Heritage Owners Club

What are we using?

Steiner

I'm actually in the market right now for a new amp.

Lately I was using a Fender RI '59 Bassman LTD, but even it is too big to schlep around for me anymore now that I'm approaching age 60. Besides, last time I thought I needed it for an outdoor concert a few weeks ago they mic'd me and I had to turn way down anyway.

Previous to that I'd used Tech 21 TM 60 and it was fine sounding, but still didn't  breathe like a tube amp.

I like everything about Victoria tweed Deluxe models except the price.

I like clean headroom for jazz with my H-575, and although 1X 12" combo transistor amps seem ok for that I appreciate warm tubes for sound and response. My problem is that anything bigger than a tweed Deluxe size is getting too heavy with tubes and transformers.

Suggestions appreciated. $600 is about all I want to spend right now. Currently I just use a Bogen C-35 with a 1 X 12 cabinet (about a 25w Eminence ceramic spkr), but it sounds sterile and I'd be better off phoning in my parts.

Check out the Fender Blues Deluxe RI.  Fender just had a huge price increase, so it might be more than you want to spend.  Still a great amp with sweet cleans and loves pedals...and not too heavy for us baby boomer players.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BluesDeluxe/

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out the Fender Blues Deluxe RI.  Fender just had a huge price increase, so it might be more than you want to spend.  Still a great amp with sweet cleans and loves pedals...

Thanks!

Good idea. I've liked the Devilles, but don't need that power or weight anymore. Perhaps a Blues Deluxe is an answer.

I'm actually in the market right now for a new amp.

Lately I was using a Fender RI '59 Bassman LTD, but even it is too big to schlep around for me anymore now that I'm approaching age 60. Besides, last time I thought I needed it for an outdoor concert a few weeks ago they mic'd me and I had to turn way down anyway.

Previous to that I'd used Tech 21 TM 60 and it was fine sounding, but still didn't  breathe like a tube amp.

I like everything about Victoria tweed Deluxe models except the price.

I like clean headroom for jazz with my H-575, and although 1X 12" combo transistor amps seem ok for that I appreciate warm tubes for sound and response. My problem is that anything bigger than a tweed Deluxe size is getting too heavy with tubes and transformers.

Suggestions appreciated. $600 is about all I want to spend right now. Currently I just use a Bogen C-35 with a 1 X 12 cabinet (about a 25w Eminence ceramic spkr), but it sounds sterile and I'd be better off phoning in my parts.

Then honestly save your money until you can afford more. I always end up disappointed when I have to compromise and then 6months or a year later would have had enough to buy what I really wanted but I am left with my first purchase and frustrated.

What that old saying, " the sting of an inferior product is still felt long after the lower price has been paid off"- or something like that.

What that old saying, " the sting of an inferior product is still felt long after the lower price has been paid off"- or something like that.

I like what Slate says... buy cheep, buy twice!

If I was looking for a jazz amp about 18-22 watts 12" verb and trem lots of headroom for about $600.00....

60's Ampeg Reverbarocket. couple of 7591A couple a 12AX7a and a 6U10

Thanks guys.

Yeah I appreciate the saving up for what you want thing, and probably will wait awhile anyway.

I'm still not sure exactly what I'd want even if price were no object.

The Blues Deluxe is as valid as any idea ight now.

In the past I've used Polytones but don't really want that now.

I did have a Heritage Kenny Burrell 1 X 12 a couple of years ago that sounded wonderful, but it was just too heavy for my ancient old back.

I'd go back to my old standard default Tech 21 TM 60, but I really like the way tube amps "breathe" even apart from levels that put some hair on the tone.

You'll have to put up with my geezerly idiocy. You may get used to it. I've had to!

am fortunate to have three Heritage amps (Victory, Colonial, Briton II) and Peter Mather's cabs. These things are *way* undervalued and if you're using solid state amps (or most anything else), your guitars in any of these amps will be a revelation...keep an eye on TGP members' emporium for crazy deals (one guy is asking <$1K for a Victory head)

also, i have three Juke amps and have had the first of the three for over six years. well worth your time to try, if you get the chance

;)

My favorite amp is the one I'm using now. A 1970 fender bassman head that, of course, has been slightly modded. It was hacked when I got it so it didn't hurt my feelings to fix it and do some "things" to it. It's had new transformers, I changed it to bias adjust and re-voiced the front end a little. Liek I said, it had been hacked on before I got it so it makes a great players amp. It works every week, and gets used with 2-1x12 cabinets with jbl's in them. Great combination with my 535 with classic 57's. AND, I can actually pick this up!

For some strange reason I thought I had responded to this thread, seems I hadn't.

Anyway, the valve amps I'm using at the moment are a Vox AC30CC2 and a Blues Jnr. I also have a Cube 30x and a Cyber Twin, both are actually decent amps and very good for home use as they have each have a headphone socket, but they tend to make every guitar sound generic.

