Heritage Owners Club

Rust

Gtwibs

Hello all.

I purchased a 2016 530 from another forum member less than a year ago and it seems the frets, tuning pegs, and tailpiece are all acquiring rust fairly quickly. For the most part I store the guitar in its case in the closet in my basement. I've got a dehumifier in the basement to try and manage the humidity, but maybe the guitar is still moist in it's case? I keep a number of other guitars both in and outside of their cases in the basement as well and none of the others seem to having this issue, except a Martin acoustic that is also in it's case in the closet and has some rust on just the frets.

Has anyone else had similar issues with hardware rusting quickly? Should I be freaking out and take drastic action?

I just purchased a humidity gauge and some damp-rid to store in there that I'm thinking of using. I'm letting the gauge acclimate in the closet now, but im not expecting it to top 60%. I'll check back tomorrow and update. Maybe it was very high in the closet during the summer months?

I'd get a soft cloth and clean all of it. ( no harsh cleaners ) Sometimes body oils from our hands can have an acidic effect.

It may have to do with humidity.. or some kind of residue that somehow got on it.

I've never had any issues at all with Heritage hardware. Good Luck.

I've never had an issue with any of my guitars rusting. They tend to rotate from basement to upstairs and back. A good humidity gauge will settle in within a few minutes. No need to wait a day. Hopefully you got one with a memory to tell you the high and low readings over a day's time period.

Nickel and chrome won't "rust" but they will get some hazy oxidation. As for frets rusting, I guess I play my guitars too much for them to rust.

Back when I owned it, I kept this guitar in a case for about a year or so. The gold covered pickups developed a little bit of rust pitting. Since then, I keep my guitars hanging on the wall and try to avoid gold hardware which is said to require more care than chrome covers. (How many years will I go on kicking myself in the ass for selling this guitar to Jay Wolfe? hahaha Not Jay's fault, I like Jay, I just wish I would have kept it.)

gallery_679_394_49891.jpg

Archived