Heritage Owners Club

Never judge a book by its cover....

brentrocks

Words to live by, right?

Well, in my infinite wisdom of guitar buying....LOL.....I came ​across this lovely H157. While perusing the pictures, I see an HRW switch tip (you know, the black tip with a white dot) I say to my self....self, this is a killer buy, even with the wear n tear!!!! So I pull the trigger.

It arrived yesterday and I had already planned a full tear-down/buff/cleanup, because I knew upfront that it was caked with haze, sweat, spooge, etc. The strings had enough rust on them to start a science project. The amount of dirt and grime was making me shake my head at how someone could let such a beautiful instrument go for sooooo long!!!!

So...I start to take it apart. And back to the title, I pull out the pickups........they are stock Schallers!!!!!! NOT HRWS!!!! At first I was pissed off....I went back to the listing, and sure enough, it said nothing about having HRWs. I ASSUMED (makes an ass out of you and me, as the old saying goes) because of the switch tip, it was HRW equipped!!!! Nobody to blame but myself. For the price...I cant bitch too much

So I trudge on....completely tear down the guitar, get out the polishing compound and the cordless drill loaded with my Mothers Power Ball buffer. I brought back a perfect gloss to the top. Cleaned off the pounds of dead finger scum off the fretboard. cleaned up the back the best I could...lol. Installed a set of zebra 57 Classics and a really groovy PEACE tailpiece!!!

My next dilemma is, what to do about the stress crack on the headstock??? Its definitely into the wood, but its not all the way around. Its stable and the guitar hold tune perfectly. I was contemplating spreading the crack enough to get glue in and clamping it. I have 10s on it and it hasn't moved. I think I will hold off and see what it does over the next few weeks.....if it aint broke don't fix it?

After all was said and done, the true test....final setup, intonation, tone, playability. It passes with flying colors!!! Its a beast!!! Great action, warm tone....a true H157 rocker!!!

IMG_0362_zpsgxno78jd.jpg IMG_0361_zps1juot4gg.jpg IMG_0364_zpsfs70fmqg.jpg IMG_0365_zpsrdtjynks.jpg IMG_0367_zpsxdz4sajp.jpg IMG_0368_zpsmlrg6rqu.jpg IMG_0369_zpszrrzmk8u.jpg IMG_0370_zpsl9qu1hy4.jpg IMG_0371_zpskikx2icn.jpg IMG_0372_zpsezzfohmb.jpg

Dang! That looks killer! I'm no luthier, but if that crack is stable, I wouldn't fool with it to much. It might make a decent situation into something undesirable.

Congrats on the axe!

Thanks! I kinda figured if it holds tune, to just leave it alone

Wow! I love the top! Nice !

Thanks Dave! its a unique top, for sure

Love the tail-peace

Thanks Greg! I thought is was kind of cool too

Excellent 157 Brent - you did a very nice job fixing her up!

Thanks Scott!!!

That is a stupid piece off of a PEACE guitar, I happen to own 2 guitars and while I think they are good guitars... It was just another silly gibson ploy to sell guitars.

WOW!!!! not sleep well last night?

WOW!!!! not sleep well last night?

Somebody awoke on the wrong side of the bed...

Could be a good guitar as a keeper,but an unrepaired headstock crack would be a serious price damponer

if trying to sell,whereas a good repair would have less effect on the value

I paint dots on the tips of my switches, not to make them look like HRW's, but just because I like the look of the dots. Perhaps...?

Could be a good guitar as a keeper,but an unrepaired headstock crack would be a serious price damponer

if trying to sell,whereas a good repair would have less effect on the value

The seller said that crack has been like that for 9 yrs and hadn't changed, so I'm gonna leave it for now.

I paint dots on the tips of my switches, not to make them look like HRW's, but just because I like the look of the dots. Perhaps...?

The funny thing is that it's an authentic HRW tip. They were hand made at the factory.

Love the honest buckle rash on the back. Shows its been used, for sure. Dig the chevron style flame, too.

Thanks Kenny!!! In this age of "reliced" guitars, this natural play wear seems to fit the bill.

I think you could touch that us on the stinger and make it not show because it is all in the black area. You probably know this but stew mac sells black super glue. You could get the really thin stuff, maybe a little polishing compound after applied and it would look pretty good.

I repaired a thin crack like that by using special cyano glue that is formulated to work on wood...it's thin so it runs deep into the crack, like crazy glue would.

then I used some yellow carpenters glue on the very top bit, like you did there

I think it is difficult to get yellow glue to run down into the base of the crack. that cyano stuff works like a charm though.

I think it was called ZAP, a friend used it to build remote control airplanes:

http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=zap-brand-products

Archived