Heritage Owners Club

Don't usually do this but HNLEHGD to me (but not without issue)!

davesultra

That's pretty much how I feel too. I was really disappointed with the fret issue, but I remember others had posted with the opinion that, the fret jobs and set ups from "H" were many times not up to par. This by the way is my first ever "new" Heritage guitar. The guy I take my guitars to these days' name is Scott, and he has a shop/co. called SMK Guitarworks. He's a builder/tech and does some phenomenal work, so I know it's in good hands. He did the fret job on the Kirn tele that I sold Lyle at this past PSP, and I received some good feedback regarding that set up job.

Scott Kenerson. I have heard good things about him. Very busy!

It helps he is my brother in laws brother.

http://www.smkmusicworks.com/About%20Us.htm

A good set up guy is golden. I had a love-hate thing going with my Sweet 16 most of the years I was gigging with it. I'd raise the bridge to get clean vibes and then get frustrated with the action and lower it again and put up with it until I couldn't stand that anymore and cycle again. I had it set up once during that time but it didn't quite get it really. Then I was turned on to the guy I use now and holy crap, it's amazing now. Now each new guitar gets a trip to him level frets or not.

Amen! I find that every guitar I have bought, including my Custom Shop SG needed a setup. I went through several set ups from different providers. I finally found Phil from Philtone Guitar Co. and I will never look elsewhere unless he retires. He does a PLEK with the set up if you ask and cuts the best nut I have ever seen. Every guitar that becomes a keeper visits Phil. The Squire classic vibe will be headed to Phill next week for a setup, bone nut, and brass saddles.

I tweak every guitar and sometimes it involves fret work - brand or cost hasn't mattered.

Usually, I'll wait until I'm familiar with the guitar and that provides some time for those assembled pieces of wood to get comfortable being my instrument.

With the H157LE, I've worn off some gold on the bridge and top wrapped 11's, that's it for the first two months. Eventually I'll take the stone to it, secure a slight mystery buzz (not fret related) as well as other delightfully exploratory and perilously invasive tasks. I'm just beginning to feel my way around and get to know the beast.

The last time I was at Dave's in LaCrosse, I played 8 Gubsons and 7 PUS's; maybe poor memory, but only one of those played 'good enuf'.

Received a call from Scott on Sat. afternoon, letting me know the work was completed. Went down to Motor City Guitar and picked it up! A HUGE improvement, and a 4 day turnaround to boot! Can't recommend Scott at SMK Guitarworks enough!!!

Dropped the 157 off with my tech today. Needs a fret leveling, which sucks as I expected better from a guitar in this price range. However, CME is reimbursing me for the costs incurred. In the end, all should be well, as I did get a good price on this. And after the tech work, it should be good to go.

Its sad to see this kind of stuff...seems like since Vince's premature and unfortunate departure, I have been told of a lot more of these kinds of issues happening again....I hope they don't carry down the same path they were heading before Vince saved them from going under.

Its sad to see this kind of stuff...seems like since Vince's premature and unfortunate departure, I have been told of a lot more of these kinds of issues happening again....I hope they don't carry down the same path they were heading before Vince saved them from going under.

+1

If it weren't for getting a nice price on this, I would have been super pissed. I remember reading that the late Ed Roman had stopped carrying The Heritage guitars due to degrading quality. That was a few years prior to Vince's arrival, and almost subsequent departure. Let's just hope this stuff winds up being an anomaly.

Archived