Jump to content
Heritage Owners Club

Chicken head knob removal advice needed


Recommended Posts

I have a 20+ year old Peavey Classic 50, wonderful clean amp, sounds great still after all these years. However, when I turn the channel volume control the amp cracks and cuts in and out. If I find a position where it is working I leave it there, however if I adjust it, the amp will cut out almost entirely. I suspect it needs a good spraying. Which leads me to this question: how to safely lift and remove the chicken head knob to get into the shaft. There is no set screw, but that baby is on there tight! I just do not want to damage the faceplate or the shaft prying it off incorrectly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try working the amp's knob high to low, multiple times.  Generally, the sealed pots have a lifetime of dielectric grease.  You just need to work the knob to redistribute the grease.

Edited by Steiner
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steiner said:

Try working the amp's knob high to low, multiple times.  Generally, the sealed pots have a lifetime of dielectric grease.  You just need to work the knob to redistribute the grease.

I did do that a bit, but perhaps not enough. I'll work that knob back and forth until it screams for me to stop!

By the way, ever heard Mike Campbell's band, The Dirty Knobs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What Steiner said.

Though you still fell compelled to remove the knob; I usually take a microfiber cloth, or some other thin cloth like material, slide it under the knob, then sort of wrap and use the towel to pull it off. If not enough clearance for that, a piece of yarn/string would be my backup plan.  

My parting note - if it's not a totally sealed pot, then usually you can work in some deoxit stuff from the backside around where the wiring terminal lugs reside. (disclaimer: make sure amp is off and caps are discharged). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kbp810 said:

What Steiner said.

Though you still fell compelled to remove the knob; I usually take a microfiber cloth, or some other thin cloth like material, slide it under the knob, then sort of wrap and use the towel to pull it off. If not enough clearance for that, a piece of yarn/string would be my backup plan.  

My parting note - if it's not a totally sealed pot, then usually you can work in some deoxit stuff from the backside around where the wiring terminal lugs reside. (disclaimer: make sure amp is off and caps are discharged). 

Spot on Brian.  Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spraying from the back of the pots definitely does get much better coverage of the wiper and conductor.

They do make adapters that help the spray get into the pot better. It pretty much screws onto the pot and has a hole where you plug in the plastic tube.

Also, make sure the pot shafts are pointing upward if you are spraying the shaft end. Gravity does help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bolero said:

Cut it off with an axe & let the amp run around uncontrollably for a while

Sometimes, the easiest solutions are the best...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bolero said:

Cut it off with an axe & let the amp run around uncontrollably for a while

You made the Mt Dew come out of my nose..... you bum!  :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 7:23 PM, bolero said:

Cut it off with an axe & let the amp run around uncontrollably for a while

I don't understand...........................is this a Canadien thang?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, Steiner said:

Sometimes, the easiest solutions are the best...

I think I will stick with your solution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, ElNumero said:

I don't understand...........................is this a Canadien thang?

no, more of a rural/farm joke....if anyone has ever cut the head off a chicken, with an axe, you might get it ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bolero said:

no, more of a rural/farm joke....if anyone has ever cut the head off a chicken, with an axe, you might get it ;)

An awesome crack, even if I do say so.

+1

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 7:42 PM, Steiner said:

An awesome crack, even if I do say so.

+1

Some crack is awesome, other crack is not!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, ElNumero said:

I don't understand...........................is this a Canadien thang?

Tis but a bout of humor.  What happens when you cut da head off da chicken, eh?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...