Heritage Owners Club

Could I pick a favorite?

TalismanRich

I got together with a couple of friends again this afternoon to play some tunes.   Mostly I've been taking my H140.   Once I took my G&L ASAT.   A couple of weeks ago,  I took my G&L Legacy.    I like the way they all play.   They sound pretty darn good, although the guys commented that the Legacy sounded "thin".   Yeah, it's a SSS, so it doesn't have the beef on the bottom.    I haven't taken the 157 or Millenium, and while I took the 525 once as a backup, it never got out of the case.

Today, I took my H535, the one with the new machine heads.   After playing for almost 3 hours, I have to say that if I had to pick a favorite,  that would be it.   I don't know what it is about that guitar, but it sounds good,  to me, it plays like a dream,  it's got great upper fret access, and it's comfortable to hold for 3 hours (well 2 3/4 after taking a short bourbon break).    It looks sexy as hell with that nice Faded Cherry finish.  

There's nothing that guitar can't do.    I even did some finger picking on Helplessly Hoping!

It's a winner!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 7:28 PM, TalismanRich said:

I got together with a couple of friends again this afternoon to play some tunes.   Mostly I've been taking my H140.   Once I took my G&L ASAT.   A couple of weeks ago,  I took my G&L Legacy.    I like the way they all play.   They sound pretty darn good, although the guys commented that the Legacy sounded "thin".   Yeah, it's a SSS, so it doesn't have the beef on the bottom.    I haven't taken the 157 or Millenium, and while I took the 525 once as a backup, it never got out of the case.

Today, I took my H535, the one with the new machine heads.   After playing for almost 3 hours, I have to say that if I had to pick a favorite,  that would be it.   I don't know what it is about that guitar, but it sounds good,  to me, it plays like a dream,  it's got great upper fret access, and it's comfortable to hold for 3 hours (well 2 3/4 after taking a short bourbon break).    It looks sexy as hell with that nice Faded Cherry finish.  

There's nothing that guitar can't do.    I even did some finger picking on Helplessly Hoping!

It's a winner!

Trans cherry beats faded cherry all day long for sexiness.  Oops, did I just say trans?

Same for me.  I actually had an H535 and sold it because the neck was too thick for me.  Alas, I could not live without it and tracked down an older one with a thinner neck.  So, I once again have a 535 I love, but even moreso this time. 
BTW, mine looks almost identical to your profile pic :)

Edited by DrWario

4 minutes ago, yoslate said:

If I had to make a living with just one of my guitars, the 535 would be the rainmaker, no doubt.  Probably gigged more with that one than any other.

The 535 over your beloved CORE???  I would never guessed that.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:43 AM, rockabilly69 said:

Me either, the professor positively gushes about The Core :)

Yes...but the right tool for the job, and if anybody understands that, you do, Daniel!  I do love that Core!!  But for an all-around-get-it-done Swiss Army Knife guitar, it's the 535.

• Like 1

My overall favorite guitar type is 'semi-hollow'.  Over the years I found myself consistently grabbing either my H535 or H555. 

That said, my overall favorite semi-hollow is my very first semi (and first pro-level instrument), my '78 Ibanez 2630.  We've been through so much together! 

Basically, those are my #1, 2 & 3 top gitfiddles.  🙂

• Upvote 1

It's hard to disagree with a semi-hollow.  It's relatively light, has great sustain, no neck drop, versatility, and good looks.

I really like the H-530, but there can be a feedback issue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I don't choose a "favorite guitar that I would never sell" anymore because as soon as I do, that winds up being the first one that I sell if I get in a pinch.

I have guitars that I will never sell, but it's more for sentimental instruments.   My 157 was my first Heritage and my 50th birthday present to myself.  My Melancon was my "survived cancer" guitar... it waited for me in the store for over 6 months.    My Taylor was a gift from my parents, and my Guild was the guitar I bought in '73.    But if I had to pull out only one guitar to play,  it would be the 535.  

As Yoslate said,  it's a Swiss Army Knife of guitars.

• 3 weeks later...

I find myself playing a 535 regularly at home. One of my four 5*5’s is always on a stand to conveniently grab. Can’t argue with the sound, feel, balance, playability.  

I bought an Eastman SB57 this summer and I started playing it more than the Heritage for a while. The newness and because it is a really good guitar lead to it being the guitar that I played through the gig and the heritage was backup. I played my last two gigs with the Heritage because I felt guilty, like I betrayed my friend and all the reasons that I love the guitar flooded back and it’s the number one like it has been for the last 12 years. Sometimes when you love someone else for a bit you realize why you love the one your with. 

• Like 1