Heritage Owners Club

One amp to rule them all?

Ok, sorry for the bad LOTR reference, but I'm at apoint now where I've got amps coming out of everywhere. I have the following: Marshall TSL122 Combo, Mesa Boogie DC-5 Combo, Carvin X-100B Series IV with a 2x12, Carvin X100B Series III Half stack, Carvin V3M with a 1x12, Carvin Vintage 16 Combo, and a Carvin MTS100 Combo. A lot of these are big, heavy, and loud. They also take up a fair amount of room.

Lately I've been getting the urge to purge and get one amp that can do a lot of things really well. Or maybe just go to one amp with a bunch of dirt pedals (which I already have but don't use). One amp in particular that appeals to me is the discontinued Mesa Boogie Tremoverb combo. It is beastly like the Marshall in terms of size/weight, but it has wheels, side handles, and also a workabkle master volume. Also there is a "channel cloning" feature that basically allows you to have two orange or two red channels. Also the built in reverb and tremolo would be really cool.

Does anyone have any experience with the tremoverb? Mesa boogie makes nice stuff.

Then the other question is, what to do with all my other amps... the ones that sit around all the time and do nothing because I don't have enough room to have them all set up at one time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't answer to the Tremoverb specifically, but I do have a Single Recotverb. It is nice to be sure, but not as versatile as you might think. Good cleans and great dirt, but a bit sterile if you want creamy mids, and it won't do Jazz. The Mesa Lone Star will be very versatile, but it's super heavy as a 2x12 combo (has wheels). It isn't very exotic, but if you already have pedals, consider the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Superior cleans, lousy dirt channel but it takes pedals supremely well, and so you get a nice, lighter, 40 watt amp that will do anything if you run stomps. The HRD is the most used gigging amp out there.

You know what to do with the old ones...sell them to fund the new one!

I do turn some up. Also the Carvin MTS3212, while has a very METAL lead channel, has a very VERY clear clean channel, so If I go the pedal to amp route, I already have that.

I guess it is too much to ask for one amp that can do EVERY sound. Even the MB Mk5 can't do everything well.

I have been trying to sell the Marshall, but even at 800, no bites. Has new tubes and fully serviced etc.

Recently I've mostly been playing my Carvin V3m, which does have a great clean and lead channel, but really could use a MODERATE gain channel. The lead channels are clones of one another, and both have quite a bit of compression.

For now I guess I really just need to play through each amp, and decide whether it's worth it, or not.

Nice amps. I've been curious about those Carvins.

I've had my Mesa DC-5 for decades, and the only thing I "needed" after that was something smaller and lighter.

My "down-watting" took me to a '73 Deluxe Reverb, Roland Cube 60, and finally a 5F1.

That covers all my needs, and then some, for pure fun.

Now, I don't want to part with any of them.

I DO need to get rid of an 1890's pump organ to clear some space against the wall.

The carvin amps are nice, though they are PCB-based amps, which some people are very against. However, Current Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Peavey, etc amps are all PCB based. There just isn't an easy way to fit a ton of functionality into a small space if you are using turret boards or PTP. It's fine for simple amp designs, but when you've got multiple channels with their own tone stacks, multiple modes per channel, boost controls, reverb, and so forth, it's close to impossible.

For me, the one amp to rule them all has been my Guytron GT100 F/V. It's a two channel amplifier capable of replicating Blackface, Silverface, Bassman/early Plexi, Late 60s Plexi, Vox, old Valco, modern Marshall, and hot rodded amps.

Each channel is a fully functional switchable Class A amp that includes pre-amp and an EL84 output section. These channels then feed the final Class AB output section at line level. This allows the tone to be modeled at the channel level, then have that signal amplified through the final 100 watt output section, itself having further tone, and presence controls. The latest versions of this amp include F/V selectors which provide 'focus', and 'voicing' options to get classic American, or British character, and control over EL84 fizz and compression.

I can get whatever tone I need without digital modeling at virtually any volume level. The downside is: They're not cheap -and they weigh a ton.

...It isn't very exotic, but if you already have pedals, consider the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Superior cleans, lousy dirt channel but it takes pedals supremely well, and so you get a nice, lighter, 40 watt amp that will do anything if you run stomps. The HRD is the most used gigging amp out there.

