Heritage Owners Club

small amp

Trouble

Thanks guys but I should have been more clear, looking for a schematic or layout, I want to build one.

Looking for something really, really small but I haven't found anything online like what I'm looking for. May have to adapt one of the tube driven OD circuits, or give up and make a solid state one, just really wanted to have a tube glowing inside it. LOL

Gonna make a little cab out of 1/4" maple, thought it would be cool setting on an end table beside the couch with a tube glowing in it.

I played LK155's Trinity amp kit today. Two tubes, a nice case and sound that ROCKS! Yes, you can back it down and be as polite as you please, but when you pull the volume knob out to go into full "attitude" mode, it will scream. I think its the Tramp model. You can get kits to put together. One 12AX7 and your choice of either a 6V6, 6L6, EL34, KT66 or KT77.

One could easily be playing in a club with this thing, then take it home and put it in the bedroom for practice.

I played LK155's Trinity amp kit today. Two tubes, a nice case and sound that ROCKS! Yes, you can back it down and be as polite as you please, but when you pull the volume knob out to go into full "attitude" mode, it will scream. I think its the Tramp model. You can get kits to put together. One 12AX7 and your choice of either a 6V6, 6L6, EL34, KT66 or KT77.

One could easily be playing in a club with this thing, then take it home and put it in the bedroom for practice.

+1 I heard this one two, and it is sweet!

Thanks guys but looking for something even smaller than all those. Was thinking something pedal sized like a Tube Driver, I may try to adapt that to just drive a small speaker, by small I mean like 3 inches, or build a solid state op amp based one like a small headphone amp.

There are plenty of small solid state designs that would work but I was hoping to find something with a really small tube more for aesthetics than anything else. This is gonna be strictly on the couch playing, a small nice looking cabinet to set on an end table.

I'll throw this one out for you. I was SHOCKED when I walked into the barn and they were playing through this "monster", a Yamaha THR5. Completely self contained, and I heard it all the way out by the road which had to be a good 100 yards away. This thing would be great for little coffee house gigs, or to throw into the car for vacation. Even runs on batteries.

No, its not a pretty cabinet, and its not tube, but what the heck... this is a practice amp. You're not going the get the same visceral sensation that you get from Marshall stack, or a Twin cranking. But it still sounded damn good, probably better than it should for the size. I should have bought the thing.

25448A2C-D062-45D3-A683-81FD70B199D6_zps

Blackstar One watt 1x8 tube combo, cheap as a pedal new :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/blackstar-ht-series-ht-1-1w-1x8-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Solid state; MicroCube 1x8, can use batteries for portability. Lots of different S/S sounds.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-3w-1x5-battery-powered-guitar-combo-amp

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at one of these... HARD. They also make a bigger/more expensive version that's got a bass, acoustic, and flat tone response models, as well as a 3 band tone stack, and can remember 5 presets. otherwise it's the same. Now if only it had a direct output, but a direct box can be found easily. One big thing people have said though is that the 10 has a separate volume control for the aux input.

The aesthetics are supposed to be like an old japanese tube radio, and it even lights up when it is on. It's got two 8 cm speakers, but from all I have heard and seen, sounds amazing.

I've always been looking for a small non headphone solution for my room to play. I had been looking at the micro cubes, but Yamaha makes incredible products. I've got two yamaha trombones, and probably a motorcycle soon as well.

I'll throw this one out for you. I was SHOCKED when I walked into the barn and they were playing through this "monster", a Yamaha THR5. Completely self contained, and I heard it all the way out by the road which had to be a good 100 yards away. This thing would be great for little coffee house gigs, or to throw into the car for vacation. Even runs on batteries.

No, its not a pretty cabinet, and its not tube, but what the heck... this is a practice amp. You're not going the get the same visceral sensation that you get from Marshall stack, or a Twin cranking. But it still sounded damn good, probably better than it should for the size. I should have bought the thing.

25448A2C-D062-45D3-A683-81FD70B199D6_zps

Yeah, that was mine. It was funny to see people's expression when they realized it wasn't hooked into the 2 X 12 cab it was sitting on! Add some delay, and it sounds HUGE. Mike, the quiet guy from Iowa, bought it from me for $100. I just saw this on MF; $199 plus free shipping and 15% off. So, around $170 brand new, with warranty, etc. Not dirt cheap, but not bad, either. Oh, and Trouble, it "glows" like a tube amp, if that helps!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/yamaha-thr5-modeling-combo-amp

Archived