Heritage Owners Club

which would you keep?

jazzalicious

I'm having a hard time deciding which guitar to sell to get a 555.

my single HRW 575mahogany or my 525.

I play mainly jazz but there's some funky stuff, and soul my band covers too.

I've been teaching and playing more with the 525 because it's less sensitive to Montreal's hellish weather and becuase it's so much more versatile.

But I DO love my 575. There's something nice about a solid wood archtop. different response and vibrations.

Honestly want to keep both but one has to go if I'm to get the 555.

thoughts?

It would be ideal to keep all three, but if you had to choose...

I had the same situation and as much as I hated selling it, I sold the 525. Why? Because I felt it wasn't quite the full-body jazz tone archtop of the 575 and my 555 is so versitle from clean to overdriven gain without the feedback issues of a hollow body 525.

Then again, I have two guitars with P90s (a 150 and a 535) so you would be losing the P90 tone if you sell the 525.

In the end I thought the 525 sounded close to the 575, but I was afraid of feedback when I have to use overdriven tones. SO my 555 gives wonderful cleans that rival the 525, but also can handle gain (in a band situation) with less issues with feedback.

Thanks for the input

I could save for a 555 but I don't actually want that many guitars...

It gets to a point that some are just sitting there

I can't use my 575 for teaching too much as it doesn't do the rock thing so much as my 525 or the 555 could...

I've been listening to YouTube and the 555 on overdrive sounds really amazing..

Ideally I use one strictly for jazz and the other for all the rest...

I'm actually suspecting the 555 could be good for my jazz/soul gigs as well..

I don't play loud enough for feedback

Even overdriven my 525 doesn't feedback

maybe you could ask for split coils push-pulls on your future 555

thus having it (sort-of)replacing the P90 single coils role currently covered by your 525 (?)

you are right about letting go guitars just sitting there...if I could only do it :)

but yes it's important for the environment too, more used guitars available should lead to less trees down

I have my eye on a used 555, so the split coil is not an option, but that's ok

Out of the 2 my 525 has more wear on it (a slight scratch ) and my 525 only has 2 little finish chips

(Very minor)

I think my 575 will move easier.

Out of the 2 my 525 has more wear on it (a slight scratch ) and my 525 only has 2 little finish chips

(Very minor)

it's interesting how motivations can be driven by different considerations

I'd thought to never part with a 575

there's always to learn :)

As an individual that is frequently scorned for my incessant buy/sale/trade of guitars, I've gone through over a dozen or more Heritages in the past three years. Plus the numerous Stratocasters and other guitars; a quick count in Photobucket revealed about 30 guitars have come and gone, along with a half dozen or more amps. I regret selling all of them, some more than others. If I was patient and bought guitars when I could instead of opting to lose money to sell quickly, I would have an impressive collection. My recommendation is to hold on to all your guitars. You'll rotate back and fourth between several guitars and you will dearly miss that 575 if you choose to sell it. I've made a pledge on this forum not to buy/sell/trade a single guitar or amp for a year. I'm four months into my plan and so far so good. Keep what you have, save up for what you want. I'm saving up for a custom order 535 myself. But I won't sell a single guitar to do so.

Let's reverse the scenario. I want both a 575 and 525.

Knowing the 525 is more versatile, and the 575 would be more sensitive to the mix of hot/cold and dry/humid weather, which should I get?

This is an easier choice for me since I have a Seth loaded Eagle Classic. I'd probably get the 525, with P-90s, of course.

I'd also consider keeping both and getting a 535.

It's a win/win either way. Pairing either a 575 and 555 or 525 and 555 would provide enough range for just about any application.

I guess it comes down to a person's individual bond with the instrument.

put aside the weather influence for a second

imho it's important to not forget the comparison is between semi-hollow against hollow bodies,

maybe there are other factors/options to take into consideration together with pickups

last night home practice(warm-up and start with D-35):

made a standard Gm 12 bar blues and playback,

use my H535 with splitted SD59's,

swap with 1995 ES135 (equipped with P100s, stacked P90s - see above DetroitBlues's rule: "Keep what you have, save up for what you want.") which could be compared to the H525 someway

535 wins for the wider range of configurations/tones it's still a different guitar but could get close to waht the ES135 had to offer,

not sure if a 535/555 can replace a 575 round, deep presence and tone...but I never owned one

Hmmm

Lots to consider

I'm trying to move other gear Instead that I have , but in the end don't really need three guitars.

It's a nice idea to have three great heritages, but I like bonding with ONE instrument as much as possible and getting my sound from it...

Since the title of this thread is "Which would YOU keep?"...I'll respond accordingly.

If it were ME, I'd keep the 525 and 575, then save up for a 555. That is exactly what I did. YMMV. :icon_salut:

This.

He who passes with the most guitars wins.

This really isnt the best place to ask the question you asked.

Which guitar should I keep?

All of them and get some more as well.

Keep the most useful. If you sell the wrong one you can always kick yourself later.

I have my eye on a used 555, so the split coil is not an option, but that's ok

(Very minor)

A possibility would be to replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan P-Rails in Triple Shot rings. This gives the option of four different sounds per pickup (coils in series, P90 coil, rail coil, coils in parallel). I think Southpaw Guy has a 535 or 555 with P-Rails.

I have an H 110 on order with precisely that configuration (P-rails in Tripleshot rings) I am hoping that this will become may all-work guitar. That said my SethLover H555 is pretty damn good at everything bar sounding like a Strat!

Dont sell - there are days/weeks when suddenly you just want to play that guitar and if it's no longer there then somehow it's.... wrong!

I just don't have the liquid cash right NOW and my financial situation is more precarious each year.

I teach guitar for a living privately and whereas 7 years ago I had 75 private students per week (yes...75!) I'm down to 25.

I have to teach in a music school, teach in a classroom, sing in daycares, and make the odd sale of a guitar or amp with my retail (from home) music business.

It's a constant juggling act, but getting harder each year.

Unless I win the lottery....I don't see the funds for a new/used personal guitar coming..

Here's another option which I took. Just wait until you can afford the new guitar without selling either on the ones you have. You might have to wait a while, but it will be worth it in the end. I have waited a long time to get my latest addition, and could have had it sooner had I sold a guitar I already own. It was worth the wait.

Archived