Heritage Owners Club

1963 Fender Tweed Champ

Ok, I'm waiting for the NAD thread DB. It sounds like you've got the bug for a Champ (though I still think a 5e3 would suit you better).

Perhaps.... I'm getting some help sourcing parts from a well respected builder here. :) As soon as I have what I need figured out, I'll begin my project.

DB, I'd like to give you an amp recommendation. You are all over the place with your gear desires, so if this isn't for you, no worries.

Look for an '80s Fender Rivera-era Super Champ. I know of no better small amp for jamming at home, and if connected to a 1x12 or 4x12 ext. cab, it can hang with a loud drummer at live gigs.

Think about it...a Champ-sized, grab-n-go, 18 watts, single channel, solid state rectifier and reverb all blasting through a 10" speaker!

I've owned two of these little beasts, as well as its non-reverb brother, the Champ ll. All they need is good tubes, speaker upgrade and maybe a bit of attention if neglected over the last 30-35 years. Once dialed-in, you will be amazed at the volume, tone and quality of these point-to-point, hand wired amps. They are easy for an amp tech to work on, hold their value much better than most boutique amps made today...and are/were made in the USA.

Good hunting!

Don't buy the old amp. Mojo costs unnecessary resources. Use that personal curiosity to build a circuit like it from scratch that sounds better to your ears at home and on stage in the mix... You're ready. You have help close by. And we'd love to hear about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DB, I'd like to give you an amp recommendation. You are all over the place with your gear desires, so if this isn't for you, no worries.

Look for an '80s Fender Rivera-era Super Champ. I know of no better small amp for jamming at home, and if connected to a 1x12 or 4x12 ext. cab, it can hang with a loud drummer at live gigs.

Think about it...a Champ-sized, grab-n-go, 18 watts, single channel, solid state rectifier and reverb all blasting through a 10" speaker!

I've owned two of these little beasts, as well as its non-reverb brother, the Champ ll. All they need is good tubes, speaker upgrade and maybe a bit of attention if neglected over the last 30-35 years. Once dialed-in, you will be amazed at the volume, tone and quality of these point-to-point, hand wired amps. They are easy for an amp tech to work on, hold their value much better than most boutique amps made today...and are/were made in the USA.

Good hunting!

I think a Champ II is a much better amp and they have not reached the premium price they deserve (as of yet). The original Super Champ, is commanding higher dollars but the Champ II is a great alternative. Good luck on your quest. BTW: Maybe I lost some hearing in the 70's but at minimum, I would want at least the power of a Princeton for the blues Jams I do and does okay at lower volumes. (just my humble opinion) but I don't think an old champ has enough omph (sp)

Archived