The Vox is a seriously heavy amp but the tone more than makes up for it, I have it since December but I'm still finding new tones from it and it really brings out the differences in tone of all the guitars. It also works great with pedals, I'm using an Xotic AC Plus with a Tim pedal and a Barber Tone Press, not for distortion tones but for a very soulful boosted clean tone. The 535 and Prospect sound super through that set up, as do the ASATs, I'm giving myself goose bumps when I play it !

For a full on rock'n'roll blast off session I use a Duncan Twin Tube through the Vox or Junior. Again the 535 and Prospect sound awesome, the valve pedal into valve amp set up is a seriously good buzz to play. I can get very Marshall-esque sounds at low volume and control the feedback. Deliberately trying to get the Seths in the Prospect to feedback is a blast.

I fear I am getting AAS, amp acquisition syndrome, the local shop had its annual guitar fair a couple of weeks ago and they got a few new amps in for that. Mostly Fender and Marshall though, nothing "exotic" like a DrZ or a Carr, Swart etc. They got the Blues Deluxe Reissue, a great amp, wonderful tones and very cool looking, it has a hair trigger volume control though which rules it out for my needs.

Obligatory gratuitous pics ...

roadtest2.jpg

DSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0581.jpg

Now that's a great improvement over your previous rig.

It would look even better on an amp stand or better yet, a 4x12.

do you think that 55 watter would drive a 4x12 cab?

LMAO!!!

amps are where my knowledge ends....i dont know much about them, how they work or all the power/watts/electronic stuff.

i just plug the cable in where it says input, turn it on and turn those lil things that go to 10 :D:wav:

amps are where my knowledge ends....i dont know much about them, how they work or all the power/watts/electronic stuff.

i just plug the cable in where it says input, turn it on and turn those lil things that go to 10 :D:wav:

Here I'll give you a tutorial:

When you turn the lil' thingies to ten, make sure you've got your rent paid up to date, or have a spacious enough car to sleep in (not that I have any experience with landlords).

Within range of you

http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/1160825293.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1160944890.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1159248292.html

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/msg/1162298122.html

or do this

http://www.google.com/search?q=4x12+site:c...rt=300&sa=N

Don't go for a downsized 4x12, the low end is missing generally

thanks Mark!!!!

i assume the biggest factor in a 4x12 is the speakers?

what do i want to stay away from? if you buy a name like Mashal or Randal....do you necessarily get a better sound?

thanks Mark!!!!

i assume the biggest factor in a 4x12 is the speakers?

what do i want to stay away from? if you buy a name like Mashal or Randal....do you necessarily get a better sound?

You don't need to limit yourself to these brands. While they make well constructed cabinets, so do many others. The cabinet construction is one of the bigger factors after the speakers. Used particle board cabinets are cheaper but deteriorate over time, especially if you are moving them a lot (gigging). If you are keeping them home, re-fit with T-nuts for mounting the speakers and keep them out of moisture and they will do you fine. Otherwise a multi-ply wooden cabinet with dovetail joints like the Marshalls are best.

Celestion brand Vintage 30's (V30), Anniversary, Greenbacks, Heritages, and GT12-75s are the better Celestion speakers many use. Celestions tend to distort at a lower input power level which is a good or bad thing depending on the end use. EVM12Ls are the standard for higher end cabinets requiring higher power. They are clear and punchy when driven hard. Zakk Wylde uses these exclusively. My favorite cabinet that I have is actually a cheaper refitted Ampeg v412 cabinet in which I have 2 EVM12ls and 2 V30s. I get a good low end out of the cabinet and it cuts through without muddying up quite well.

Weber speakers are very good, but are generally delegated to smaller amplifiers or those where the owner/manufacturer are trying to get a more vintage sound. This comes from the "older processed" paper cones of the speakers, smaller voice coil diameters (less power handling capability/less heat dissipation), and the use of weaker magnet materials. This last part I got from Ted himself. The construction process of fabbing the Weber speaker itself is modern. I don't see you using a 4x12 with Weber as it would cost a bunch and be an overkill on the tonequest path.

Those I provided in the CL links looked to me to be acceptable cabinets for your usage and close enough to you for a day trip to go and snag. If you have questions after finding one you think is good, contact me or others here and we will help you to relieve youself of that nasty burden of monetary wealth...

I simply Use a Fender Blues Jr, with a tube screamer..I like the clean headroom I get with it.. Plus, the tube screamer gives me all the overdrive tone I need..I may sometime in the future, upgrade to a Twin Reverb, with a better quality overdrive pedal..The Rivera Amps I keep seeing on the HOC really intrigue me too..would Love to play through one..(Maybe at PSPII?) But for me, it's really important that my clean tone STAYS clean..Thats why I favor the Twin, even though the weigh like a million pounds..

Archived