Heritage Owners Club

Pups on old school H140?

LeeBear

Hey all. Just sold my Les Paul studio after years of trying to like it. Saw this on guitar center used and took the plunge. ($800 seemed within reason to me). Will get it next week. Being from West Michigan I've always wanted one but never quite got around to it. Don't know the specs, but it can't be any worse than what I was working with before. Anyone have any idea about the pickups? Thanks!

post-19736-0-66697700-1400960355_thumb.jpg

Hey all. Just sold my Les Paul studio after years of trying to like it. Saw this on guitar center used and took the plunge. ($800 seemed within reason to me). Will get it next week. Being from West Michigan I've always wanted one but never quite got around to it. Don't know the specs, but it can't be any worse than what I was working with before. Anyone have any idea about the pickups? Thanks!

Welcome, and nice 140! Full of vibe and charm. i bet is plays and sounds great. Plenty of folks here to give you an idea on what pickups went into these early 140's. You might want to open the back cavity. Sometimes the label says what the original pickups are. Not sure if those are original though.

Those pickups don't look like originals. Not often you see zebra bobbin pickups on a Heritage unless they've been swapped. Although they could have been part of a custom order. Looks like a nice guitar though.

Welcome. The pickup rings are Schaller but there is only one adjusting screw per side so as has been said probably the pups have been swapped. Nice deal, it has a nice top.

Please report back on your findings and impressions.

Yeah, my 1989 H-140 has zebra pickups... definitely aftermarket as they included the original Schaller pickups in the case.

Your's should be a very fine instrument, crafted in that old Kalamazoo plant. Congrats.

$800 is a good price on that 140. The early H-140s I've played have all been very nice and solid as a rock, especially for a 30 year old guitar. I like the weight of the 140s,.. comfortable for long stretches of holding the guitar.

I did change out the pickups on mine. The original Schallers were not right for me. I put SD AlnicoPro IIs in and that did the trick.

Enjoy! It looks like a really great guitar.

I have a set of Fralin Pure PAF's with a 5% underwound neck in my '89 H140. I did have a set of Tom Short Undercover Mini's in it for a few years and recently swapped in the Fralin's.

Picture1876.jpg

Nice one. Cool options too.

I have a set of Fralin Pure PAF's with a 5% underwound neck in my '89 H140. I did have a set of Tom Short Undercover Mini's in it for a few years and recently swapped in the Fralin's.

Picture1876.jpg

That's always a looker and cerainly one of my favorite 140s!!!!

as others have said, the only way you'll really find out what's in there is to pull the pickups, as they do not appear to be "standard". It may say on the inside of the control cavity, as it looks like they have been in there a while. it's remotely possible that they were the original pickups, but they definitely aren't schallers.

A little update-

I received this guitar through guitarcenter used a couple days ago. Unfortunately when I plugged it in right out of the gate the bridge pickup didn't work... Yikes. Brought it to my local guitar center and they replaced my pickup switch as well as the input jack on the spot because he said it was on its way out, all free of charge. I was very pleased with how far out of the way they went to make things right (I had bought this from a different store). Good on them.

After all of that drama...I brought it home, plugged it in, and WOW!!! I am so pleased! It sounds and plays like a dream! I was pleasantly surprised with how much lighter it is in comparison to my last LP.

Whatever pickups are in there sound great. I've run them through gambit while practicing the last couple of days, and can't believe how versatile it can be! I'm a jazzer who doubles as a cover band guru, so having a great working guitar like this is going to be an absolute joy. Thanks for all of your comments and recommendations. Looking forward to playing this one for a good long time!

Archived