the guitar smooth and shoot clear over it? That's it?

If I am going to go through the trouble to order a guitar, I want the guy who shoots the finish onto the guitar to show off what he can do. I want the color to (POW!) impress me.

I know that a lot of people like the Natural finish, but I would personally feel like I got cheated. Sand the guitar smooth and shoot clear over it? That's it?

If I am going to go through the trouble to order a guitar, I want the guy who shoots the finish onto the guitar to show off what he can do. I want the color to (POW!) impress me.

EXACTLY my problem I want it to pop but at the same time I love the wood grain. Plus I don't know how the gold hardware will look with this finish.

I really like that color option you showed. That's VSB which is by far my favorite heritage finish.

When I talked to Marv we talked about not bursting it so I could seen more wood grain.

I can't tell if that finished Heritage is amber or VSB.

Whatever you pick you will have second thoughts about. For most of us, one finish is just not enough, which justifies getting another guitar.

If you can get past the GAS, consider antique natural. It highlights the flame without hiding anything. Here are some examples.

gallery_2472_317_114088_zps268ab577.jpgT2eC16JyUE9s6NEGyfBSDCklN4VQ60_12_zps310P1010015_zpsf3150bfe.jpgP1010014_zps42c1ea11.jpgP1010007_zps9a998b23.jpg

your choices are two of my favorite colors; Antique Natural and vintage Sunburst. Heritage does vintage sunburst the best. I think it will still accent the flames. blondes have more fun. Tough choices. i do think the VSB finish looks exceptionally well with Gold Hardware......

What does that mean if you can get past the GAS? I LOVE the antique natural but I am concerned I don't have enough flame to look anywhere near the one in the photo the top one that is. It has a ultra top. I do want a finish that highlights the flame as much as possible but doesn't hide the grain.

What does that mean if you can get past the GAS? I LOVE the antique natural but I am concerned I don't have enough flame to look anywhere near the one in the photo the top one that is. It has a ultra top. I do want a finish that highlights the flame as much as possible but doesn't hide the grain.

Just to add even more choices for you...how about Almond SunBurst. You can ask that they make it a tad lighter around the edges to show more of the flamey grain.

This photo of my H530 is taken with a studio light, making the ASB finish really POP, and shows more of the maple curl. My 530 is actually darker than the photo, but in the sunlight or bright interior light, the finish is stunning all the way to the edges.

I'm sure the factory could create something very special like this if you asked nicely. :icon_smile:

gallery_8_136_46131.jpg

The only natural finished guitar I ever thought was drool worthy was a guitar that G made which was called a "Three Piece Blonde".

It was a Les Paul model with a highly flamed Maple top, no binding, natural finish everywhere and a three piece Maple neck. Mmmmm, yummy.

Gold hardware too if I remember correctly.

Just to add even more choices for you...how about Almond SunBurst. You can ask that they make it a tad lighter around the edges to show more of the flamey grain.

This photo of my H530 is taken with a studio light, making the ASB finish really POP, and shows more of the maple curl. My 530 is actually darker than the photo, but in the sunlight or bright interior light, the finish is stunning all the way to the edges.

I'm sure the factory could create something very special like this if you asked nicely. :icon_smile:

gallery_8_136_46131.jpg

:love10::love10::love10::love10:

You may well be surprised at how well the counterstain brings out flame than cannot otherwise be easily seen. I've watched this in action and the results are immediate.

VSB is never wrong for a H150.

Few of us get past the desire for more gear. It's like girlfriends. There is always something interesting to look at and dream about. But when it really comes down to it, can you actually live with her for years without drinking heavily? Translating to a guitar, it comes down to how it feels and sounds.

I've ended up with Heritages that are joys to pick up and play. They all have routine finishes (antique natural, almond sunburst, old style sunburst) except a rose natural. None of them are hard on the eyes. I didn't choose the finish on any of them and am glad I didn't have to worry about that detail I suppose.

But if I had to choose for a H150, it would probably be VSB or amber, two very traditional finishes.

You really can't go wrong with any finish you choose. It's such a personal decision.

I wish I had kept this one. I only sold it to fund a custom build.

For my taste, it has just the right amount of flame, grain and mineral streaks.

One of Heritage's finest VSBs

150flame_zpsbe8eeb9d.jpg

You really can't go wrong with any finish you choose. It's such a personal decision.

I wish I had kept this one. I only sold it to fund a custom build.

For my taste, it has just the right amount of flame, grain and mineral streaks.

One of Heritage's finest VSBs

150flame_zpsbe8eeb9d.jpg

that is one extraordinary H150!

I almost bought it off you...but restrained myself.

who owns it now? it is still on the HOC isn't it?

that is one extraordinary H150!

I almost bought it off you...but restrained myself.

who owns it now? it is still on the HOC isn't it?

It was, but it was recently sold again. I'm not certain where it ended up.

Archived