Heritage Owners Club

Guitar Picks

koula901

Hi folks!

I was thinking the ideal pick for me would be thin on one side for rhythm playing and medium on the other for picking notes.

Does anyone know if these exist, if so who makes them?

...and I still have that orange translucent Gravity pick that you gave to me at a PSP a number of years ago. I don't play with it (a little too thick), but it's become a sort of talisman, and it goes to every gig, in my pocket!

...and I still have that orange translucent Gravity pick that you gave to me at a PSP a number of years ago. I don't play with it (a little too thick), but it's become a sort of talisman, and it goes to every gig, in my pocket!

I can confirm that he ALWAYS has that pick with him.

:) that's sweet Rob.

Sometimes the thicker picks have a meater tone...that why I use this..

V-PICKS-Insanity-Guitar-Pick.jpg44insanitys1.jpg

Derek Trucks says that real men don't need picks!

m

DT is an amazing guitarist and known primarily for his slide playing, although he is great when he isn't playing slide. But I still contend that he would use a pick if he wasn't a slide player.

Robby Kreiger of the Doors said that learning to play primarily finger-style & not using a pick, limited him as a guitarist and he wished he would have learned how to play with a pick. And yes Robby Kreiger did say that (I am not sure your quote is authentic).

m

DT is an amazing guitarist and known primarily for his slide playing, although he is great when he isn't playing slide. But I still contend that he would use a pick if he wasn't a slide player.

Robby Kreiger of the Doors said that learning to play primarily finger-style & not using a pick, limited him as a guitarist and he wished he would have learned how to play with a pick. And yes Robby Kreiger did say that (I am not sure your quote is authentic).

I have seen him drop the slide and play his a** off without a pick also, not saying he would never use one, and your right, it wasn't even a quote, was just thinking about what Derek would REALLY say, and it would probably be something like "I wouldn't know what to do with a pick, never tried one..."

I can confirm that he ALWAYS has that pick with him.

... the image this conjurers up reminds me of a tune by Georgia Satellites...

Friend of mine gave me this pic, which (surprisingly to me as I've kinda stopped using picks for the most part) I really like.

http://guitarmoose.com/products/guitarmoose-stickygrip-guitar-picks-carbon-fiber-mini

I like to have a lot of selection on hand when it comes to picks.... :D

89DC130E-99C0-4130-9B46-B79A0BE76A8B_zps

I think this neurosis stems from having ONE pick when I was a kid, learning to play. That Fender 351 got worn out, cracked, and we didn't live near any music stores, and my Dad didn't seem to understand that they did, indeed, wear out!

Still, I find myself more often than not reaching for a large, triangular Fender Heavy pick, or a Fender 351 (standard shape) thin. Probably more and more the thin 351, as I seem to be playing acoustic more and more and more. Using the thumb and fingers a lot more these days, too.

I had to dig down to the bottom of this pile, but I found my pick that Katy gave me all those years ago.

98FC989B-5043-42E4-B576-6AF8B6DE3C99_zps

I never have used a pick.

Now I'd kind of like to start using one - at least sometimes - but I am not very dexterous and can't figure out how to hold/tuck the thing when I do or don't want to use it. I've seen some guys master that "trick" of fingerpicking, then grabbing a pick that has somehow been hidden up their sleeve like a magician.

Fingerpicks are another option that I have tried, but I can't find any that are comfortable enough to use consistently.

I've seen some guys master that "trick" of fingerpicking, then grabbing a pick that has somehow been hidden up their sleeve like a magician.

Warren Haynes, Sco and Joe Pass come to mind. This is the secret to the widest range of tone and expression. Pickups and amps far less so.

I never have used a pick.

Now I'd kind of like to start using one - at least sometimes - but I am not very dexterous and can't figure out how to hold/tuck the thing when I do or don't want to use it. I've seen some guys master that "trick" of fingerpicking, then grabbing a pick that has somehow been hidden up their sleeve like a magician.

Fingerpicks are another option that I have tried, but I can't find any that are comfortable enough to use consistently.

I use a technique where as I tuck a pick between my ring/pinky finger when I switch back and fourth from using my fingers and a pick.

Archived