Heritage Owners Club

Does it make any difference...

LRS

... to rotate the neck pickup op my H150 180 degrees? I quite like the SD'59 bridge pickup but I feel the SD'59 in the neck position of my LP too boomy/muddy. I was just wondering if anyone ever tried to rotate the pickup 180 degrees and have the pole piece screws pointing south?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes no difference. But there are a few things that you can try.

You can change the tone capacitor for the neck pickup to .015 mfd. You can also try swapping pickup magnets. I really like alnico 2 in Duncan 59's. Alnico 4 was the most commonly used magnets in PAF's. There are other options available.

Thanks, right now it's as low as it can go, yet quite bass heavy. I might consider a magnet swap as a cost effective solution. Never done that before though, is it a delicate job?

Many people advise to adjust the amp eq to the neck pickup and then tame the highs on the bridge pickup with the tone control - works for me. Also, you can have an eq pedal on your board to take out muddyness when playing the neck pickup. It is all in the lower mids around 200 Hz. Cutting there does wonders to remove mud.

It makes no difference. But there are a few things that you can try.

You can change the tone capacitor for the neck pickup to .015 mfd. You can also try swapping pickup magnets. I really like alnico 2 in Duncan 59's. Alnico 4 was the most commonly used magnets in PAF's. There are other options available.

I like these ideas...

Some of the older Heritages came with 250 tone and volume pots, if so a change to 500 will clean up the mud.

Agreed... plus, changing the pots or capacitors is just about the simplest mod to do and makes a huge difference in the response.

A2GUITARS has a series of videos on Youtube that explain how changing values adjusts the frequency response.

Here's the first in the series.

What kind of amp are you using?

For small venues a 20W Budda Superdrive @ 2x 6V6, for bigger venues a 40W 1969 Fender Super Reverb @ 2x 6L6.

For small venues a 20W Budda Superdrive @ 2x 6V6, for bigger venues a 40W 1969 Fender Super Reverb @ 2x 6L6. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once that I remember, I corrected a very boomy sound I was getting from a pair of EL34's into a Marshall 4x12 cabinet by dialing down the low frequency dial quite a bit until the boomy sound went away. That's why I asked what kind of amy you were using. I'm also assuming that the pickups and wiring are in good condition, yes?

Archived