Heritage Owners Club

String preferences on your H555/535

Ghostbound

On a more positive note than my last post, what brand/guage of string does everyone prefer? I've essentially overhauled all of my guitars in terms of my string preference, and in so doing have started a war that is being waged inside my brain. Until recently, I have almost always opted for 11s when it comes to my 25.5" scale instruments, and my Heritage excursion is my first real experience with 24.75" scale (my other new baby is a 25" Monson, also a new experience). The surprising thing is that a set of 11s on the Heritage feels like 12s or 13s, to me, when i know that, mathematically speaking, it should feel more like 10s on account of the scale. This is probably due to the various problems i am having with the instrument on a whole, but i am curious; what does everyone else prefer and why?

10-46 on all my solid bodies & Semi-solids (Curt Mangan Nickel Wound).

On my Fenders & Fender-style guitars, same 10-46 but less picky with the brand.

I use 10-46 on Fender scale length (25.5") and 11-49 on Gibson/Heritage (24.75"), D'addario XL. On the H575 with the wooden bridge I've put a set of D'Addario Chromes, 11-50 with the wound third string - a plain third doesn't give the correct intonation on the stepped wooden bridge.

11's on the 535, D'Addario plain 3rd.

Did you have to change the nut slots for heavy strings?

Sorry for the hijack.

I use 10's on both 24.75 and 25.5. Mostly DR Pure Nickel but D'Addario nickel wound are often on sale for <3 dollars.

It's funny. Until recently, I never classified 11s as being particularly "heavy", as I used them exclusively on my Vigier Excalibur for quite some time. I learned the hard way, however, that guitars without truss rods, regardless of how stable the neck can be (it has a carbon strip that runs down the back of the guitar instead), are just as susceptible to the rigors of NYC weather as anything else. I had to go down to 10s in order for it to play without any kind of buzz after I was caught in the rain with my gigbag in tow.

I should be getting my H555 back from my tech very soon, with new bridge and nut installed and a set of D'Addario 11-49.

-Alec

Archived