Heritage Owners Club

What are we using?

Steiner

You have a lot of preamp tubes on that chassis.  How many channels to you have under the hood?

The amp is a collection of Fender brownface and blackface circuits so no multiple gainstages

or master volume.  Just two simple channels with vibrato and reverb.

Going from left to right the tubes are brownface preamps 1 and 2, the next three are the 2-1/2 tube

vibrato circuit, and the last two are the blackface reverb circuit.  I used the extra triode as a makeup

gain stage after the vibrato which for some reason I never quite figured out was not as loud as the

other channel.

At the back are two 6v6's in parallel (so about 10w class A) and a 5U4GB rectifier.  There's an extra

socket for a phase inverter tube so I can convert the amp into a push-pull 6L6 monster if I wanted to

but I kind of doubt that will ever happen.

There are more details in this thread :

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,3618.0.html

Last night I dreamt this really vivid dream in which I decided to max out my amp just to see what it

sounded like, something I've never done with its current Red Fang speaker because it's just too loud

(I usually set it around 5).  It sounded great but then I saw smoke coming out of the back.  Took a

look inside and there were flames everywhere.  I managed to put the fire out but then the dream

went on to other things.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The amp is a collection of Fender brownface and blackface circuits so no multiple gainstages

or master volume.  Just two simple channels with vibrato and reverb.

Going from left to right the tubes are brownface preamps 1 and 2, the next three are the 2-1/2 tube

vibrato circuit, and the last two are the blackface reverb circuit.  I used the extra triode as a makeup

gain stage after the vibrato which for some reason I never quite figured out was not as loud as the

other channel.

This what I am talking about! ;D

Clean looking wiring I like the way different circuits are on different PTP boards.  Where did you get the chassis and rather large capacitors for your filter supply? Excellent cabinet work also.  Way to cool...

Where did you get the chassis and rather large capacitors for your filter supply?

The chassis is just a big 17" x 10" x 4"  Hammond box that I drilled and punched.  I

couldn't put everything inline like the usual Fenders because then the amp would

have been close to three feet long, so I folded things in two.  Even then things are

kind of crammed, I had to squeeze the components in the circuits closer together

than I would have liked.

The filter caps are Mallory's from Mouser.  The 600v ones are expensive and a bit of

a mistake from them being marked 600p in the Fender schematics, p being for peak

I found out later.

I've mentioned this before but anyone interested in building tube amps should drop

by the Music Electronics Forum at http://music-electronics-forum.com/home.php.

Tully - I've never been a Mesa guy but your amp continues to turn my head!

It appears you've found your TONE ;D

Yes I have. A few of them in the one amp.

I always thought I was a Fender and plexi marshall guy.

I wrote :

The filter caps are Mallory's from Mouser.  The 600v ones are expensive and a bit of

a mistake from them being marked 600p in the Fender schematics, p being for peak

I found out later.

Oops.  Make that Sprague Atoms, as are all the electrolytics.  Most of the rest

are Mallory 150 and 160s.

I wrote :

Oops.  Make that Sprague Atoms, as are all the electrolytics.  Most of the rest

are Mallory 150 and 160s.

Gentlemen - Me thinks we have an EE amongst us  :hiding:

Paul - that is an outstanding amp!  If I could build something half that complex, my breasts would swell to D-cup capacity!  :downtown:

You've displayed many cool electrical projects I'd love to try but wonder if I could complete.

My +1 hat's off to you!

Me thinks we have an EE amongst us

Thanks Steiner, but I'm a failed EE.  I'm much more of a tinkerer, was the kind of kid that

took everything apart instead of playing with it.  I did three years of electrical engineering

until I got lured away by software design which wasn't yet offered at university but was

really taking off in the industry.  I've since dropped out of software and am trying to get

into music.  Wish I'd started thirty or forty years ago.

I have a Fender Blues Junior (15w, 1 12" Jensen, EL84s). it was an ok little amp. Then I installed most of Bill M's mods (he has a web site if you're into Blues Juniors) and the improvement was astonishing.

