Heritage Owners Club

NAD

Vintage New Amp Day for me.

A co-worker used to play guitar and bought a Gibson G20 Solid State amp when he was a kid. He has grandkids now, so life is different for him today. Yesterday, he presented me his grandfather's Martin 0-15 from 1938 and his own Gibson G20.

The Martin will be going off for repairs being as old as it is.

The Gibson works well, nice clean tone to it. Full size spring reverb and tremolo work well, although there is a bit of hiss in there somewhere.

The amp is free to me, might be a good project to convert to a tube amp... or at least get a three prong cord....

Anyone ever owned or still have one of these.

Good deal. For sure, get the amp checked out and have the plug converted. You might find that you like it. They should be nice for clean sounds and probably take pedals well.

As for the Martin... well... gosh, what can you say. If it needs serious repairs, take your time and find the right person to do it. Its worth doing right!

So let me get this straight, Someone you know just gave you a Martin O-15???

Something like that. It's a very small guitar, pretty much a travel guitar pre-WWII Martin. It was a student model at the time selling for something like $25. Odd thing is the guitar actually dates 1939, but some records indicate the model didn't come out until 1940. Show and tell later gents.

Anyone know much about the Gibson G20?

I have a 1957 O-15. Great guitar. A lot of fans for those guitars. There is a guy that restores old Martins over the winter. Runs a farm in the summer. I had him reset the neck, secure the bridge. Plays great now. It cost $300 well worth it. These usually sell for 1500 that need work to 2700++ if in great playable condition. I love the sound of these. Nice score. I want to say his last name is Kiney or Kinsley, there are some folks on this form familiar with his work. I will have to see if I can find it.

"Its not everyday someone gives me a pre-war Martin.

But when they do I talk about solid state amps."

DB, love ya like a distant relative 3x's removed on my cousins step fathers brothers wifes side but I think you got the order of cool stuff mixed up.

Congrats on the amp btw, thats, something ;)

That's a VERY VERY VERY cool guitar!!!!!

I'd STRONGLY suggest taking this project to Dave and Hesh at Ann Arbor guitars for a consult.

Congrats!

+1

They are long term pros who have worked on big time musicians' instruments, in addition to a few of us HOC "stars".

They are upstairs in Herb David's old store.

• 3 weeks later...

To go back to the amp...

The original owner bought the Gibson G20 for his acoustic guitar. While the amp was meant for electrics, acoustic amps didn't exist back then.

My assessment after careful research at Steiner Ranch has concluded the Gibson G20 is a fantastic amp for acoustics. It's a bit farty using an electric unless you are playing lightly Jazz or Blues. But as an acoustic amp? Wow!

Used a new Gibson J-29 (Fine instrument on loan for the occasion). I'm going to have my other Martin wired up to play through this little toaster!

Archived