Heritage Owners Club

157 vs 150

DetroitBlues

Aside from the binding and hardware differences, would there be a drastic or noticeable difference between a 157 and 150?

Wood differences comes down to rosewood and ebony fretboards.

But what if the 157 was true to the original LP Custom and had an all mahogany body?

Would that make a difference in tone or weight?

Thoughts?

I love ebony on archtops and acoustics for that fast quick snappy response. I don't like ebony on LP or 335 style guitars because I want a nice big deep tone that doesn't get harsh on the treble pickup.

And yes, a significant weight increase on an all mahogany 157. I do like ebony on all mahogany guitars because it gives the mahogany the brightness and zing that doesn't have without a maple cap.

Just my .02

If I recall, weren't LP models originally supposed to be all maple, but it was too heavy? Back then mahogany was lighter (different sources no longer available).

anyhow, it would depend on how you spec'd out your H157. I think 5 piece maple necks with mahogany stringers used to be standard or an option. And there is the additional bling.

You'll see some difference in weight between mahogany and mahogany/maple. It will depend a lot on the specific piece of wood. The average density of Honduran mahogany is about .65 or 35 lb /cu ft, maples will run .6 to .75 depending on species. if they are using a good hardrock sugar maple, it will be at the top of the range or about 44 lb/ cu ft.

As to the tone, I think each guitar will be a little different. I wonder more about the actual neck wood. How the wood is cut is going to have effect on the stiffness and stability. Quarter sawn wood should be more stable and resistant to warping or movement than a plane cut or rip cut wood. That might explain why some guitars seem to be more tuning stable and resisitant to changes in temp or humidity.

Reasons to use Quarter Sawn Wood.

I like the feel of ebony and maple over rosewood for the neck. It just feels a bit smoother, maybe a little slicker when fretting. Rosewood seems to have more texture. That's why all my Fender style guitars are maple neck. They feel really smooth. That said, my H140 neck is really stable and feels great, and its rosewood.

I love ebony on archtops and acoustics for that fast quick snappy response. I don't like ebony on LP or 335 style guitars because I want a nice big deep tone that doesn't get harsh on the treble pickup.

And yes, a significant weight increase on an all mahogany 157. I do like ebony on all mahogany guitars because it gives the mahogany the brightness and zing that doesn't have without a maple cap.

Just my .02

So would you assume that an all mahogany 157 offsets the snappy/brightness of ebony to give it more a traditional Lester tone? Part of the reason why I chose a custom 535 over a 555 was the maple/ebony combination. I wanted the "woodiness" tone of the ES and wanted to avoid something that was too bright/brittle sounding.

I love the Les Paul tone that cuts through smoothly, not brittle. Probably why I like the lower output pickups such as Seth Lovers or 57 Classics.

I had a 40th anniversary LP with p90s. It was mahogany and ebony fretboard. It was way too bright and snappy for me.

If I wanted a traditional LP tone the I would get a 150.

So why are you considering a 157 over a 150 with a bound headstock?

I had a 40th anniversary LP with p90s. It was mahogany and ebony fretboard. It was way too bright and snappy for me.

I had one of those too. Could never bond with those P100s'.

If I wanted a traditional LP tone the I would get a 150.

So why are you considering a 157 over a 150 with a bound headstock?

I like the elegant tuxedo look of a LP Custom/H-157....

I get what bright sounds like, versus dull, but what does snappy mean? More attack?

I have an all mahogany H157 with an ebony board

it does sound a little different than my H150

the H150 has a rosewood board

the brightness added to the mahogany by the ebony board is different than the brightness added to the H150 by the maple cap

they both sound GOOD to my ears

but they also have different pickups

so who knows....I would be happy with either

Archived