I've also got what was my amp back in high school in the early to mid 70's (giving away my age)... a 74 Twin Reverb (100w with the optional, back then, orange back JBL 120 maybe 130 D's I forget). I had sold it to a friend, didn't see it for about 15 years then was able to buy it back. It sat around my house non functional for years. I just got done refurbing it (electrolytic caps, many resistors, added an adjustable bias feature to work in conjunction with the existing hum balance feature, installed a 3 prong  ac cord etc). Was able to leave in the old original, and supposedly well regarded, blue Mallory coupling caps as they still work.  The amp came back to life and I haven't even installed the new tubes yet. Currently doing a Blackface mod to it although I may leave the Master volume feature as is. Once it is done, I don't know what I'll do with it. It is crazy loud, if I tried to get it to break up with those JBL's I think my house might collapse. It also weighs about 90 lbs at least. There is however a sentimental attachement.

I'm not up on a lot of the current amps. I didn't play for many years and then til about a year ago only acoustic. I hear good things about DR Z's, kind of expensive though, the Voxs also look interesting. Do they run EL84 power tubes? The April edition of Guitar Player mag had an interesting article on a 20 W Egnater amp that I may check out. It retails for about $600. You can switch between a 6v6 or el84 power tube or blend a combination of both. Also, you can vary the output power from 1W to 20W. They raved about it in general.

Dr Z amps currently: Ghia, Galaxie and Z-28 with either 112 Z cab or 210 Z cab.

That said, I have also tried the 150 with Bad Cat, Mesa and Koch amps. All very nice. In fact,  the 150 has sounded nice with just about every amp ... even when I'm playing  :):rolleyes: :wink: 8)

Dr Z amps currently: Ghia, Galaxie and Z-28 with either 112 Z cab or 210 Z cab.

That said, I have also tried the 150 with Bad Cat, Mesa and Koch amps. All very nice. In fact,  the 150 has sounded nice with just about every amp ... even when I'm playing  :):rolleyes: :wink: 8)

:laughing4: Dude!! Got a good laugh out of that one.  :hello:

Well, yesterday I played my new 535 through my Clark Beaufort Special...Mike Clark's take on the tweed deluxe, but, his workingman's version.  His regular Clark Beaufort has all the high end electrical parts, and Celestion speaker, mine has the Jensen speaker and works just fine for me.  I don't know if the Special is being produced any longer, but, I recently spied 2 for sale on TGP, both were in the $800.00 range, asking price.  BTW, the 535 sounded just fine throught this amp.  I also have a Roland Cube 30 and an Allen Accomplice, the latter I will try to use with the 535 this weekend.

Hey emilio - we have similar amps so I know you have impeccable taste!  ;D    I've an Allen Accomplish Jr and the Lil Dawg version of a 5e3 tweed.  The 535 sounds great thru both  - in fact one of my most favorite combos is with the 535 going to an aby pedal into both the tweed and allen.  Allen set at very clean, with the tweed set at break up.  Whoa...  that's some powerful stuff, maynard  8)

I've been playing the Millie SAE thru the Tweed 5F4 Super. And that is one fine sound coming out of that amp. With the Normal channel it's quite clean. Bring in the Bright for a bit of gain and ... yeah baby!! And that Millie gets to vibrating and pushing some air. It's quite fun.

Play the same guitar thru the Tweed 5E3 and it's all Blues Baby! Very creamy OD. Just says power waiting to be released. No wonder them old rockers like the 5E3 Deluxe so much.

And my ASAT sounds pretty darned good thru them, too. Then last night I left the Tweeds at home and used my Vox AC30CC1 that is over at rehearsal. And THAT sounded pretty darned good, too. Very country. Twanged the leads to the point that I even sounded country. Who knew?

I've been playing the Millie SAE thru the Tweed 5F4 Super. And that is one fine sound coming out of that amp. With the Normal channel it's quite clean. Bring in the Bright for a bit of gain and ... yeah baby!! And that Millie gets to vibrating and pushing some air. It's quite fun.

Play the same guitar thru the Tweed 5E3 and it's all Blues Baby! Very creamy OD. Just says power waiting to be released. No wonder them old rockers like the 5E3 Deluxe so much.

And my ASAT sounds pretty darned good thru them, too. Then last night I left the Tweeds at home and used my Vox AC30CC1 that is over at rehearsal. And THAT sounded pretty darned good, too. Very country. Twanged the leads to the point that I even sounded country. Who knew?

