Heritage Owners Club

Is changing to Aluminum talipiece common on H 535?

Lkdog

I picked up a used H 535 which was a special order from Wolfe guitars in 2004 I guess.

It has Tone pros locking bridge, and not sure of the tailpiece, but seems to be some type of zinc heavier pot metal.

Do people swap out for Aluminum tailpieces on H 535's?

Guitar sounds excellent as is, but always tweaking.

23825863249_5ee5536107_h.jpg

I have switched every stoptail piece to light weight Faber Aluminium and love the overtones and 4-5oz of weight relief.

Any aluminium stoptail will fit a Heritage. I went the full Monty Vintage accurate of Aluminum stoptail and stainless steel nickel plated studs. The aluminium + stainless steel gave the best (and most noticeable) sound improvement, but you could just buy an Aluminium stoptail and use your current studs.

I still like the big ol Schaller tailpiece on mine. It did have standard nashville hardware on it when I got it, but I put it back to stock. I need to break it out sometime. I've lately been finding I like a higher action on guitars, so I've been re-setting up just about all my guitars as I take them out.

This issue is with the threads. They may be metric threads or imperial in the guitar. I'll have to revisit my old emails to Larry when I bought my Faber kit, but that was the only question. If you're keeping the posts it's irrelevant.

What is the reason for wanting to change it? Do you want to take a few ounces off your shoulder? Do you think it will change the tone or playability?

It will absolutely change the tone, absolutely.

It will absolutely change the tone, absolutely.

I recently picked up a TonePros ii kit and a few Gibson pieces. One piece is a very light tail piece from an SG weighing 1.2 ounces. I was thinking of tossing those around on my 535 on my next string change. Problem is the string change will cloud my judgement on a tone change. But I've heard that the Gibson pieces are made of cheap tone sucking metals. I'm don't know how to tell what the metal composition is in any of these pieces.

Archived