+1 on the HRD suggestion. I had read all the pluses and minuses, but actually playing through one was an eye-opening experience. The "superior cleans" description is dead-on. Beautiful classic Fender clean tone--taut, piano-like lows, glassy shimmering highs. And it truly takes pedals beautifully, so you really don't need to rely on the less-than-impressive overdrive channel for "dirt." Additionally, they're very reasonably priced. Sure, there are better sounding boutique amps out there--and, yes, I'm sure vintage blackface Fender amps sound better--but the HRD is a very solid amp at a very good price. And there are TONS of used ones for sale on eBay, Reverb.com, etc. I picked up mine, a lightly used lacquered tweed special edition in near-mint condition, off my local Craigslist for 5 Benjamins, and have been very pleased with it. The only change I made was some better glass--a pair of SED WInged C 6L6GC's, biased a bit hotter than Fender sets them up.

Coupla pics:

HRD_Ltd_front+top.jpg

HRD_Ltd_back_open.jpg

I sold all my multi channel amps and just use a fender and od pedals.

I dont miss any of the multi ch amps but I do keep toying with the idea of a MkV. I cant see it happening unless I get a mad bug again.

What sort of music do you play? Do you need a high gain amp?

I am mostly a classic rocker, but play some metal, and some cleaner 80's style stuff with chorus effects and such. I am however starting to see the wisdom of the people who have the mega pedal board: less reliance on the amplifier.

on the other hand, nothing is quite like a good amp that you can just plug in and go with.

Vox AC30 (or any of it's offspring, cousins and long lost uncles). Loves pedals. Sounds great on it's own. I use a Mesa Transatlantic 15 on the Vox Top Boost (25w) channel. And a 112 box. Amazing the territory I can cover. Light weight and very portable.

Altho', sitting at home because of weight (theirs AND mine) are a Vox AC30 CC1 and a Mesa Lone Star Classic (wasn't "Classic" when I bought it). And I really like those two amps as well. Have great tone on their side, and take pedals like they were meant for it. So ........ there, no help for you at all.

Got to agree with the Vox suggestion. On its own, it is capable of a LOT of styles including jazz. Where it won't go on its own is heavy metal. However, a pedal on it and you are off to the races with that too. I did that on a recording session for a friend. OD into a Vox. SCARY. :D

Got to agree with the Vox suggestion. On its own, it is capable of a LOT of styles including jazz. Where it won't go on its own is heavy metal. However, a pedal on it and you are off to the races with that too. I did that on a recording session for a friend. OD into a Vox. SCARY. :D

Don't the Voxes need to be driven fairly hard to get a good rock/dirt sound? I always thought they were like the non master volume Marshalls: born to be blasted loud.

Of course, before I do anything, I need to get all the amps out, try them for a bit, and decide what is going.

Don't the Voxes need to be driven fairly hard to get a good rock/dirt sound? I always thought they were like the non master volume Marshalls: born to be blasted loud.

Of course, before I do anything, I need to get all the amps out, try them for a bit, and decide what is going.

If you're going the Pedal Board route, that's not really an issue. Frankly, after playing through TalismanRich's Princeton Reverb Clone, I've been thinking about one of those. Add a bit of dirt in the front of it and you're ready to rock.

If you're going the Pedal Board route, that's not really an issue. Frankly, after playing through TalismanRich's Princeton Reverb Clone, I've been thinking about one of those. Add a bit of dirt in the front of it and you're ready to rock.

The ONLY problem I have using my Princeton clone (Headstrong Lil' King) and a some pedals, is that if you want a clean amp at stage volume this could be an issue. The Princeton will breakup too early on it's own due to only 12-14 watts of clean headroom.

I prefer a 22-38watt Fender tube amp, that way it has enough headroom to play clean and then use the OD pedals for your dirty "channel".

That's a problem in general with lower wattage amps. I mean, I have a carvin vintage 16, and it is a bit treble heavy, but has a good sound. However to get any real volume, it starts breaking up.

For pedals, the best amp I have is probably the carvin X-100B through an open back cabinet with two texas heats in it. The clean channel is great, and the lead channel ain't bad either. The MTS Combo runs through two eminence black powder speakers, and also has a great clean.

The clean on the marshall.. is really kinda lacking in treble. The lead channels are much better. No one really buys a marshall for a clean channel anyway.

it really depends on what you're after of course but you also have the option to get an AC15 and it won't need to be driven nearly as loud. Along those same lines, there's also Mesa's TA line. If it were me and I needed an amp to cover all my bases, I'd probably go with a Mesa Mark V. There's just very little that it won't do brilliantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one that rules them all for versatility for me is a Tweed Bassman/ true 4 hole Marshall wether its JTM45, JTM50, JTM45/100 or JMP the basic tone is what I consider "mother tone" by itself based on how many of my favorite albums use these very amps. For higher gain you can use a pedal.... and unlike lots of modern amps these take pedals like a treat. Reverb or other effects can be pedal based as well.

If its too loud get a PPI master installed like the Ken Fisher/Lar/Mar one thats all over the Metro forum.

Archived