Tulk - Have you ever split the guitar signal and played either Fender together with the Vox?  The way the 6L6s blend with the EL84 cleans can take you places that no individual amp can.  It's one of my favorite recipies :)

Tulk - Have you ever split the guitar signal and played either Fender together with the Vox?  The way the 6L6s blend with the EL84 cleans can take you places that no individual amp can.  It's one of my favorite recipies :)

No, I haven't. May just have to try that.:thumbsup: I was thinking of dragging the AC30 home, anyway. I could try that with the AC15, but honestly, it isn't near the amp that the AC30 is. There is just something nearing magical about the big Vox. I'll let you know.  8)

Kazwell (the oldtimers will remember that one....) put me onto that about a year ago.  Oh Boy, that can be some deep fun!  Do it all the time at the house, and if there's enough room on stage at a gig, I'll do it there, too.  Of course that's the kind of thing that only reinforces what everybody else in the band is always muttering about guitar players anyway.  Give it a go, Kenny.  It can be pretty rich!! 

Wish he never would have left; and that he'd come back.

Me too, but his loss. He just kind of "nuked out" one day and then he was gone??

Well to answer the orginal question "What are we playing through....?"

In order of output wattage...

1. Bogner Shiva El-34s head (80 watts) through a oversized 2x12.    Rock amp, not used a whole lot, but does the classic rock thing very well.

2. Chicago Blues Box "Roadhouse" 6L6s 40 watts (the epitome of a perfect blackface Super)

3. 1967 Blackface Vibrolux 6L6s 35 watts 2x10 alnicos (this amp just amazes me the more I play it. Not a great break up tone, even with pedals- but there is no better clean amp!)

4. Chicago Blues Box "Kingston" 6L6 30 watts 1x12 (well it has a tweedish vibe, not as much chime as the Vibrolux, but great headroom and takes pedals very well)

5. Carr Rambler 6L6s switchable 28/14 watts 1x12 (cross between the Vibrolux & Kingston- does it all VERY well. Desert Island amp)

6.1964 Gison Falcon tubes??? 15 watts 1x12 Alnico (always gets the "wow that sounds great, it's a Gibson?" response. Tweedish with the best verb/tremlo available)

7. Headstrong Lil King 6V6s14 watts 1x12 (perfect Princton reverb clone- runner up Desert Island amp- big fat, yet tight bottom. Takes pedals very well)

8. 1957 Deluxe Fender Reissue 12 watts 6V6 1x12 Alnico (original '58 Jensen arriving soon) this amp defines tweed distortion - Rev Gibbons to Beatles to the 'Stones to Neil Young. One trick pony, but it does to perfection. The perfect plug & play blues/rock amp.

There you go. Man I feel very lucky. Amp collection complete.

Kuz - I'll vote for you at the amp-whore award!  A focused collection and a groovy, bitchin', whore-banging selection.  Let me know if you need to put some in storage; I can help...

Nice amps Kuz. Nice.

No EL84 amps?

No. I had a Peavy classic 50 combo that sounded great. Then I thought I was going to be Pearl Jam and sold it for the Classic 50 head with a 4x10 and 1x15 stack- it sound like crap- very brittle & edgy. It totally tainted my feelings on EL-84s.

Then I started seeing all the touring rock groups (Pearl Jam, 10,000 Maniacs, ect) that were using the Peavy Classic 50s were using only the combos- I should have kept the combo!

Well to further get the AAS a rolling..... PICS!!!  >:D

1. Bogner Shiva EL34 head & oversized cab

th_ShivaHead.jpg

th_2x12Big2.jpg

2. Chicago Blues Box "Roadhouse" (mine is black in color)

th_2b.jpg

3. 1967 Vibrolux

th_BF_Vibrolux_Reverb.jpg

4. Chicago Blues Box "Kingston"

th_3b.jpg

5. Carr Rambler (mine is a cool green color)

th_carr-rambler-1.jpg

6. 1964 Gibson Falcon

th_1960s-gibson-falcon-amp.jpg

7. Headstrong Lil' King

th_brlk.jpg

8. '57 Deluxe Reissue

th_815-0500-000.jpg

Kuz - I'll vote for you at the amp-whore award! 

I've heard that John does, in fact, play those amps while wearing fishnet stockings, stilettos and a leopard print miniskirt, but my vote for "amp-whore" goes to slider...his collection has much more trash in it...?

Archived